'39 Chevy Coupe project. - Page 124
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 124 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125 LastLast
Results 1,231 to 1,240 of 1242

Thread: '39 Chevy Coupe project.

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    Since my frontend doesn't tilt, it doesn't apply Mario. But it does show how far out it would protrude, and I'm not a fan of that.
    your front end doesn't tilt? do you know what this means? this means I haven't been paying near enough attention to your work.

Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Nope. No tilt. The hood is removable, so I can run with or without. But fenders are steel, and bolted up solid.
    Vall

Got a pair of non period correct valve covers for the '39 Chev. Haven't been happy with the old finned covers, as they're just not that cool. And I found a pair of NOS B&M covers I really wanted, but at $550 on BIN Ebay, I passed.
    I located these Brodix valve covers locally for a decent price NIB, so got them for the SBC.

Vall

Nice...with the open sides on the 39 those will look real good...if the engine shows by all means dress it up...nothing wrong with mixing old and new...
    Lash...Washington Chapter and Member...Mean Old Bastards Club

Quote Originally Posted by Road Angels View Post
    Nice...with the open sides on the 39 those will look real good...if the engine shows by all means dress it up...nothing wrong with mixing old and new...
    I agree of course, although I've heard guys question the mixing of eras. A friend had these and finally decided they were too modern for his tastes. So I jumped on the cheaper price. I still have to drill holes for breather on one side, and PCV valve on the other. And figure out what to do to baffle the breather and not have screws show outside. I may bend up an aluminum baffle and have it tig welded inside to avoid screws. Or just buy Mr Gasket baffled grommets.
    Vall

Beginning to chip away at my winter projects on the '39. I pulled the valve covers off, and test fitted the new Brodix valve covers. Passenger side just cleared the firewall by 1/4"! Driver's side wouldn't go on at all! Had to remove the coil from the firewall, and then it just cleared the alternator, and slipped over the supplied studs. Once in place the coil can go back on as it's only in the way when sliding them in place. They do make the engine look slightly larger with their physical size, and height.

I also broke out the metal working tools and cut up some sheet metal fillers to weld into the old bumper openings. Ground everything smooth and tacked them in. Still need to hammer them into shape after welding, and give them a coat of filler. Discovered a small crack on the bottom edge of one fender also, so welded that up too.

Next I swapped out the shackles on my front axle springs. I've had these shackles sitting here forever, and wanted to install them to give a slight lift, and slightly more kingpin angle. They're 1.5" longer hole to hole, and have a tube brace welded between the shackles to make them one piece, and an H shape. Which makes them a little stronger also.
    That turned out to be more of a task than I thought! One pair had the brace welded in crooked, so the holes didn't align! Couldn't get a bolt through the close fitting holes. I could have opened the holes up, but that didn't sound right. So I cut the tube brace out, put bolts in top and bottom, and welded the brace back in properly aligned. It went right in after that.
    The 1.5" taller rear shackle raised the front almost 1", and changed the kingpin angle from 6 degrees, to 7.5 degrees. Should make it track even better, although it tracked fine before too.

Need to check valve lash before putting gaskets on, and finishing the valve covers. And need to see if I still have spare valve cover gaskets too!
    Vall

Wow what a list in a short time. Valve covers look cool. How in the world does someone weld the shackle crooked. No pride in the worker anymore. Must have been a 5 o’clock whistle shackle. Glad you got it sorted out.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    Wow what a list in a short time. Valve covers look cool. How in the world does someone weld the shackle crooked. No pride in the worker anymore. Must have been a 5 o’clock whistle shackle. Glad you got it sorted out.
    I wondered the same Mario. They were new pieces I found at a swap meet. Appeared to have never been used, and now I know why! Quick cut with the band saw on one end was all it took. I stopped just shy of cutting clear through so it would help hold it while I put bolts through and rewelded it.

I've always bought inexpensive shackle sets at swap meets, and I keep finding projects to use them on!
    Vall

Got to ask were does the oil go in.....longer shackles...going up...2nd floor Gasser-ville....covers look great...adds some bulk to that engine
    Lash...Washington Chapter and Member...Mean Old Bastards Club

Quote Originally Posted by Road Angels View Post
    Got to ask were does the oil go in.....longer shackles...going up...2nd floor Gasser-ville....covers look great...adds some bulk to that engine
    If you read my earlier post I mentioned I have to drill a hole in each valve cover. One for a PCV valve, and another for a breather, where I'll fill oil also.
    Longer shackles are now 4.25" between holes. Not really that long. My old ones were just that short.
    Vall

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements