'39 Chevy Coupe project. - Page 122
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 122 of 124 FirstFirst ... 2272112120121122123124 LastLast
Results 1,211 to 1,220 of 1240

Thread: '39 Chevy Coupe project.

Well my car having independent control arm suspension with knee action shocks was part of my reason to go to a modern control arm suspension at first. But I couldn't see a way to keep the slightly higher ride height I wanted, and not end up seeing all that suspension looking ugly. So the choice to switch to a later I beam axle just made it all simpler for me. And of course I am a big fan of gassers, and wanted this to look more like my old '40 Chev coupe I had in the late 60's.

Thanks.
    Vall

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Playing around with the car today, to see if I could squeeze the Hilborn stacks enough to fit on the top of my existing air cleaner. I made a new top out of 1/4" aluminum plate I had, so I wouldn't mess with my finned aluminum top. Once I got it shaped I put a center hole in it for the carb screw, and staged the 8 stacks around the plate. Looks like only 4 of them line up inside the air cleaner filter and could draw cool air. So the rest would have to be mounted over blanks and not draw air into the carb.

Not sure I like the look of the plate being larger than the air filter base? Thought about making a "skirt" of aluminum sheet metal that would extend down to hide the element, and make it cleaner. Have to think this over, and maybe cut some paper templates to tape them on before I go any further.
    At least with this I can go back to the finned top any time I get tired of this setup.
    Vall

Crap! I think I changed my mind on paint color again! Ran across this '39 Chev coupe for sale and bam! I think I like this color better than anything I've contemplated previously!
    Competition orange!

http://topclassiccarsforsale.com/che...rust-ever.html
    Vall

Well if it’s that impressionable go for it. I spent many a day picking a color for the coupe. It got so bad my wife would head the other direction. I would ask her what she thought on every shade of red candy I could find. Lol
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

I considered red, but didn't want two red gassers, even if they were different reds, or shades of red.
    I think the competition orange has more of a no nonsense race car, or gasser theme to it. I still haven't decided if it will go to the next step of lettering, and making it look like a gasser from the period. But if I did go that far the orange would be a better basis than some fancier colors. And in talking with the guys at our local paint supplier, they gave me info that some paints are tougher to get even coverage, and a nice result. The gold I was considering was a tougher one to do well from what they told me. So I'd prefer not to end up using a color that will make it tougher on the painter to get a good result. So that's also playing into my narrowing of color choices.
    Vall

That’s good reasoning. Makes the choices easier and more confident.
    I still wonder about small blue flake in another clear top coat on the MG. I almost wanna try it.
    Last edited by mmhotrod; 10-24-2020 at 12:10 PM.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Shop till you drop..............lol https://www.houseofkolor.com/homepage/ or this one with some gold pearl thrown in https://tcpglobal.com/products/rsp-a...gKGjfD_BwE...I always hated the competition orange and yellow colors when they first came out...but thru the years they have grown on me...go figure...there is also a orange pearl that you could throw in, or you can ad a flat paint agent...any thing but a hot rod black is going to mean a lot of body work prep..the nice thing is you have the winter to shop, think and prep things...to me it is the fun part...also if you need to ship to another state to get what you want let me know...i have not compared our two states VOC limits ...but if there is a problem let me know and you can ship to me and I can ship it to you...primer with clear coat?? https://www.leftcoastclassics.com/SO...vrolet-gasser/ and a orange gasser https://classiccars.com/listings/vie...-arizona-85541
    Last edited by Road Angels; 10-24-2020 at 06:55 PM.
    Lash...Washington Chapter and Member...Mean Old Bastards Club

Once again I started to box up and bring my paint and body filler inside the basement for winter. Once again I got sidetracked on the '39 instead. But I did at least get paint in a box!
    It started out pretty cold, but once the sun got up a bit it got very nice out and mid 50's too!! So I decided to pull the hood off the '39 and cut some fiberglass off the sides. I originally cut the sides open, but left the faux trim line that's matching the doors trim line. But the hood was such a fitment issue when I first reworked it that the lines didn't match up. That bugged me, but not much could be done, except not have the trim line. So I marked it out just above the trim line, and used my parting disc to remove it the full length of the hood!
    Once I got it cut off I used a flapper disc to smooth the cut edge, and I will seal it with resin later. But cutting that trim off revealed I'd gotten a bit heavy handed when reworking the hood, and that area was only bout 1/8" thick on the driver's side! So I laid the hood upside down outside the shop and ground off all the paint in this area. Then I cut up 6 pieces of woven fiberglass cloth, and fit them to the area. Mixed up a couple oz. of resin, and began brushing and laying down the 6 layers. Left it in the sun to harden, and later I'll trim back the edge to match, and put a little Duraglass over the front side to finish off the repair.
    Maybe I'll get that paint put away tomorrow? Or maybe I'll finish up the hood instead? I did get antifreeze checked in all my vehicles today, and added some to the '39 to bring it up just a little better. And got trickle chargers on the coupe and the Austin.
    Vall

Got the fiberglass shaped down and excess cut off the edge. Laid in some Duraglass to fill the small low areas on top side. And roughed it in, so It's ready for a thin coat of regular filler.
    Then moved to the trunk lid to see if I can bend it like my buddy told me. Cut a couple 2"x4"s to 20" long, and pulled the lid closed with them standing on end where I want the lid to have more curve. Rested the inner bracing on the other end, and used a ratchet strap to pull the lid down around the trunk handle.
    I'll check it each day to see it's moved, and ratchet more tension on it if it hasn't.
    Vall

Unlike Lash

Competition Orange and Yellow have always been 2 of my favorite colors. I don't think you can go wrong with either of these colors, especially on a gasser.
    Steve Hidden Content MOB in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements