'39 Chevy Coupe project. - Page 93
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 93 of 101 FirstFirst ... 43839192939495 ... LastLast

Thread: '39 Chevy Coupe project.

70 degrees here today, and perfect weather for a drive, and car projects! So took the Austin on a 35 mile drive, and then when I got home I went to work on the '39 Chevy.
    I cleared out the interior and sprayed black paint on all the jams and pillars, so when my headliner arrives I'm ready to install it. Then wiped down the floors, and began fitting the black carpet. It was close when I measured it, and by the time I finished all I had left was a handful of little pieces!

Next I'm going to start covering the panels I built for the divider and side panels.

Have two more 6"x 9" tri axial speakers on order for the divider panel. so will need to cut holes for those also once they arrive, and before I cover the back panel.
    Vall

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Sanded and fought all my bows into the loops on the new headliner. Man those are a battle to get the curved ends fed through the loops, and even worse after the first one! Got it marked up for center, and hung it from all 5 bows. The first two are just wire bows, but the last three are stamped out and screw in place at each end.

[img]

Plenty of extra material, so sure no issues worrying about whether it might be close in places! Once I got it hung I began pulling it forward, and then used 3M spray adhesive to attach it around the windshield opening, and clipped it with small clips to hold it while I worked it back to the rear window. Then glued and clipped it back there also. Worked it side to side with more glue and clips until it was smooth. The 3M glue is nice because you can pull it back off if you do so immediately, so working ripples out is easier.
    Still need to steam it, but it's pretty smooth, and just some folds from shipping that need to relax a bit.

Got the interior cut to shape, and covered the kick panels in smooth black vinyl. The rest will get the diamond pattern. Reinstalled my shifter and boot, and the bucket seats too.

Vall

Timing.
    Seems like it rarely works out as I'd hope. I finally found a shop that told me he'd do my windshield and rear window installation. Scheduled the date for June 12th, as that was his first opening. Then 2 hours later the surgeon's office calls and tells me my hernia surgery is approved and scheduled for.....June 12th!
    So have call the shop now and see if their 2nd date of June 18th is still open.
    Vall

My covered panels, except for divider that I can't do until my last two speakers arrive.
    Inside quarters:

Door panels:

Got them both installed today.

Will need to pull the handles when I get escutcheons for the handles later.
    Vall

Beautiful Vall. Looks great.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    Beautiful Vall. Looks great.
    Thank you Mario!
    I found the missing escutcheons for the handles I need today. United Pacific, (the same company I bought the window knob rebuild kits from) sells repops for $3 ea. so having my friend who sells UP order me up 6 of them.

I couldn't figure out how to finish the headliner over the doors. Nothing left on my car, and nothing I saw anywhere online to see how they were done? So I just decided today to finish it off like the 50's and 60's cars did with a trim strip. They used a piece of sheet metal above each door to tuck the edge into, leaving a smooth rolled edge above the doors.
    I cut sheet metal strips, and used self tapping screws to attach them. Then used a putty knife to slightly bend them, and stuffed the material doubled over under the edge. It worked great, and seems to be holding as designed.
    The 39 has staple strips above the windshield, but nothing around the back window. I'm guessing it had a staple strip also, but can't tell where it would go? Need to figure that out as I just glued it around the window, and need something more to ensure it wont release and drop out. It needs glue and staple strips.
    Vall

After a couple days I went out to the shop yesterday and the headliner had released the glued area around the back window! It's 3M spray adhesive, but seems not to hold well. I could press it back down, and it held great again, but not sure how long?
    I read my shop manual and it says the headliner is glued and "tacked" around the window, but no sign of how it could be tacked, or what it can tack to? I questioned this on the '37-'39 Chev forum, but got no answers. So today I decided to try a little bit time consuming fix that should hold it.
    I re-glued it around the window, and then got out my rivet gun and drill 1/8" holes through the headliner and steel framework. Riveted it every 3" on the straight section, and every 1.5" or so in the corners. It should sure hold now, and the rivet heads are thin enough it wont interfere with the weatherstrip or garnish molding.
    Started another deep cleaning, but had to quit early. Tomorrow I'll back it out to the front and after blowing off the dust I'll begin washing the engine, frame, suspension and whatever else has tons of dust.
    Vall

Cleanup day. Pulled the coupe into the driveway and mixed up a bucket of suds. Sprayed it off with the air hose everywhere first, and then washed it down and scrubbed with bristle brush. Lots of overspray on the newly painted frame rails, so scuffed them and shot another coat of gloss black engine enamel.
    After that I remembered I forgot to install the lap belts I got, so removed the bolts on the seats and installed the belts. Cleaned up inside and out, and touched up black paint wherever. The engine survived the build without much dirt, so a quick dusting, and hose down got it looking good again.
    Decided I'm just going to leave it in primer for the summer unless I find somebody who can paint it reasonably and then I'll have it done.

Vall

Hey Vall. Those wheels and primer color body are great combo. I’m really liken that 39 body style. I never really liked the fat fender years Before but your cars got my attention. Great job.

by the way I know it’s too late but the 3m black weatherstrip adhesive works good at the outside edging of the headliner with the black plastic wind lace to hide the edge. I forget if you said you didn’t have an edge or not.
    Last edited by mmhotrod; 06-01-2020 at 06:54 PM.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    Hey Vall. Those wheels and primer color body are great combo. I’m really liken that 39 body style. I never really liked the fat fender years Before but your cars got my attention. Great job.

by the way I know it’s too late but the 3m black weatherstrip adhesive works good at the outside edging of the headliner with the black plastic wind lace to hide the edge. I forget if you said you didn’t have an edge or not.
    Thanks Mario. Appreciate the comments!

And the 3M weatherstrip tip is great also! I have 4 places that just end with the edge showing, and was unsure what to do. Not much shows at these places, two are the "A" pillars where it just ends and had maybe 1/2" raw edge showing. The other two are the B pillars where it goes vertical along the door opening side. The opposite side ends under the 1/4 windows, but nothing along the door opening. I had planned on making a filler panel the width of the B pillar to finish it, but using the adhesive would be much easier, and look much better!!
    I assume I'd just mask along the edge, and then apply it to hide the edge?
    Vall

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements