straight axle with coil overs
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: straight axle with coil overs

straight axle with coil overs

hi guys..picking up a dropped axle( tube) with coil overs with radius rods, discs...may not be a traditional set up, but was thinking cost, weight and handling, it may be the way to go...anyone use a setup like this? any input would be great...thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Yes, I put the same system under my buddy's '37 Plymouth coupe recently.

They work fine as long as you don't want the front stance too high. The higher you go, the more issues you'll have with geometry and handling. So keep it down lower if you use the coilovers and radius rods.
    The "Two Lane Blacktop" '55 Chevy used a similar setup, but it sat almost stock height.
    Vall

Wouldn't pass SEGA "1967 rules". Even tho allot of '67 cars ran it to get the noses down. It seems that I remember a certain guy from Ohio named George that ran coil overs in '67. In a Willy's AND a Mustang.
    Hidden Content I have no extra cigarettes, money, beer or pot. But I do have extra bullits. Scott

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

SEGA rules have little to do with real NHRA rules for Gas Class back then. There was no rule against coil over shocks in NHRA Gas Class. Yes, very few used them, but not because of any rule, but because they were new technology at that time.
    PS-There also wasn't any rule against automatic transmissions in NHRA Gas Class, but there is in SEGA. And no rule stating the rockers had to be above the front spindle either, but there is in SEGA. And no wheel type rule back then either. Do I need to go on about silly SEGA rules?
    Vall

And the list goes on. '67 rule book?
    Hidden Content I have no extra cigarettes, money, beer or pot. But I do have extra bullits. Scott

thanks for the input...and picture. Appears i will have to locate the shock perches to were I am comfortable with ride height. As i posted, not looking for any skyscraper, but a nice conservative stance. As for sega... all due respect to them, but the gassers here dont follow their rules. lucky me huh?...lol..

Quote Originally Posted by chopperwarehouse View Post
    thanks for the input...and picture. Appears i will have to locate the shock perches to were I am comfortable with ride height. As i posted, not looking for any skyscraper, but a nice conservative stance. As for sega... all due respect to them, but the gassers here dont follow their rules. lucky me huh?...lol..
    Not only would you need to locate top shock perches for ride height, but also the rear hairpin or rod for ride height also. The higher you go at the axle, the lower you need to drop the back hairpin end. So you don't want to end up with that rear mount hanging down a mile and looking a bit weird.
    In the case of Mike's altered coupe I put the rear mount through the bottom of the frame rail. It would have been OK a couple inches below it too, but I've seen them hanging down 6"-8" and it looks a bit weird.
    Vall

Call the SEGA rules silly if you want to, but they sure pack the houses where they run !!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by coololdcars View Post
    Call the SEGA rules silly if you want to, but they sure pack the houses where they run !!!!!
    Nobody ever said they don't get a audience. But many of their rules actually eliminate real gassers from the day! That's sad when made up rules are supposed to make things more fun to watch, but actually disqualify real cars that met the original rules from competing.
    To me that's silly.
    Vall

Agreed!! If you are going to "claim" REAL '67 rules, then follow the NHRA, IHRA, or AHRA, rule books. Like no glass bodies ! Upolstered interiors, but I think in '67 didn't to have interiors. Don't have my rule book in front of me.

13. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements