Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Appreciating those little things.

2K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  1937Austin 
#1 ·
The last few days have found me gradually, and carefully eating everyday foods. Stuff that I never thought much about prior to the last few months. After being on a bland, low fat diet in an attempt to avoid upsetting my digestive system, and later my gallbladder when they figured out it was the culprit, I began to explore foods.
Started really Thursday when I came out of surgery just after lunch and in my room they asked me if I wanted to eat? Well at first I was puzzled with the question, since I had no idea I could? Then I asked what I could eat and the nurse handed me a menu and said, "Anything on the menu!"
What? Anything? I could see hamburgers, pizza, and a myriad of foods that all sounded great! But some voice in my head told me to be very cautious, so I ordered a turkey sandwich. Since my wife was there, I decided to split it with her too, as she hadn't eaten either. A decision I silently regretted soon after, as that turkey sandwich was the first real food I'd tasted in months, and it was pure heaven! Now I'm sure it was just a good sandwich, but after the long wait it sure seemed to be much more!
Now the last few days I've done as the doctor ordered and watched my fats to 3gr. a meal, and eaten small meals often, vs. 3 larger meals. But even a bologna sandwich tastes as good as that turkey sandwich. And a beef stew tonight for dinner was more exciting than I recall stew ever being!
I know this will all wear off as I get back to normal eating over the next few weeks, but it sure is enjoyable to see normal food in a whole new light after the drought!

See less See more
#4 ·
In 2013 I had gastric bypass surgery. I went from over 350 down to 175. The first month was pretty slow going with the bland, soft, pureed foods. But now, I can eat pretty much anything I want. My weight is steady at 205 and I feel great. Best thing I ever did for myself. I was diabetic taking insulin shots 4 times a day and it was killing me. One day after the surgery and no more diabetic! I am glad to see you are on the road to recovery. Take it easy and you will be back to normal very soon. Oh yeah, my wife had her surgery a month after I did and she lost 125 pounds. The only question I have is- what do the baby food companies do to baby food to make it taste so bad? Carrots that taste terrible. Sickening!

#7 ·
After I had my Gastric Bypass Surgery, I found out two things that always made me wonder. (1.) Why do babies cry so much and (2.) why does baby poop smell so bad. It's the baby food! That stuff is terrible,even the sweet stuff! I skipped that step in my gastric venture!

#10 ·
Not sure I could go that long without a good steak!
Pasta tonight! Yummy!

Saw the surgeon today and she gave me the lab report on my gallbladder. It said the tissue was mostly dead, and of course about to burst. It also mentioned the 2.3cm stone in it. She told me the gallbladder was so large she had to stuff a bag inside me to drain it first, and then remove the gallbladder after it was empty. She also said the bile was clear which meant it had been sitting in it not exiting for a long time.
I told her I hadn't felt this good in a couple years, and she told me the gallbladder likely was the cause all that time, but just took awhile to get bad enough to really put me down.
Now she'll do hernia surgery on me towards the end of June. Date to be determined when the hospital tells her the schedule. And lucky me, I have to take but another covid 19 test prior to that surgery too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.