Don't know - Page 2
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Don't know

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    When on your computer near the bid prices there is a bids line to click on and it will show you who bid and how many times they bid in order. Anyone with this type of name “a***3” may or may not be legit. You will see these names stacking bids all the time on auctions early. I doubt they’re legit. When I get home I can screen shot it for you.
    Mario, Since Ebay hides all bidders identification using that same way, I can look at anyone's bids and even if I know who they are it comes up that same way with asterisks and a letter on each end. I don't think that means they're shill bidders? Unless I still don't get what you mean by this?
    Vall

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    Mario, Since Ebay hides all bidders identification using that same way, I can look at anyone's bids and even if I know who they are it comes up that same way with asterisks and a letter on each end. I don't think that means they're shill bidders? Unless I still don't get what you mean by this?

when I bid under my mmhotrod it shows up as mmhotrod. The others with the asterisk are names the phantom bidders use. I haven’t bid in an auction for a while and maybe I’m wrong. Are you saying that if you looked at my bid it wouldn’t be mmhotrod?
    Last edited by mmhotrod; 11-06-2019 at 01:24 PM.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Quote Originally Posted by sbauman2 View Post
    Ebay came up with that system to prevent buyers from contacting each other. If you remember years ago the bidding history would show the bidders ebay ID which in turn would allow anyone to contact them directly through ebay. Evidently ebay was losing a lot of money by sellers and buyers making deals outside of ebay. They've also developed some protocol that can determine if you're trying to include personal information in any communication with a seller. This is not to say that a seller isn't using friends to bid on an item to raise the bid amount but then a seller runs the risk of a real bidder not bidding because the price has gotten to high and the seller is stuck with the friends bid being the last at the end of the auction. I've taken to just entering the max I'm willing to pay for an item and if the bidding goes over that, oh well..........
    Ebay has all sorts of ways to prevent contact. I have a friend who sells all the time there, and he was asked by a buyer for his phone number so the buyer could hammer out details. He sent it and immediately got banned from Ebay for doing so. He called them up and explained, so they eventually reinstated him, but it took a week or two of suspension before they fixed it.
    And I'm unsure how some companies list their phone numbers, addresses, and email all in an ad or link there, while others get their phone numbers deleted by Ebay? Some use their company name as an Ebay user name, so it's easy to Google the name and find the company. That's how I was able to contact the seller when I bought my Austin. I googled his name and it came up as an equipment supply place about 40 miles from me. So I called and went out to look at it first. Tried to give him the full amount right there so he could close his Ebay auction, but he made me sit down and do the Buy It Now on his computer, and then hand him the cash. Seemed stupid to me, but it was his loss.
    Vall

The seller

got his asking price; more than I was willing to pay though. As it turns out his price was a deal. I looked at other people selling the same thing and they all want over $400 and some as high as $700.
    Last edited by sbauman2; 11-11-2019 at 02:28 PM.
    Steve Hidden Content in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    when I bid under my mmhotrod it shows up as mmhotrod. The others with the asterisk are names the phantom bidders use. I haven’t bid in an auction for a while and maybe I’m wrong. Are you saying that if you looked at my bid it wouldn’t be mmhotrod?
    No Mario, you can see your name as the user name you use, but if I looked at something you bid on I could only see the first and last letter with the asterisks in between. Doesn't make you a shill bidder. If I look at something I'm bidding on I see my name also, but you can't see it without asterisks in my name.
    Vall

7. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements