'39 Chevy Coupe project. - Page 51
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 51 of 54 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: '39 Chevy Coupe project.

Quote Originally Posted by Road Angels View Post
    Kind of old and senile.........crap we are all old here.............lol......I bought a blanket from HF good bargain...now I just have to figure out how to use it.................lol
    I bought a blanket, but I just wanted to curl up and go to sleep with it!
    Vall

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

I really like the work Vall. looks so nice and clean. great job.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    I really like the work Vall. looks so nice and clean. great job.
    Thanks Mario! It reminded me how little I can contort my body these days when I had to do the last weld at the outlet of the muffler to the tailpipe, under the car. Reaching through the ladder bars, and worm crawling my way up between the pipes to get to the inside edges between the two mufflers. I told myself it's the last weld on the exhaust, so that kept me motivated!
    Vall

Colder than Hell out in the shop today! It's high 30's here today, and I ran my little electric heater all day, but it was still chilly out there!
    I got my upper shock mounts fabricated and installed.

I sanded the new front shocks and shot them with Duplicolor chrome paint to give a better match than the ugly white they were.

Reinstalled my brake master, and all the lines. Bled the front brakes, but had problems with the rear bleed screws so after getting them loose I think I'll buy new bleed screws before I do the rears.
    Vall

Since it's Thanksgiving I told Deb I'd take today off. But my son in law wanted to see the progress on the coupe, so we went out to look it over. While we were there I asked if he'd give me a hand removing the last piece of glass in the coupe; the rear window. So we got a couple screwdrivers and gradually pried it out and with one on each side we were able to catch it inside and not break it as it came loose.
    Weatherstrip seal looks perfect, so I wont need to buy a new one!
    Vall

Started out today on my '69 Suburban. Went to go to the store the other day and my phone rang. It was my wife telling me I had no taillights! So parked it until today, and dug into the wiring.
    Like most old rigs the wiring has been messed with, and I found several problems while troubleshooting it. One was a blown fuse that was caused by a short. I found a wire run to the front turnsignals that someone had trapped between the inner fender and the bracket holding the inner fender. Got it out and repaired, but still no lights.
    Next I pulled all the lamps front, rear, and side marker, and began checking for a ground. None existed anymore, so I figured the one short was all I had. I pulled the parking lights on and began putting in the side markers, and found a couple burnt out, and replaced them. Then began installing the parking lamps up front and fund one side not working. Traced it to a butt splice someone installed for whatever reason, and repaired that.
    Moved to the rear and one light didn't work. Pulled the interior side panels and found another place where some moron wired in a trailer plug and made a horrible mess with those insulation displacement connectors. One had cut a wire, so I removed all of them and repaired every connection.
    Got all that done and checked turnsignals, and one was out in the same left side light. The wire was pulled out of the connector, so pinned it back in and finally got all the lights working.

Then finally got to the '39! I finished bleeding the brake system, and did some touchup on the black paint underneath that I saw while bleeding the brakes. Then pulled the differential cover, and of course the Pick N Pull guys had punched a hole in the differential cover to drain the rear axle. I cleaned it all up, and made up a small steel patch and welded it inside and out to ensure it seals. Gave it a coat of paint, and left it to dry until tomorrow.
    I'll reinstall it, and add some friction modifier for the posi, and refill it later.
    Vall

Wow Vall I’m exhausted just listening to you working. I don’t know how you do it. After the burb I would have been done for the day. Good work buddy
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    Wow Vall I’m exhausted just listening to you working. I don’t know how you do it. After the burb I would have been done for the day. Good work buddy
    Thanks Mario! I had a plan for the '39, so I figured since I was already working I might as well forge ahead!
    Vall

Waited until about noon today for the temps to get into the high 30's, and then fired up my tank mounted radiant propane heater to take the chill off the shop and went to work for a few hours.
    I got the differential cover on and sealed, and mounted the battery box in the trunk. Then cut off some unnecessary metal in the trunk that was for the subfloor for the spare tire. I'll keep things as low and flat as possible, so don't need two floors.

Then I got the wiring harness and fuse block out and began trying to figure out where it could be mounted to be able to troubleshoot, but not end up where I couldn't conceal the wiring. I finally chose the left side up high under the dash where the old hand brake once mounted. It's not the perfect spot, but it is the best spot I could mount it and still be able to make the steering column connectors reach, and also be out of the way.
    I got the steering column plugs pinned, and snapped together, but that was about it. It's a real rat's nest of wires right now. I'll get things routed to the front and rear, and then I can work on tidying up a bit. Can't cut too many wire ties until I do route groups, or I'll have an even bigger mess to deal with!

Vall

Great work Vall. Looks like you’re working off a punch list. I know I’m probably too late but just in case you can do this. I cut a piece of stainless and welded it to the body. Then I took the rest of the piece and mounted the fuse box and relays. Mounted the fuse box with screws so it can drop any time for work needing to be done. I even mounted my Msd there so it can be dropped and serviced.
    I used stainless self tapping screws for all my ground leads. You can’t beat stainless as your ground. Anyway. You be the electric man. So I’m sure this is nothing you haven’t done yet.
    Mario

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements