Torsion bar front end? - Page 3
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Torsion bar front end?

I dont think it will be much over 2500 but maybe ? wont know till its built and weighed.
    The body is pretty light as it sits on my body dolly right now?

I will probably go with a Transverse leaf and Hair pins, I have seen several old pics of cars set up with the look I am after. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...010937/page-70

Going with a single will keep costs down and will be quicker to build as Speedway has all the parts, that's a big plus as I dont want to retire on this project.
    My plate is full and I am wasting day light sitting in front of this computer on my day off when I should be out in the shop getting something done.

I guess at this point I have to figure out ride height, and spring rates suspension travel and such.

Studebaker Gasser:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjZ7pmQbIfc&t=2s

This is a 61 Hawk I am building a 62 hawk same car basically different back window and roof line is square in back instead of round.
    I want mine to be lower all around with the front end down on the ground not sky hi and not so much engine set back as well.
    Last edited by Doright; 10-08-2019 at 01:04 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Curb weight on your Hawk was 3200 lbs. I think you're going to be hard pressed to get it down anywhere near 2500 lbs.
    Vall

I dont think it will be much over 2500 but maybe ? wont know till its built and weighed.
    The body is pretty light as it sits on my body dolly right now?

I will probably go with a Transverse leaf and Hair pins, I have seen several old pics of cars set up with the look I am after. https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...010937/page-70

It will keep costs down and will be quicker to build, and thats a big plus as I dont want to retire on this project.
    My plate is full and I am wasting day light sitting in front of this computer on my day off when I should be out in the shop getting something done.

Look at Lash's (Road Angel) transverse spring build on his Ranger PU. A super clean, well engineered installation.
    If you plan to race your gasser, be prepared to run the front a bit stiffer to handle issues with control at high speed. Have a local guy here who put a transverse spring setup in his '67 Tempest with a blown Pontiac that goes 150 mph in the 1/4. He said it got dangerously squirrelly when he got out of the throttle at high speed. He fixed it by adding air shocks to the front so he could stiffen it for the drags, and let some air out for regular driving. Same could be done using coilovers with the transverse spring setup, and dial in preload.
    Vall

I looked for his build thread but couldnt find it.

On a side note I just got some plans for a custom Drag race frame builds Willys frame 37-42 and a Anglia 39-53 I am liking the Anglia frame design.
    I think I can make it work under my frame. There are other ways to go as well everything is still up in the air.
    Last edited by Doright; 10-15-2019 at 12:18 AM.

Open the

'Project Update' section. Scroll until you find the "Made Some Progress" thread and you're there.
    Steve Hidden Content in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

Quote Originally Posted by Doright View Post
    I looked for his build thread but couldnt find it.

On a side note I just got some plans for a custom Drag race frame builds Willys frame 37-42 and a Anglia 39-53 I am liking the Anglia frame design.
    I think I can make it work under my frame. There are other ways to go as well everything is still up in the air.
    The Willys and Anglia cars were chosen because of their lightweight frames that made them more competitive. Even later in the Gas Class years Willys frames were often used under other bodies since the rules stated factory frames must be used, but didn't say they had to be from the same body style. Lot of old Willys bodies got removed and crushed, but the chassis got used on newer bodies.
    Ohio George Montgomery did so with his '33 WIllys chassis under the Mustang when he first went to the Mustang body and big Ford engine. But he said it was much too scary handling, and rule changes allowed a tube frame by then. So he put the Willys frame back under his '33 Willys and built a tube frame for the Mustang.
    Vall

weight

Every pound you lose in tossing factory parts you gain back in racing and safety parts...I stripped my entire inside and went with all light weight stuff but I gained back every pound...with the added roll bar... fire extinguisher...of course my inside was plastic to begin with but you get the Idea...most weight to be saved will be engine components alloy heads intake and so on...will not save on wheels big tires are heavy...the weight I will save using an aluminium head and h2O pump will be eaten up by the wheelie bars and Parachute system..I will save about 15lbs on the front transverse axle
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails roll'in 007.jpg  
    Lash

That all makes sense to me the more I look at current and older race cars I ask myself how they are lighter than the street car they were and in fact they are not.

This weekend I plan on finishing up the Cowl replacement and finishing up installing the wheel wells in the 70 Firebird I'm working on currently.
    I have to roll it out side for some quick Glass blasting of cowl area real quick and prep for some Epoxy, I should be able to start on body work and reassembly and paint soon after.
    I have to get this one and two others done before I can start on the Studebaker.

Side note I am missing out on a deal for a 53 Studebaker Hawk with a 392 Hemi in it for cheap! I am kicking myself for not having enough emergency cash on hand to buy deals like this one.

11. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements