'39 Chevy Coupe project. - Page 43
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 ... LastLast

Thread: '39 Chevy Coupe project.

WOW!!!!!!!!! an LS yessssssssssssssss. Nicccccccccce work Vall...........
    Rik

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Say What

Quote Originally Posted by noted1017 View Post
    WOW!!!!!!!!! an LS yessssssssssssssss. Nicccccccccce work Vall...........
    ...You know something we don't Rik..............lol....sounds like in for a penny in for a pound type deal on the heads
    Lash

Vall I wish I could have sold you my dually for a transplant big block style. Too bad I’m so far away.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    Vall I wish I could have sold you my dually for a transplant big block style. Too bad I’m so far away.
    Not sure I could afford a dually as a daily driver Mario. I'm trying to go the route of less gas used, not more. The Burb has always been a compromise on MPG with it getting around 17 mpg on the highway, and 14 mpg in town. But I love it so much I figured it's a compromise i could live with.
    Of course the options of going to a mini truck, or swapping in late model power train would make it more economical. But not sure either are viable to me.
    Vall

Well my machine shop really let me down. Used these guys since the 70's and always had good response. I asked them Tuesday if they could possibly rush the head work, and was told, "A couple days." Then I got the call on Friday that he had just taken them out of the tank and found cracks. That was irritating, but I asked if he could make up a pair, and he said he'd do so Sat. for me. Then I called Sat. to ask what time I might pick the heads up, and was told around 3:00 p.m. But at 4:30 he called and said they were running late, but would stay one them and finish. Around 7:30 last night I figured they went home, and didn't even call to apologize or tell me they were not finishing.
    Guess it will be Monday (hopefuly) before I get them. Sure hope the weather holds out here!
    Vall

That sounds right about most machine shops I’ve dealt with. It’s been a while for me. I worked with Gary and did some of the work to speed things up. Unusual circumstances but it worked great for me. Be patient Vall. You don’t want a rush job and double work. Too bad you couldn’t find a donor car quickly. Hope you get it done soon.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Lash

Quote Originally Posted by Road Angels View Post
    D&D is the shop doing my heads. They run those ads all the time, but don't have any in stock, or I'd have just purchased a pair from Dave.

I'm trying to be patient Mario. But as I mentioned previously the reason I'm in a hurry is because we're having surprisingly dry weather, and I'm doing this outside. I sure don't want to miss all this great weather and end up getting the heads after the rains start again! This is Oregon, so rains can come anytime, regardless of what the weatherman tells us!

But since I can't do anything else to the truck right now, I finally got some time out on the '39. I removed the leaf springs from their mounts in front and drove out the nylon bushings. Replaced all of them with oilite bushings to make them last longer. While I had them apart I painted the parts so they wont need to be apart again later.
    After that I dug the ladder bars out and added the extra support tube to both. Then I built the missing safety straps and painted them up too.

I welded up the extra tube and gave them a coat of black engine enamel. Will give them anther shot later as I'm sure they'll get banged up a little during install. I opened up the axle brackets from 3" to 3.25" for the large 8.8" Ford tubes.

I'll need to build a front crossmember to attach them to, and incorporate a driveline loop into the crossmember. I'll use my 1.25" DOM tubing for that since I've got plenty leftover.
    Vall

Nice work Vall the extra tube makes them look better as well as more twist resistant...and you can count on marking them up after you get then in...lol
    Lash

Quote Originally Posted by Road Angels View Post
    Nice work Vall the extra tube makes them look better as well as more twist resistant...and you can count on marking them up after you get then in...lol
    I already got some scuffs on the new paint just assembling them, so I'm sure there's more to come.

I need to install my flex plate for the engine/trans. I think I might remove 4 bolts and replace them with 6" pieces of all thread or bolts in the block. That will allow me to jack up the trans and slide it back on the all thread, but not have to drop it. I think 4"-5" will be plenty of room to get the flex plate in, and tighten the crank bolts too. I sure don't feel like wrestling the trans out of the car if I can avoid it.
    Vall

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements