Front Axle and Spindle Question - Page 2
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Front Axle and Spindle Question

Yes, the early Mopars are 4.5"bolt pattern. I'd not be too worried about ball bearings if you can't easily change to roller bearings. Properly adjusted they can last forever, especially with the miles we put on our cars. Most of the disc brake conversion kits use the Grande Cherokee rotors. Not familiar with the Explorer rotors.
    Vall

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

The Jeep rotors are 12 in which is a nice size for the front. I didn't know how they would hold up to a BBC with steel heads. I've seen them but never had experience with them.

Well I had a 1971 Camaro with BBC and cast iron heads, and they ran even smaller front disc brakes, so a 12" would be more than enough in an even lighter car. You'd be fine even with the smaller rotors that Chevy used in the late 60's and early 70's that were 11".
    Vall

I'm going to get the car here and tear it down, Rustyhope has pics of all the mopar spindles. Maybe they will sell the bearings separate. Vall I had the 9 inch on the front of my A, it had chevy spindles, 11's wouldn't fit, and 11 3/4 on the rear, manual brakes and it stopped good. Bigger is better though, right?! I think RustyHope uses Probe rotors, they are only 10 in and a little less than 2 in height wise. I'll update when this car gets here, thanks for the help.

I was thinking about what i would have done different on my axle...I would have ran the early f-1 spindles on my truck....and used the larger disc brakes and been able to use the stock cast on steering arms...they are much beefer than the early ford spindles that every one is selling....I did go the extra bucks to buy a set of Roadster Shop spindles that are the beefy ones that need no bearing sleeve...I did not use the f-1's because of the wheels I was using and wanted the smaller looking brakes for the look...cost me about another $400 to get the look....
    Lash

I have the smaller 9" rotors on my Austin, with 10.5" drums on the rear. No power assist, but they'll easily lock up all 4 wheels in a panic stop and bring my car to a quick stop if need be. But my Falcon with the BBC and a lot more weight was drum brakes all around and stopped just as well. So I think any braking system in good shape will work with the little Mopar you're buying, and stop it way better than it did back in the 1930's.
    Vall

Got the car Monday, it made it's 1350 mile trip here. Here are some pics of the axle, apparently with some research it is a 36/59 truck or 40/42 car axle. Hubs and bearings, tapered, look really good. I can build a set of disc brakes for it. The 4 bar set up is cheap looking and doesn't give enough room for a rear tie rod. May go with radius rods. Since it's got a 124 wheel base now, I'll have plenty of room to install a model A type cross member to mount the spring in. Don't care for the rat rod suicide set up. Haven't got to fool with it much, working on other peoples junk, hopefully I'll have time tomorrow. The wheel was on the front, old fenton, and the other front wheel was a cragar. It has 2 cragar 15x10's on the rear with N50's from the 70's, the chrome is still good!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20191224_122901.jpg   20191224_122932.jpg   20191224_122832.jpg  

Those are certainly some beefy brackets for the hairpins! If there's no room for a rear side tierod, you can go to a front side tierod. And you can flip that steering arm over to the passenger side and do a cross steer.
    Vall

I agree with Vall the brackets look plenty strong...you have a great setup to work with the front spring hanger can accommodate an over the axle spring set up it you want...but will change the wheel base by about 4 inch's...shorter
    Lash

11. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements