Holly crap
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

Thread: Holly crap

Holly crap

I thought the wheel wells were butchered....but then I looked at the steering linkage holly crap... link https://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-Mercur...EAAOSwnhddq-Mb
    Lash

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Holy crap is right! I can't help but think the angle is only exaggerated by the length of the drag link to cross steer to the driver's side. That's got to be an ill handling car to drive. Maybe that's why it looks just finished, and already up for sale?
    Vall

Ok I will bite clue some of us Newbs to whats wrong with this set up please.

Personally I dont care for the extra Blocks he added to the bottom of the frame to mount the front spring mounts.

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Doright View Post
    Ok I will bite clue some of us Newbs to whats wrong with this set up please.

Personally I dont care for the extra Blocks he added to the bottom of the frame to mount the front spring mounts.
    Blocks or built up mounts aren't a problem, and actually much preferred over putting a greater arc in a spring to attain height. But the drag link that is the rod that goes from the steering box's pitman arm to the steering arm on the backing plate has two issues on that car.
    First it should always go to the opposite side of the car from the steering box.
    Second it should be as level as possible.

By going to the driver's side with a very short drag link, and then add the extreme angle it has, it will end up with "bump steer", which refers to the wheels being pushed left or right as the suspension compresses and the angle causes the wheels to be pushed to one side. If the angle is flat you wont get any bump steer. And if the length of the drag link is as long as possible it further reduces the odds of bump steer.
    Now if this was the old style push/pull steering where the drag link pushed forward or back to turn the wheels, then it would always be on the same side as the steering box, but should still be a level drag link to work.

Hope I explained this so it makes sense?

The blocks would be better supported if the builder had installed a tube between them to laterally support them. But it's not as much necessary as it is just a good idea.
    The front shackle perch is a wimpy Speedway item, and they've been used on hundreds of builds. But I refuse to use them as I think they look weak and poorly designed. I prefer to build something more substantial, so I've got a couple pairs of those perches for the shackle that are sitting in my scrap metal bin.
    Vall

I agree with both Vall and Lash. Those guys must had been smoking something that's illegal in my state LOL.
    Rik

I think Doright is right, those riser blocks need to go. That car sits stupid high in front. Just my opinion. Drag link is wrong, too.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by ol blue View Post
    I think Doright is right, those riser blocks need to go. That car sits stupid high in front. Just my opinion. Drag link is wrong, too.
    I agree about the front height too Gary. But riser blocks are often used front and back for spring mounting, especially when guys want to get street freak high with their stance.
    Vall

Vall
    You made it incredibly clear! I get it, I seam to remember reading what you said some where before as well.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements