Gasser HotRod Forums banner

hey all, new from s.c. just picked up a 64 rambler cross country wagon.

3K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  rlbutcher 
#1 ·
steve here. thinkin about doing it gasser style for the street. the body is really straight but someone a couple owners back chopped up the suspension front and rear. after pricing what it would take to repair the suspension ive decided it would be easier to gasser. ive got a new 327 with pg. 3 deuce intake and a ford 8 inch with a locker. just need some direction on choosing the front suspension . am looking at the speedway motors front ends.

anyhow. thanks for having me. and on to the search button I go.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!

I'd look at either a Ford Econoline I beam front axle, or Chevy Greenbriar van. Both from the mid 60's. Or a '55-'59 Chevy pickup front axle. All are easy to convert to disc if you want, and much cheaper than the Speedway axle kit. All the correct width for your '64 wagon too.

#6 · (Edited)
Steve there are some brake kits that speedway makes that you can use the stock f1...f2 spindles with but they are large braked kits that will limit the wheels do to caliper interference...to get around this and use the small gm calipers you have to go with early ford spindles and adapters for the bearings...the specs for the axle you have offered to you can be found on Nostalgia Sids website...I would grab the axle just because the ford ones are getting harder to find compared to the gm ones,,,does not cost any thing to play with it!!!....he lists all the axle specs https://droppedaxles.com/axles

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.