Front Axle and Spindle Question
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Front Axle and Spindle Question

Front Axle and Spindle Question

Has anyone ever put 30-40's spindles on a early mopar axle? I've bought a 32 plymouth sedan, it has what looks like a 36 plymouth or dodge front axle. I've put a pic of it but most referred to it as the mopar wavy axle. I'm redoing the front susp, it won't be suicide and the steering rod will be in the rear. It is expensive for disc conversion on there and I've heard the ford spindles will work by reaming the axle king pin holes out to the ford pin size, I'm wanting to make sure I don't have any camber problems. I can get an 11 inch brake kit for the Ford spindles and steering arms are more plentiful. I'd just like to find someone that has done it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails imagejpeg_0.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Besides reaming the holes, need to also be sure the spindles have the same angle as the original spindles. And reaming can be expensive, unless you've got the mill or other equipment to set it up and get it right. Sometimes trying to use something like this can end up working fine, but at a cost that would be much higher than just finding a different axle.
    Vall

The reaming I can get done for free. I found a decent price on spindles but I'm worried about it changing the camber. Found a thread on the Hamb, some have done it without a camber change and a couple said it changed the camber. Don't know what to believe. I'd like to keep the mopar axle and I did find 2 places that sell disc conversions, 1 is out of sight on price but one isn't to bad. I think it is called Rusty Hope, about $250 but I still got to buy rotors, bearings, seals, calipers, hoses and pads.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

I've converted a fair number of straight axles to disc brakes, and a lot less than any kit. I buy these Speedway weld on caliper brackets, and cut and drill them to fit the spindle pattern.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Weld-...cket,3348.html

There's enough meat that once the excess is removed they fit great. I use cardboard to make a copy of the Speedway bracket. Then cut that to fit the spindle and mark holes. Then lay it back on the bracket and trace it. Then you can simply buy Grand Cherokee slip on rotors, and change the studs out to longer studs for the rotor thickness. Buy a pair of 1st Gen Camaro/Nova calipers, and you've got your disc brake conversion for around $125.
    Vall

Do you have 3 or 4 hole mounting for the backing plate ? there is a few different spindle sizes stud wise so you need to tear it down and measure what you have..if you have to make a change in camber to make it work you not only have to get the camber right but you need to be sure the bearing surface on the spindle pin boss is correct to the axle bearing surface...where I would start is go back on the hamb and see if any one has the parts list from Rusty hope and ask for the list of parts then see if you can find a bearing set that fits..probably not ...or a rotor that has the same diameter and off set...or you can get the ford spindle specs and and measure the axle camber and pin specs and see what you have to work with...research is free...also there are a lot of spindle bushing that have a thicker bearing surface that will allow you too shim down the ford spindle to the mopar axle and may have enough to also allow and off set ream if needed...here is a good setup you need the rotors and a set of loaded calipers ..slip on rotors are cheap also..https://scarebird.com/index.php?rout...product_id=195 O know that it says 37 up but may be the same spindle design but the later king pin diameter
    Last edited by Road Angels; 12-04-2019 at 09:09 PM.
    Lash...Washington Chapter and Member...Mean Old Bastards Club

I'm getting the car in 2 to 3 weeks, it's being delivered from Colorado. I'll tear it down then. I seen the different spindles on the Rustyhope site. 46Austin I thought about that. The axle appears to have drums on it so you are saying use the hub, new bearings and slide a jeep rotor over it? I've put the gm calipers on a few already, put air to them with them bolted on the bracket and spot weld.

When I said weld, I meant on the rear. Wonder if the 2001 back 4x4 front rotors would work? Same 4.5 pattern.

No reason you need to stick with front or back rotors, but sometimes back rotors are deeper, which means you'd have to put thick spacer bushings on the caliper bracket to align it with the rotor. That's not a good idea! I'd personally keep spacers down to maybe 1/2", or 3/4" maximum.
    As for sliding the rotors over the stock hub. Yes, that's what I've done, but needs to have the same bolt pattern as the donor rotor, or you'll have to redrill the rotor to match. Also you might need to open up the center hole on the rotor to fit some early hubs. And occasionally early drum/hub combos are riveted together. In that case I grind the rivet heads off and break them apart.
    You only need to use 3 of the usual 4 bolts that spindles have for drum backing plates to mount the caliper. If the Speedway bracket wont cover 3 holes I simply make up a piece of metal to reach the 3rd hole and bolt it all on the spindle. Then tack it together and pull it off to finish welding the extension for the 3rd hole.
    This is a bit of work to convert to disc brakes, but it saves a huge amount of money, and you end up with factory parts that can be easily replaced if ever need be. I always prefer to do more labor and save money on my builds. Just the tightwad in me.
    Vall

I have more time than money! Rock Auto has specs on their rotors, Front Explorer, 4x4 rotors, 11.25 Dia, Height 2.590, Jeep Grand C, 12 in Dia, height 2.5. I would use the 77 back big GM calipers. The only draw back I can think of on the hubs is the bearings and races. I can't find a good pic but wasn't a lot of the earlier cars equipped with a ball bearing deal? If I could get the size of the bearing and race, or cup as some refer to it, I might be able to cross it over.

Also, all the 30's plymouth cars show a 4.5 on 5 BP from what I've researched.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements