tunnel ram - Page 2
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: tunnel ram

I did not know they even made conversion kits! I ran ones on my Harley's and did not even think about ones for V8's. I can handle that. Anyone want a brand new HEI distributor? Cheap!
    Dave

I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Dave there are vast numbers of conversion kits. Pertronix started it out, and their kits are the highest priced. I think around $100 today? Mallory sells a kit too. But I just bought a FAST kit for mine and it was half that on Ebay. Of course the Chinese have gone nuts ripping the kits off also, and theirs sell for about $20. But I haven't heard anything about the quality of the Chinese kits.
    Vall

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    Dave there are vast numbers of conversion kits. Pertronix started it out, and their kits are the highest priced. I think around $100 today? Mallory sells a kit too. But I just bought a FAST kit for mine and it was half that on Ebay. Of course the Chinese have gone nuts ripping the kits off also, and theirs sell for about $20. But I haven't heard anything about the quality of the Chinese kits.
    I just found a factory disty with a MSD kit and cap already installed for 40!
    Dave

You sure it's an MSD Dave? I've never heard of MSD selling conversion kits for factory distributors? It's either a MSD distributor, or it's somebody else's kit.
    But if it's an MSD and it turns out to not be good, they repair them pretty reasonably. I've bought them occasionally with issues, and rarely cost more than $25 to be repaired.
    Vall

He was not too clear on his ad. Here is what I got. I cannot find a part number on it except O8AB-V4 on it. I also picked up this tunnel ram for 200!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191111_083222_resized.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	44.4 KB 
ID:	101651

Name:	20191111_083228_HDR_resized.jpg 
Size:	44.9 KB 
ID:	101653

Name:	Capture+_2019-11-10-18-17-22_resized.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	47.1 KB 
ID:	101655

Name:	Capture+_2019-11-10-18-17-31_resized.jpg 
Size:	30.8 KB 
ID:	101657
    Dave

Doesn't look like the MSD adapter units I've seen, but maybe it's an earlier version. I see some writing on the edge of the plate the rotor is mounted to. Maybe you can look at that with a magnifying glass and make out what it says there?
    MSD bought Mallory, and it could be one of either company's products. A email to MSD with the module number might be in order. Ask them if it's theirs and if they can set you up with instructions for installation and wiring.
    Vall

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    Doesn't look like the MSD adapter units I've seen, but maybe it's an earlier version. I see some writing on the edge of the plate the rotor is mounted to. Maybe you can look at that with a magnifying glass and make out what it says there?
    MSD bought Mallory, and it could be one of either company's products. A email to MSD with the module number might be in order. Ask them if it's theirs and if they can set you up with instructions for installation and wiring.
    That writing is a patent number. Maybe I will ask tech support about it.
    Dave

Vall! boy did I score. As i was sitting here at my desk, I noticed some writing on the bottom of the module. It turns out it is a pertronix Ignitor module!
    Dave

It certainly

looks like a Pertronix unit to me and that part number also looks like it too.
    Steve Hidden Content in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

Quote Originally Posted by dsb View Post
    Vall! boy did I score. As i was sitting here at my desk, I noticed some writing on the bottom of the module. It turns out it is a pertronix Ignitor module!
    Yes, I've had good luck with Pertronix. But I've also heard a lot of guys who have had bad luck with them. Hope yours is one of the good ones like mine was!
    Vall

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements