Gasser HotRod Forums banner

'39 Chevy Coupe project.

184K views 2K replies 24 participants last post by  1937Austin 
#1 ·
Nothing really to report, but figured I'd start this here vs. keep posting on the swap meet thread. So here's the same images from the swap meet.

The seller delivered it late yesterday afternoon during another downpour of rain. So even assessing the car just wasn't any fun after getting soaked unloading it. And unloading proved to be a chore too!
First the seller trailer had a 3/4" plywood deck that was rotted, so one rear tire sunk into the deck creating a hole! Then as we rolled it off the front tire turned with no steering box. As I went up to turn it the other tire was pointed a different direction! That's when I looked underneath and noticed the tierods weren't connected! Independent front wheels didn't make steering it off the trailer very easy!
Finally got it off, and then with a guy on each front wheel we tried to push it into position and keep the wheels parallel. Wasn't easy, but got it done. Then I simply covered it up, and went inside to dry out.
But some really good news too! I never looked at the title, or asked what state it was from. But turned out to be a current Oregon clear title, and a matching vin tag he had inside the same envelope! So it wont even need a vehicle inspection like an out of state car would need! One less hassle, and expense for me!
Hopefully we'll get a break in the rain someday, and I can get all the parts out of the car, and get a closer look at what I'm up against with the rust repairs.

See less See more
#1,202 ·
sounds like you had a blast Vall. good to hear. the car does look so cool. great look great build. Glad your lifters and rockers held together. Now you can exhale. LOL

#1,203 ·
I'm sure I'm not the only one who gets anxious on trips with their cars. But I sure was for maybe half of the way up to my destination! Then with each mile I got more relaxed, and began enjoying the drive. It was fun to visit with people at stops along the way, and have non car people look surprised when they asked how far I'd come, or was going! Most said something about being "daring" to take an "old car" that far from home.
I'm going to pop the valve covers off in a week or two, once weather gets ugly, and double check the adjustments just to make sure they're all good still.

#1,207 ·
I tried not to dwell on how remote I was at times, and avoided checking my cell phone to see if I had a signal. I knew there were spots in the Yakima Reservation, and Colville Reservation that I'd have no cell signal, so didn't want to think about it.
Something about cruising out in the middle of nowhere in an old car though. And not seeing hardly anyone else where you're at is even stranger! Some places had no shoulder, and I wondered how far I'd have to coast to even pull over!
Fortunately I didn't have to find out what might have been, since it all went so well. Like seeing that spare, and my tools in the trunk, and not needing either.

#1,208 ·
Finally a response from Speedmaster on the missing adapter for my new air cleaner. I had little luck getting satisfaction through direct emails, so sent a message with my complaint through Ebay. They immediately sent a response.

Seller's message:
"Hello, We are sorry to hear about the missing item, we placed an order SO-00608124 and will be shipping out the missing item. "

#1,209 ·
Went to an air filter supply company this morning to look at filter media. The guy had some "pre filter" material that's pretty dense, and black color. The perfect material to put between the down draft stacks, and the filter! A huge sheet I could make 5 or 6 pieces from was $5, so I bought some.
This will seal off the open holes, but also allow some filtered air to pass through too. Just need to make a small hole for the 1/4" rod in the center.

I'll get some rubber balls, or tennis balls to push in each tube for when I wash the car and want to keep water out. Or I can simply put a bag over the whole set, like I do with my Austin when washing it.

#1,210 ·
Excellent ! Brand mew member here but long time hot rodder who is currently rebuilding a 60s vintage 36 Chevy coupe that was a real gasser back in the day. I am extremely pleased to see that you kept the straight axle in the front. Please take no offense but when I started reading this build thread and saw you mention Camaro subframes & such I had to wonder if I accidently stumblled into a rat rod forum. As the General of the Tennessee chapter of the Pharoahs Car Club I can surely appreciate ALL styles of hotrods & muscle cars and there's nothing wrong with wanting a better ride with modern parts for a street driven car. Hell, my Captain in the club drives a fiberglass 41 Willys on an S10 chassis and it's a very cool car. Just not a "Gasser". Well done.

#1,211 ·
Well my car having independent control arm suspension with knee action shocks was part of my reason to go to a modern control arm suspension at first. But I couldn't see a way to keep the slightly higher ride height I wanted, and not end up seeing all that suspension looking ugly. So the choice to switch to a later I beam axle just made it all simpler for me. And of course I am a big fan of gassers, and wanted this to look more like my old '40 Chev coupe I had in the late 60's.

Thanks.

#1,212 ·
Playing around with the car today, to see if I could squeeze the Hilborn stacks enough to fit on the top of my existing air cleaner. I made a new top out of 1/4" aluminum plate I had, so I wouldn't mess with my finned aluminum top. Once I got it shaped I put a center hole in it for the carb screw, and staged the 8 stacks around the plate. Looks like only 4 of them line up inside the air cleaner filter and could draw cool air. So the rest would have to be mounted over blanks and not draw air into the carb.

Not sure I like the look of the plate being larger than the air filter base? Thought about making a "skirt" of aluminum sheet metal that would extend down to hide the element, and make it cleaner. Have to think this over, and maybe cut some paper templates to tape them on before I go any further.
At least with this I can go back to the finned top any time I get tired of this setup.

#1,214 ·
Well if it’s that impressionable go for it. I spent many a day picking a color for the coupe. It got so bad my wife would head the other direction. I would ask her what she thought on every shade of red candy I could find. Lol

#1,215 ·
I considered red, but didn't want two red gassers, even if they were different reds, or shades of red.
I think the competition orange has more of a no nonsense race car, or gasser theme to it. I still haven't decided if it will go to the next step of lettering, and making it look like a gasser from the period. But if I did go that far the orange would be a better basis than some fancier colors. And in talking with the guys at our local paint supplier, they gave me info that some paints are tougher to get even coverage, and a nice result. The gold I was considering was a tougher one to do well from what they told me. So I'd prefer not to end up using a color that will make it tougher on the painter to get a good result. So that's also playing into my narrowing of color choices.

#1,216 · (Edited)
That’s good reasoning. Makes the choices easier and more confident.
I still wonder about small blue flake in another clear top coat on the MG. I almost wanna try it.

#1,217 · (Edited)
Shop till you drop..............lol https://www.houseofkolor.com/homepage/ or this one with some gold pearl thrown in https://tcpglobal.com/products/rsp-...vGqJbO7AIVFCCtBh0brgYxEAQYDiABEgKGjfD_BwE...I always hated the competition orange and yellow colors when they first came out...but thru the years they have grown on me...go figure...there is also a orange pearl that you could throw in, or you can ad a flat paint agent...any thing but a hot rod black is going to mean a lot of body work prep..the nice thing is you have the winter to shop, think and prep things...to me it is the fun part...also if you need to ship to another state to get what you want let me know...i have not compared our two states VOC limits ...but if there is a problem let me know and you can ship to me and I can ship it to you...primer with clear coat?? https://www.leftcoastclassics.com/SOLD/1939-chevrolet-gasser/ and a orange gasser https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1415575/1937-chevrolet-coupe-for-sale-in-payson-arizona-85541

#1,218 ·
Once again I started to box up and bring my paint and body filler inside the basement for winter. Once again I got sidetracked on the '39 instead. But I did at least get paint in a box!
It started out pretty cold, but once the sun got up a bit it got very nice out and mid 50's too!! So I decided to pull the hood off the '39 and cut some fiberglass off the sides. I originally cut the sides open, but left the faux trim line that's matching the doors trim line. But the hood was such a fitment issue when I first reworked it that the lines didn't match up. That bugged me, but not much could be done, except not have the trim line. So I marked it out just above the trim line, and used my parting disc to remove it the full length of the hood!
Once I got it cut off I used a flapper disc to smooth the cut edge, and I will seal it with resin later. But cutting that trim off revealed I'd gotten a bit heavy handed when reworking the hood, and that area was only bout 1/8" thick on the driver's side! So I laid the hood upside down outside the shop and ground off all the paint in this area. Then I cut up 6 pieces of woven fiberglass cloth, and fit them to the area. Mixed up a couple oz. of resin, and began brushing and laying down the 6 layers. Left it in the sun to harden, and later I'll trim back the edge to match, and put a little Duraglass over the front side to finish off the repair.
Maybe I'll get that paint put away tomorrow? Or maybe I'll finish up the hood instead? I did get antifreeze checked in all my vehicles today, and added some to the '39 to bring it up just a little better. And got trickle chargers on the coupe and the Austin.

#1,219 ·
Got the fiberglass shaped down and excess cut off the edge. Laid in some Duraglass to fill the small low areas on top side. And roughed it in, so It's ready for a thin coat of regular filler.
Then moved to the trunk lid to see if I can bend it like my buddy told me. Cut a couple 2"x4"s to 20" long, and pulled the lid closed with them standing on end where I want the lid to have more curve. Rested the inner bracing on the other end, and used a ratchet strap to pull the lid down around the trunk handle.
I'll check it each day to see it's moved, and ratchet more tension on it if it hasn't.

#1,221 ·
Competition Orange and Yellow have always been 2 of my favorite colors. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these colors, especially on a gasser.
I'm still undecided as to whether the '39 will get lettered up, and done in some period gasser style lettering once it's painted. But if I do go that route I think the orange will be even better. If I don't it's still a period color that will match the build better.

#1,222 ·
I would be in for a pastel, pearl, or creamy color no matter which color you choose. I am no expert on the matter but I don't think metal flake or 2 step clear coat would help the cause. I believe your mantra is what ever makes you happy. In my past projects I would look to a "hero" of the day and see what they did, such as Smokey Yunik (even though he was circle track but just an example of where I am going with this).

#1,224 ·
I would be in for a pastel, pearl, or creamy color no matter which color you choose. I am no expert on the matter but I don't think metal flake or 2 step clear coat would help the cause. I believe your mantra is what ever makes you happy. In my past projects I would look to a "hero" of the day and see what they did, such as Smokey Yunick (even though he was circle track but just an example of where I am going with this).
That's pretty much what I did when I chose the dark red mettalic on my Austin gasser. I always liked the metallic red Big John Mazmanian used on his gassers, along with the gold lettering. So that made me choose something similar.
Only pastel color I ever was OK with was Ohio George's pastel blue Willys gasser. Loved the car, and his winning ways, but wont ever use that color on any car I own. And definitely not a pearl, as pearls are way too new for traditional cars. I might consider tossing in some metallic, not metal flake, in the orange, just to spice it up a bit. Never been a metal flake guy myself, even though it seems to really be popular on clones I see guys building.