Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Southeast Gasser Association

45K views 62 replies 22 participants last post by  manicmechanic 
#1 ·
#3 ·
They have some odd rules in the group. A strange mix of old and new that actually doesn't allow some original gassers, like the stick rule, and the rocker height rule. But then they allow a slight alteration to wheelbase length, full fiberglass bodies, and fabricated box tubing frames. Crazy stuff, that seems to almost be written around the group's own cars, and not the traditional or original gassers.

#5 ·
Some of the rules are beyond funky; they're ridiculous. Like the rule on the wheels. I sure understand not using the modern Centerline style wheels, but to disallow a wheel because the holes are slightly larger? What they've effectively done is to say you can't use these wheels that cost $750 a set, but you can use the other modern copies that cost $1500 a set. There's so little difference that the spectators would never care, but it hurts the guys on a tight budget that want to race also. I think when people make rules based on what they have already built, they forget about others who may not have the finances to build along the same lines. I probably wouldn't use most modern wheels, but they should allow a little more leeway to keep it affordable for the little guy. Making rules that are so selectively narrow only hurts the racers, it doesn't make the sport more enjoyable.
Sorry for the rant.

#6 ·
Ya know I didn't even get passed the page where you agree to the waver. I've seen this in hot rod clubs ( clicks ) here in Pa. Where you may as well all have the same year car built to one set of specs to be allowed in there club or origination. I've also seen the very same groups deminsh because the crowd gets board. Now surely this is my very own opinion, but sometimes it seems that choices of rules are deliberit.

#7 ·
This has already happened with SE Gasser Assn. Steve. Their group splintered at the end of last season when about half of the group decided to spin off and start their own group with more relaxed (less specific) rules. That's the reason they have the rule in there that disallows any member from running in another group's event on the same weekend as theirs.

#8 ·
The SE Gasser Assn rules read more like, "Do as I say not as I do." They are bound to have problems. I wish them and the other group luck. I plan to retire to Greenville,SC so I hope there's gasser racing around .

Anyone know who the "splinter group" is?

#9 ·
Since Quain has such loyal followers, it's been hard to find out who broke off, and where they plan to run! I know that Greer is home track for SE Gasser Assn., and they have a very close relationship, so not sure if the new group can run Greer. I talked to a guy who knows the splinter group, but didn't want to say who all was involved now until they have all their ducks lined up and their rules put together.

#11 ·
I wish NOT to be part of this club. They are completely “living in the past.” This antique gasser club wants to keep the old membership intact and talked "in code" insider references etc. about past experiences in such a way that the newcomer gets a distinct impression that he isn't wanted. This club sounds like not very welcoming and friendly. Just my two cents worth....

#13 ·
I agree that rules are good. I also agree that rules to keep the era theme are also great! The problem becomes when you say you're making rules to maintain the integrity and correct era look, but you allow things that aren't era correct simply to accommodate those who made the rules. Or when you specifically disallow things that are era correct because those rules wont let you dominate the races.
There weren't any box or round tube chassis in the Gas class until near the end in 1969, nor fiberglass bodies. So allowing them in a group that is "era correct" seems odd. Not wanting to see modern equipment on the cars, and pointing out they want to maintain a correct look, but then allowing modern shifters like the straight line Long, or others that are so obviously not period when the spectators look into the cars. Or banning automatics, when simply banning trans brakes or lockup converters would allow period cars with automatics to run.
I personally am not a stickler for perfect period correct cars, but love groups that stick to that in their rules. Just don't like the mix of new and old where rules are "built" around the cars of those who made the rules, but exclude others that may be even more correct. It really sounds like they're more concerned about winning than retaining history. It's supposed to be fun isn't it? That's what I love about groups like Billetproof or Eagle Field. No winners, or trophies, so nobody cares who beat who, and everyone just runs and has a lot of fun!

#14 · (Edited)
Once again Vall we agree..... some of the "has to be OR not be" are hard for me to understand.

When the "fine line" is drawn sometimes seems to be "too fine". So much so some of the things done by innovative trendsetter gasser class racers/builders would NOT be allowed or considered as "period correct".

IF by chance some of the famous gassers of the "golden era of drag racing" would magically re-appear just as they were in LATE-DAY-GASSER-ERA-TRIM would they be "OUTSIDE the LINE" of what is deemed "ERA CORRECT today????

So is the "fine line" MORE like "splitting hairs" ?????

PERIOD CORRECT ??????

#16 ·
Don's Willys is a fantastic car, and meet's all his groups rules. I've looked at the rules his group runs, and like many they have made rules that attempt to maintain the integrity of the group, but occasionally omit even a original car. They have one rule about the bottom of the body being above the front spindle. I like that look, as it encourages straight axle cars, but there were thousands of original gassers that didn't have a straight axle, and would not be allowed.
Don's done a fantastic job making his Willys appear period, but it also is a complete fiberglass body, so wouldn't have been allowed back in the day. Might be a full box tube chassis if I remember correctly also. Neither of those things bother me, as long as ALL the rules are open enough to similarly allow some modern changes also. I just have a hard time accepting rules that are set up to retain a period theme, but mix and match what's acceptable. I'd almost rather see a group with two sets of rules, and two classes for them. One set like they have now, and another set that mimics one of the 60's NHRA rule books.
What I'd hate to see is the resurgence of nostalgia racing today hurt by these groups splintering and all failing. I've seen some cases where groups were very upset because they thought the rules weren't properly designed, or enforced, and refused to even race after a long haul to get there. That tells me they're more concerned with winning and prize money, than having fun. Only ones who lose when that happens is the fans who paid to see the m run, and got cheated by someone's stubbornness or ego. I've been to events with a year cutoff, and seen cars I knew were newer running. Never said a word, as I really don't care if they were, or if they beat me. The events were for fun and no trophies or payout, so whether someone was too new shouldn't affect how much fun I have. If I sat it out after a long haul, I'd be the one who was unhappy, and the paying crowd would see one less car run.

#18 ·
first off if this is hard to read i apologize i stink at sentence structure lol

i know quains group very well and i know the splinter group even better...i agree with whats been said in here

quain i believe set the rules for what he wants to do and it makes it darn near impossible for the little guy to participate

like the no coilover rule

we all know gene cromers real deal gasser the "moonlighter" is as authentic as it gets but guess what it had coilovers originally and is a automatic

quain says the automatics that are grandfathered into his rules are the ones who supported him from the begining...heres my problem...since he started his group i already had my gasser project but it wasnt a gasser yet when he started racing his group but i attended every event he had and bought all t-shirts, posters,decals to be had to show my support and when my time rolled around and my automatic gasser arrived at his events i had to park mine on the other side of the pits from their gassers because it doesnt fit the criteria cause of my automatic

i followed them to every event they had never missed a event and i made my passes between SEG passes and not once has he or anyone spoke or said thanks for coming and your support
which is disapointing for me i just wanna participate
i cant win but i wanna play lol

#19 ·
"i followed them to every event they had never missed a event and i made my passes between SEG passes and not once has he or anyone spoke or said thanks for coming and your support
which is disapointing for me i just wanna participate
i cant win but i wanna play lol"

That's pretty sad. And your situation probably isn't all that unique. The problem isn't those who they feel wont beat them; it's that they worry that someone who can beat them will come in and do so if they allow certain things for everyone. The fact they pick and choose who will be grandfathered in, and who wont just stinks of elitism. The idea was to have fun, and make it like drag racing used to be. But the way they run things it makes it no fun for many people. I think their house of cards will eventually collapse.

#22 ·
I wish he'd read this, and other comments around various forums too. Who knows, maybe he has, but wont comment? I found his questioning of a prospective driver's fiberglass Anglia build almost laughable. He runs a full fiberglass Willys, but didn't think the group should allow an Anglia in full glass? Maybe the Anglia being smaller and lighter, might give his Willys a good run, or possibly beat it? Couldn't have that, could we?
I really have no problem with full glass bodies, or tube chassis. We're many decades away from the original Gas era, and finding original chassis, frames, and steel bodies, is getting extremely hard to find, and expensive. So allowing these changes makes perfect sense. But don't pick and choose which style of body from the era is OK, and which isn't. Sure they need to set the rules to exclude modern glass body styles from after the Gas class period, but if the car was around in the era as steel, then a glass copy of those cars should be allowed. If some are allowed, and some aren't, then it smacks of building the rules around you and your friends, and not building them for the enjoyment of the spectators and competitors.
Just my opinion on the subject.

#24 ·
Ok I stumbled across this post and had to make a few comments. First off I'm am a member of the SEG, and its a great group of passionate racers. Quain is one of the nicest guys you'll every meet. He started SEG and does all of the leg work putting on the events. This is not a money making event either, there is no big prize money at stake. We do it for the fans. Our rules are put in place keep the cars authentic and interesting to watch. These cars are a handful to drive and that's what makes them exciting to watch. We've had a lot of feedback from the fans and say the only reason they drive so far to watch it's just because these are four speed cars and we drive the wheels off them. We have over 20 car in the group now, there are 19 more car being built just to run with us next year. Plus I'm building a second car, so that sould put us around 40 cars. We even had one guy drive from Texas to run at the finals. I know from the outside perspective that may seem like we're all bunch of stuck up ass holes and don't want anybody that might be faster to be in our group but nothing could further from the case. We don't want it to get water down with average run-of-the-mill bracket race cars. We do have two automatic cars that run in with us one is 82 year old Gean comer with the moonlighter. Sorry for the long post but I will be happy to answer any questions that I can.

#26 ·
Ok I stumbled across this post and had to make a few comments. First off I'm am a member of the SEG, and its a great group of passionate racers. Quain is one of the nicest guys you'll every meet. He started SEG and does all of the leg work putting on the events. This is not a money making event either, there is no big prize money at stake. We do it for the fans. Our rules are put in place keep the cars authentic and interesting to watch. These cars are a handful to drive and that's what makes them exciting to watch. We've had a lot of feedback from the fans and say the only reason they drive so far to watch it's just because these are four speed cars and we drive the wheels off them. We have over 20 car in the group now, there are 19 more car being built just to run with us next year. Plus I'm building a second car, so that sould put us around 40 cars. We even had one guy drive from Texas to run at the finals. I know from the outside perspective that may seem like we're all bunch of stuck up ass holes and don't want anybody that might be faster to be in our group but nothing could further from the case. We don't want it to get water down with average run
Thanks for your input. I don't think anyone was questioning if Quain was a nice guy or not. My questions are related to why some of the rules seem to not be relative to keeping things traditional, while others do? The lack of continuity in using all traditional rules, vs. selecting certain rules, and allowing modern changes of other things is what puzzles me? We all love shifting gears, and cars that do, but automatics are very traditional, as long as they don't use computers or trans brakes. I also love custom built frames on cars, but they certainly are not traditional for gassers, and would be much less traditional in a period correct rule setup. I'm still puzzled by the picking and choosing of rules to create a mix of traditional rules, and non gasser rules. I also understand using things like particular wheels to retain the look, but don't understand the nitpicking that seems to rule out one company's wheels for a slight opening size difference, yet OK another much spendier wheel that looks very similar? Or allowing one fiberglass body style, yet not allowing another? If a Willys is OK, then why not a '55 Chevy? A lot of the rules have me scratching my head.

#27 ·
I think your spending to much time focused on the rules. I don't think any of our car are perfect, we all get a pass on somethings. But its really simple, as long as your not running autos, power adders, coilovers, or late model wheels your good. All cars have to be cleared to run with the group prior to the day of the race. A simple phone call to Quain would clear up any questions for anyone wishing to participate. We want new people to run, but the cars have to be close to the style of the group. I think the two biggest problems people have with the rules is autos and the use of coilovers. More people get turn away with autos than any other rule. Trust me if the only problem with your car was the size of the hole in your wheels you would still be allowed to run. As far as the glass body's go, a new rule for next year is going to be the addition of a weight brake for certain classes. I think we have a good thing going and its getting bigger every race. Im just thankful that we have such a great events to go to.

#28 ·
I'm focusing on the rules because they would affect my cars, and many other people's cars. If the rules are enforced, then we need to focus on them. I'm afraid my old Austin gasser wont be allowed in the rules, as it runs ladder bars with coilovers. Pretty sure my Falcon gasser wont meet the rules either, as the front Torq Thrust wheels are modern, and I've got an Autometer tach. Maybe the 3 hole bug catcher scoop might not pass tech too? Not sure what else might conflict, as it's been awhile since I read your rules.
I personally don't feel anyone would be offended by the looks of my cars, as they're built in the spirit of the gasser era. I haven't run into anyone yet who didn't feel they were old school, but I haven't taken them down in the southeast either. I doubt they'd be serious competition anyway; they're too slow.

#31 ·
My apologies, I was just joking anyway. My car won't run with the top 8, but it's one for the fastest street gassers around. I'm all steel, full interior, street legal, tagged and insured. It will run 6.50s in the 1/8. I know your on the other side of the country, but do you go to the melt down drags?

#32 ·
No, I hit Billetproof at Toutle, Wa., and Eagle Field. But don't get off the West Coast. Your car is a full second faster than my fastest car. Both my Austin and my Falcon are full steel bodies, full interiors, fully street legal. Both run modified, reinforced factory frames.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.