'39 Chevy Coupe project. - Page 66
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 66 of 69 FirstFirst ... 16566465666768 ... LastLast

Thread: '39 Chevy Coupe project.

Quote Originally Posted by Road Angels View Post
    That is awesome Vall...I can now stop looking for front end parts for you..................
    I thought I'd be heading up your way when I saw it was in Seattle CL! I was pleasantly surprised when he told me he was in Beaverton!
    I'm headed over tomorrow to Old Car Parts to look at the chin panel that goes under the grille. Joe has one that he says is very solid, but has "a dent the size of a small potato". So I'll grab that and hope I can beat him up on the price tag a bit. I found another in Kansas that's perfect and he's the same price. So maybe Joe will lower his price on a dented one.
    Of course the front clip will be bolted on now, and not tilt. But hood will remain removable by pulling the 4 hood pins, and lifting it off. So it will still be easy to work on with the hood off.
    Vall

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

I think in the log run you will be more pleased with the metal front than the floppyglass one...just hope you can make the glass hood fit better...but now you could set it up to run both the plastic hood or a full metal ...win... win
    Lash

I think in the log run you will be more pleased with the metal front than the floppyglass one...just hope you can make the glass hood fit better...but now you could set it up to run both the plastic hood or a full metal ...win... win
    Maybe, but if I have hood pins or some attachment means for a glass hood, they'd need to be removed to run the metal hood. So likely I wont buy a metal hood. But I'm going to re-cut the curve on the side opening, ass it just doesn't work for me. Going to follow the trim line further down, and make the curve smaller to remove much of the point that goes down on each side.

I got out there in the mid 30's cold this morning and stripped one fender, and the mating edge of the other fender. Shot the edges with primer so I could bolt them up. Then headed over to Old Car Parts and made a deal on the chin piece he had. It's extremely nice, and was blasted already. Just needed the two dents pounded out and then shot with primer too.

After that I bolted the fenders up to the body with the 5 holes that mate there. What a fantastic fit! They aligned great with the body, and I finally have both front tires sitting inside the fenders. With the glass fenders it was shifted to one side enough that it looked like my axle was off to one side! Now the hood aligns much better with the fenders too! No time to check the grille alignment as my buddy needed me to help wire his winch for his new tilt trailer.
    But it's sure nice now, even if it's not completely cleaned up yet! Little bit of filler in the top of this fender.

This one is the one with a crack I need to weld up.

Hard to tell yet, but this opening sure looks closer to the grille for fit!

I'll have to start measuring and making all the brackets and mounts to secure the front part of the clip now.
    Vall

$200 that was a great deal...looking at the side grilles are they an insert. 0r are they punched into the fenders like louvers...???
    Lash

Wow, so very happy you found the parts! And so close and not a bad price either! Now, if you had found those earlier........

What a score Vall. That's awesome my friend. They look like real good shape too. Where is the crack? I couldn't figure that out.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    What a score Vall. That's awesome my friend. They look like real good shape too. Where is the crack? I couldn't figure that out.
    The crack is top dead center on the wheelwell opening of the driver's fender. Seemed n odd place to crack in the middle of the curve to me? The guy who sold them to me said he'd seen the same cracked spot on numerous old 30's fenders.
    Vall

$200 that was a great deal...looking at the side grilles are they an insert. 0r are they punched into the fenders like louvers...???
    They were stamped into the fenders, and integral. They did offer an option of stainless steel grille pieces that went over them, but they're rare, and super expensive when I see them. Last pair I saw was around $500!! Chevs of the 40's has repops in stainless for $250 each, with no hardware to mount them. Too rich for my budget build.
    Vall

I’m thinking you’re gonna need a 6” DA sander and more all metal. Self adhesive 80 grit and 180 grit to 300 grit. Round and round you go. Never stop moving the sander and all circular motion. Lots of rounds on those fenders. I spent around 30 hours a fender on mine the first time out. But of course I was learning. None the less they be nice and round. Too bad I’m not using them on the car right now. There she be the first time around.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4706626B-A304-487C-A677-7A1042279A09.jpeg  
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    I’m thinking you’re gonna need a 6” DA sander and more all metal. Self adhesive 80 grit and 180 grit to 300 grit. Round and round you go. Never stop moving the sander and all circular motion. Lots of rounds on those fenders. I spent around 30 hours a fender on mine the first time out. But of course I was learning. None the less they be nice and round. Too bad I’m not using them on the car right now. There she be the first time around.
    30 hours a fender!!!! I am lazy would have had them sand blasted...you mast have been broke at the time....................lol....been there....wait a minute I spent several hours just cleaning up an axle.......and I wasn't broke.......damn the shit we do makes no sense
    Lash

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements