Gasser HotRod Forums banner

electric water pump

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Road Angels 
#1 ·
hey guys... whats the verdict on running electric water pumps on street? I realize ill need an electric fan. This thing also has pete jackson gear drive. A little much for the street? thanks in advance

#2 ·
My opinion is if you run electric water pump you better spend for a high gpm unit. I converted my MG to mechanical pump and added a mechanical flex fan with twin electric fans to keep safe temps in traffic. It all depends on the quality of your radiator, quality of water pump and electric fans. It also depends on the heat and street conditions that stress your cooling system. Shrouds are important too. Me , I will stay mechanical cause it’s cheaper and reliable.
Just my opinion.

#3 ·
I don't think any of the electric water pumps were designed to be run as much as they would be in a street situation. I wouldn't use one for the street unless there was no other option that worked. But I feel the same about electric fuel pumps. If I have to run one I do. But if it can be avoided I sure will go mechanical. If my Austin wasn't so cramped between the frame rails it would have a mechanical fuel pump.

As for the Pete Jackson gear drive. I love them! Pete Jackson gear drives are top of the heap in quality, and I like the whine myself.

#4 · (Edited)
My 2 cents

on the electric water pump. When I first built the 428 for my 53 I used an electric water pump. I'm not sure that they're made for the strain of everyday driving and traffic. A bigger problem (for me at least) was electrolysis. About 6 months after I built the motor I noticed a small oil leak from the bottom rear corner of one of the M/T aluminum valve covers. I thought a loose bolt but that turned out to be incorrect. When I pulled the cover off that corner had been eaten away by electrolysis. I pulled the other cover and the same thing, that side just hadn't started to leak yet. There are products on the market, additives and caps with a sacrificial anode) to help control the problem. I took the electric pump off and went with a high flow aluminum one but also went with one of the radiator caps with the sacrificial anode for a bit of preventitive maintenance. I repaired the valve covers with JB weld and haven't experienced any more leaks from the corners.
There is another option though if you don't want to run the selfcontained electric water pump. A kit that utilizes your water pump but has an electric motor that mounts on the block and a small diameter cogged pulley that fits the motor and a larger diameter cogged pulley for the water pump. Also with this set up the electrolysis issue is pretty much eliminated.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mr-Gasket-...037272?hash=item3b311cbc58:g:6PQAAOSwuXxc1b9q

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.