tunnel ram
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tunnel ram

tunnel ram

OK guys, I have decided I really want to put a tunnel ram on the 51. I have an opportunity to buy a single 4 barrel and a dual quad. What if any are the pros and cons? Look wise, you cannot beat the dual 4's. That is all I know.
    Dave

I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

The single 4 tunnel ram works, but doesn't have quite as good fuel distribution with a centered carb as the dual 4 has. But it is much more economical to buy, and to drive. I wouldn't hesitate to use either, so if the only factor is cost and you want to save money then go single 4 barrel.
    If you do go dual 4 barrel setup then please don't use those Holley 450's they say are made for dual quads! They are the worst excuse for a carburetor ever sold. They have no secondary accelerator pumps, but somehow Holley makes them with mechanical secondaries and thinks that's supposed to work. It doesn't.
    If you go the single 3 barrel, I'd get a good double pumper in a 650 or 750 depending on the engine build.
    Vall

I just want to mention I have 2 1850’s on my MG using the back carb for driving and the front carb is on progressive linkage so it comes in almost half throttle of the primary. Regular used 1850’s are usually cheap enough and still only use one carb driving around town. You tune the back carb and leave the front carb with small jetting so it won’t soak the plugs with gas. Only trick is to get the right power valve on the back carb for the cam you use.
    my coupe has sideways dbl pumpers and is not the most comfortable to drive on the street but wide open is pretty cool.
    jmho

ps get the 2 velocity stacks up to the hood so cool
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Thanks for the input. I do have one question- will an HEI distributor work with a tunnel ram?
    Dave

I need to look at mine. I have an Offy on one and a weiand on the other. I’m gonna guess and say no at this point. But I wouldn’t want an Hei unless it’s been all upgraded which puts you half way to an Msd or Mallory unilite anyway.
    I have a video as to what happens to a regular hei and spark plugs at 4000 rpm. You won’t believe it. I gotta find the video on YouTube.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mhAL1co9i9A
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

aw crap. More money I did not anticipate.
    Dave

I really like GM HEI distributors for a daily driver, or modest build. But for a performance build I prefer aftermarket small diameter distributors. I have several HEI's in my storage shed, and contemplated putting on in my '39 coupe, but they require so much firewall clearance I decided to use one of my leftover points distributors and put an electronic conversion kit in it. That's the least expensive way to go. You can find old points distributors all over for $10-$15.
    Vall

As far as distributors go, I will add that I have had very good luck with my Pertronix Flame Thrower and the Igniter III module . It is a small body distributor and it has the built in rev limiter.
    Tony

i will be running 2 holley 390's on my falcon . 302 roller motor with 300x cam and tunnel ram . not building it for strip just old school gasser i intend on driving a lot . the 390's work very well on the street and are pretty easy to tune .

i agree on the 450's . pia to tune .

I ran the twin 1850's I got from Mario on my BBC in the Falcon and loved them. I did have to jet them up quite large for the 464c.i. engine as they came with #64 jets, and Mario got me straightened out on bigger jets to richen it up.|
    I have a brand new pair of 1850's sitting in my storage shed. I bought them cheap because someone removed the vacuum secondary parts, but the parts came with them. Unfortunately some linkage is missing, and I haven't found a source for the pieces. I may end up shipping them both to Holley if they're not crazy high to put them back together.
    Vall

13. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements