'39 Chevy Coupe project. - Page 94
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 94 of 101 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast

Thread: '39 Chevy Coupe project.

Keep in mind that adhesive needs to be on both surfaces and need to tack dry then push together and it should stay put.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    Keep in mind that adhesive needs to be on both surfaces and need to tack dry then push together and it should stay put.
    Guess I misunderstood. I thought you meant using the black 3m weatherstrip adhesive to cover the cut edge where the headliner stops? I'm not having trouble with those edges staying glued, just don't see a way to finish them off.
    Vall

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    Guess I misunderstood. I thought you meant using the black 3m weatherstrip adhesive to cover the cut edge where the headliner stops? I'm not having trouble with those edges staying glued, just don't see a way to finish them off.
    nah it’s me not you Vall. I didn’t know your exact situation. My coupe had a headliner with wind lace
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    nah it’s me not you Vall. I didn’t know your exact situation. My coupe had a headliner with wind lace
    So does the '39 coupe or sedan, but I chose not to use wind lace. Not sure if that was good or bad yet? I plan to come up with some sort of weatherstripping around the door to seal out wind and weather, but haven't gotten to that yet.
    Vall

Finally got the speaker system done, and the divider panel covered and installed. So interior is completed now, other than a good cleaning as usual.

Vall

Ha! Nothing to this glass installation! Got bored this afternoon and knowing I had this nifty glass suction cup tool, I thought I'd give the rear glass a try. I put the weatherstripping on the glass, but it kept falling away on the bottom. So duct taped it to the glass at bottom center to hold it. Then used 12 awg insulated electrical wire in the rubber channel as a pull cord, and sprayed soap all over the weatherstrip.
    Using this suction cup tool to hold it in place, I began pulling the wire and the rubber lip pulled right over the opening! When it got to the end the window popped into place perfectly! I was surprised how quick and easy it was. Maybe a few minutes total to install it. Piece of cake. Gonna try the windshield halves next, and maybe get this all done sooner, and save $300. They wanted $125 just for the back window.

Vall

Hey Vall, can you take more pictures of the process if you can? I scored some different windshield glass and am interested in maybe trying it myself
    Dave

I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am!

Quote Originally Posted by dsb View Post
    Hey Vall, can you take more pictures of the process if you can? I scored some different windshield glass and am interested in maybe trying it myself
    Really a little tough to take pictures during the process Dave when it takes both hands, and can't really stop during the process or the glass can slip out and crash if I let go before it's done. I can describe it, but that's about all I can do.
    I put the rubber all around the glass, and taped it to the glass at bottom center so it wouldn't droop away from the glass and fight me. I made sure the duct tape was only on the side of the rubber and glass so it wouldn't be trapped under the rubber once it pulled in place.
    Then I attached the suction cup tool dead center on the glass so I could hold the glass. Starting bottom center I fit the 14 awg wire into the lip of the weatherstrip, making sure it was pushed down into the lip. Worked it all around the rubber until I got back to the start point, and left a foot of wire hanging out on both ends. Mixed up some car wash soap diluted 50-50 with water in a spray bottle. Sat the bottle on the roof to keep it handy, and grabbed the suction tool and sat the glass through the window opening. I guided it over the bottom lip of the opening with the two wire ends laying outside. I could only barely get the rubber lip started over the steel lip, but I began to pull each wire a few inches, and working back and forth the rubber began to overlap the steel lip. Just kept pulling back on the glass as I worked each end of the pull wires alternately, and kept spraying a lot of soapy water on the seal, and metal as I went. When it was almost all but maybe a few inches pulled over, those last few inches took more force to pull, so went just an inch on each side and more soapy water to finish it. But it suddenly popped the last of the rubber lip over, and the whole window and rubber moved outward a good 1/4"-3/8" when it did.
    After that it's just installing the inside trim to ensure the rubber is held in place permanently. It will also get some sealer under the lip soon to ensure it doesn't let water leak in around the rubber. Trying to find the right sealer that has a small tip I can work under the rubber as I go all around the window.
    Since my car has fresh primer on it I used my 3M masking sheet material to protect the area below the window. It's a pre taped roll of blue visqueen that's 18" wide. So I just taped it below the opening, and spread it side to side to catch excess soapy water that might run down during the install. It worked great, and nothing got on the fresh primer.
    Vall

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    Ha! Nothing to this glass installation! Got bored this afternoon and knowing I had this nifty glass suction cup tool, I thought I'd give the rear glass a try. I put the weatherstripping on the glass, but it kept falling away on the bottom. So duct taped it to the glass at bottom center to hold it. Then used 12 awg insulated electrical wire in the rubber channel as a pull cord, and sprayed soap all over the weatherstrip.
    Using this suction cup tool to hold it in place, I began pulling the wire and the rubber lip pulled right over the opening! When it got to the end the window popped into place perfectly! I was surprised how quick and easy it was. Maybe a few minutes total to install it. Piece of cake. Gonna try the windshield halves next, and maybe get this all done sooner, and save $300. They wanted $125 just for the back window.

awesome Vall. Nothing to it. I did my glass on the 35 back in 2009-10. It’s been so long I don’t even remember doing it. Ha. Glad you figured it out. It’s like a square body pu truck back glass.
    Mario

By the way I found this interior pic on my 35 from a factory interior finish car for sale pic. Interesting how they finished the top roof area below the headliner.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A091B811-4F03-45F6-9CBA-61011848FA44.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	51.7 KB 
ID:	103109
    Mario

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements