Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Hello from North Alabama

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  mmhotrod 
#1 ·
I’m new to the website. Building a 1966 Chevelle SS. 489 stroker big block, Richmond super street 5 speed. I hope to have it finished by spring! Putting the finishing touches on it now. Changing gremlins to!

#2 ·
Welcome to

the site!! So, a 66 Chevelle, nice. Which road you going down, gasser or hot rod? Don't see to many 66-67 Chevelles with straight axles but I think it'd be a great look myself and definitely set you apart from the pack. Which ever though, gasser or hot rod, everyone here loves photos and build updates. Hope to see you start a build thread on the Project Update page and don't be a stranger.

#3 ·
Welcome to the forum. Would love to see pics of your 66. We love pics and videos.

#9 ·
Hey Vall

I believe I remember an old adage from when I was a kid that I think pretty much covers the SEGA governing body and that's: "my ball, my rules"; I'm sure you probably remember it too. That's what was once so nice about drag racing decades ago; you had a choice. The NHRA, the AHRA and the UDRA just to name a few. When the NHRA came out with their 3 "professional" classes; top fuel, funny car, pro stock and kicked the gas class to the curb they lost me as a member and supporter. The other thing I really thought was bull shit was when bracket racing was initiated. I mean what was the point when guys had a 10 second car and were running on a 10.30 or higher dial in and back pedaling on the top end, all that did was pervert the sport. But then it's really no different than guys running in super gas today with cars that are quite capable of running in the high 8s but are running on a 9.90 index and hope that their 2 or 3 step box wins the race for them.
Remember when racing and boobs were real? Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Automotive tire
Photograph White Black Human Standing
Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Land vehicle

#10 ·
I agree Steve. But SEGA is a small segment of today's Gas class type cars, and what they do down in the SE isn't representative of the rest of the USA, nor representative of what the 1967 rules were. So worrying about whether a car meets SEGA rules isn't worth the time unless the owner plans to run SEGA races.
Both of my gassers wont meet SEGA rules, and i could care less. It's a long drive from Oregon to their track, so I wont lose sleep over running an automatic, or coilovers.

#11 ·
Thanks for the reply’s!! My 1966 Chevelle SS is going the Hot Rod direction for now. It sports a 489 stroker big block backed by a Richmond 5 speed. I’m still working on the car, hoping to have it ready for the Hot Rod reunion in Bowling Green this Spring!

#13 · (Edited)
Nice

looking muscle car. I commend you on your style wheels and size. For me you can't beat the classics; Cragars, American Torque Thrust or Ansen slots. I realize it's "to each his own" but sometimes I think owners get it wrong. I've got a good friend whose brother recently built a beautiful blown 67 Chevelle, first rate everything then he completely screwed the pooch (for me anyway) with the wheels. He went with 19" or 20" polished Torque Thrust D wheels with low profile side wall tires that I think completely ruined the look of the car. But then, what the hell do I know; I'm stuck in the 60s'

#16 ·
Same with East coast gassers. They told my friend Gary his dodge didn’t have a straight axle and they didn’t want him to participate in their events. Gasser Magazine embraced him at Beaver Springs. I think that was his last pass in the car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.