dsb's chevy gasser build - Page 27
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 27 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1725262728 LastLast

Thread: dsb's chevy gasser build

well, I hit the proverbial wall. I got the trunk floor installed and I managed to make it look pretty damn good. I was lucky that the two cross member end where they attached were still pretty solid, so I used them as anchors for my homemade braces. Took 1/4 inch think bar and welded an L bracket to the underside to stop it from flexing. Worked perfectly. I will post pics of the finished trunk later, but here are the braces.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trunk.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	80.9 KB 
ID:	103709

Name:	trunk3.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	103711

Name:	trunk3.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	76.8 KB 
ID:	103711

Then I went to try and fit the new back end on and I just do not have the amount of hands I need to pull it off. Got frustrated and put everything away and sulked the rest of the day. I decided I am going to take a break from the rear and work on the interior and wiring. Maybe some inspiration will hit me. Le Sigh.
    Dave

I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am!

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

A few things I've learned by working alone for decades Dave. Lots of large vise grip clamps! And in the case of fitting large panels, I screw tabs to the inside of the area I'm butting to so the donor panel has something to rest on as I adjust it, and clamp or tack it. These tabs are just small pieces of sheet metal attached behind the panels with a self tapping screw through the metal. Then when I locate the donor panel I shoot another screw through to retain it.
    Once it's screwed in multiple places you can check fitment, and adjust as needed. Then tack it in a bunch of places, remove the screws, and tack those holes shut too. It's a little more work, but the tabs save a lot of frustration, and work like another hand to help hold large material.
    I must have a dozen of these clamps. I buy them every time I see any used at swap meets, and make sure they're the real Vise Grip brand.

Vall

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    A few things I've learned by working alone for decades Dave. Lots of large vise grip clamps! And in the case of fitting large panels, I screw tabs to the inside of the area I'm butting to so the donor panel has something to rest on as I adjust it, and clamp or tack it. These tabs are just small pieces of sheet metal attached behind the panels with a self tapping screw through the metal. Then when I locate the donor panel I shoot another screw through to retain it.
    Once it's screwed in multiple places you can check fitment, and adjust as needed. Then tack it in a bunch of places, remove the screws, and tack those holes shut too. It's a little more work, but the tabs save a lot of frustration, and work like another hand to help hold large material.
    I must have a dozen of these clamps. I buy them every time I see any used at swap meets, and make sure they're the real Vise Grip brand.

Thanks Vall! I will give it a shot....
    Dave

Well I decided to give that sheet metal a break and got stuff done! Wiring is mostly sorted out, got the steering column in and made my seat brackets and installed. I have some bracing to do but they are in and I contacted the seat manufacturer and they can make seat covers and I can even send in my own upholstery. Wow. I also got the master cylinder plate made instead of using the flimsy cover that came stock. I also have most of the frame covered in Eastwood rust encapsulater. What a weekend!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200906_133901_1599574979685.jpg   IMG_20200906_150522_072_1599575039982.jpg   20200906_184306_1599575061609.jpg  
    Dave

Sounds like a productive weekend!
    Vall

some times when in shit becomes long term you have to move to another part of the project...just so you feel you are making head way....been there done that and still doing that...just dont take the fun out of it by stressing on any one part... look'in good
    Lash...Washington Chapter and Member...Mean Old Bastards Club

Yeah, jumping around keeps me from getting bored, or stressing on a difficult part of the build work. But I try to make sure I get the important stuff done first so I don't get surprised later by something that might make me change directions, and have to undo anything I switched to.
    Vall

Well, another great weekend! I spent all last week in Miami for work, and looked for parts while there, but they must have all rusted away. I got the clear coat on most all of the car except the back end where I will be working. Turned out pretty cool. I added mint green pearl to the clear and shot it on over the patina. This is to just get me by until I can spring the big bucks and get a real paint and bodywork job done on it.

Name:	clear 5.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	103821

Name:	clear 6.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	132.4 KB 
ID:	103823

Name:	clear 4.jpg 
Size:	96.5 KB 
ID:	103825

Name:	clear 3.jpg 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	103827
    Dave

Hope you don't get too far ahead of yourself with finish work!
    Vall

Naw, this is a temporary thing just to stop the surface rust. I am mostly not touching the outside of the car at all except the back end. everything that needs to be done is inside and underneath!
    Dave

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements