'39 Chevy Coupe project. - Page 3
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 3 of 53 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: '39 Chevy Coupe project.

A few years ago, the store I delivered for had a '03 Ranger and a '03 S-10 and I can tell you the S-10 drove much better. They're too narrow for some cars but a '78 to '88 GM G body is about the same only wider track. Just something else to think about.
    Gary

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

The '39 is 70" outside the front fenders. So depending on front wheel width, tires, etc., I think the S10 will work fine, if I go that route. Thanks for the info Gary.
    Vall

Vall

You are "da man" and I applaud you for what you're doing. I believe that we are only a few months apart in age but there is no way I could talk myself into taking on another build of the scope you are. Buying a roller (like I did with the Willys) is one thing but a bare bones body and chassis, oh man........
    Steve Hidden Content in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by sbauman2 View Post
    You are "da man" and I applaud you for what you're doing. I believe that we are only a few months apart in age but there is no way I could talk myself into taking on another build of the scope you are. Buying a roller (like I did with the Willys) is one thing but a bare bones body and chassis, oh man........
    Well taking it on, and completing it are two different things Steve! I hope my excitement is not a passing thing as I get deeper into this build, and maybe find even larger issues! But it looks like an extremely nice, solid frame, so hope it doesn't need much beyond the bodywork.
    It would be easier to build it as a gasser. I think they're one of the easiest builds a guy can do myself. But right now I'd prefer a cruiser. Guess I could end up going gasser, and still have an AOD trans, and not go quite so high. And a strong SBC without being a beast of an engine.
    Vall

like you can resist the primal urges....https://www.leftcoastclassics.com/SO...vrolet-gasser/
    Lash

Are those dirt track or offroad tires on the back of that gasser? Must be for driving around the field they photographed it in?
    Vall

Thats funny you caught that... but you missed the no head lamps and no door lock and handle...but you know the tires kind of fit even being mud and snows...my thinking is he could only get the tall side walls in that style...these are the same ones that where on my truck at one time...and let it begin...https://portland.craigslist.org/clc/...866038315.html
    Last edited by Road Angels; 04-22-2019 at 02:23 PM.
    Lash

I've seen that bare axle, and that's a pretty spendy way to start a gasser! By the time you get a kingpin kit, spindles, steering arms, tie rod, 5 bolt hubs, backing plates, and drums. Or convert to disc brakes and still need most of that. You might as well buy a brand new Speedway axle.
    I did have an offer today of a complete 1959 Chevy I beam axle, which is my favorite of all the donor axles. Guy wants $100 complete, but not sure if I can get the lower stance with parallel leafs? I might still consider it at the price as I sure couldn't lose if I didn't use it. Could clean it up and stick it on CL and maybe even make a few bucks.

I ordered all the front and rear floor sheet metal today. A ten piece set for all of the floor, so should be easier to work with, but more welds. It was cheaper than buying it locally from Chevs of the 40's. I'll get the rockers locally, as their price was better on those.
    I also went over to the steel yard and picked up my 48"x 96" sheet of 18ga. steel, plus the cuts they did for me. For now just piling all these pieces in the garage until I'm ready to begin.
    Vall

Now this doesn't mean I've changed direction! But looking around CL yesterday and found a guy parting out a 1959 Chevy truck. So out of curiosity I called and asked if the straight axle was available. He told me it was, but was pretty tired looking. But he had another pretty decent one he'd pulled from his Cameo pickup, and would sell it for $100 complete!
    So going over this coming weekend to get a good look at it, and will buy it. Whether it works or not, it's tough to pass up a '55-'59 Chevy truck axle at the price. If I can get it low enough with fairly flat springs, I'll do a disc brake conversion to it, and use it.
    Vall

Might be getting the cart ahead of the horse, but couldn't resist these. A friend is a very advanced license plate collector, and dealer. I mentioned to him I wanted him to keep an eye out for a pair of 1939 Oregon plates. Last night we had our monthly meeting for another collector group we both belong to, and he asked me to stop by his house afterwards. He goes over to his storage area in his garage, and pulls out a milk crate. Then pulls 7 sets of 1939 Oregon plates out of the crate and asks me which pair I want? The pair I liked best was in the least perfect condition, but still extremely nice! I chose them because of a very unique number I just liked. It was 59- all zeros after that! Easy to recall your license number if ever asked.
    I got out my wallet, but he refused to let me pay for them. Said I'd helped him too often without him paying, so these were "his treat". Now I can go down to DMV and get the title changed, and have these plates assigned to my '39 for a one time, lifetime single fee. Wont be going on the car for a long time, but I didn't want to do two trips to DMV to accomplish everything. And since it has an Oregon title they don't need to see the car to transfer it to my name. Easy peasy!
    Vall

13. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements