'39 Chevy Coupe project. - Page 99
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 99 of 102 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101 ... LastLast

Thread: '39 Chevy Coupe project.

I got a good lesson in why I should always use copper gauge lines yesterday! Just cruising along on the way to meet the guys in my car club for dinner, when suddenly there's smoke everywhere! And since I had the cowl vent and windows open at 91 degrees, it filled the cab with smoke too! I saw an apartment lot and quickly turned in as I shut it down. Got out to see how bad the damage was, and was shocked to see oil running down the front fenders, down the sides of the car, and all over the leading edge of the rear fenders! I popped the hood off, and of course the engine bay was covered in oil also! Just a total oil bath everywhere!
    After a quick inspection I saw the oil sending line was popped out of it's fitting, and the line appeared to have simply let go from the compression fitting. I called AAA and got a rollback to haul the '39 home. Then before doing anything else, I mixed up a bath of Purple Power degreaser, and began washing down the whole body several times. First time seemed to remove all the oil, but a couple more to be sure. Also washed down the engine and engine bay. My air cleaner was soaked, but fortunately it's a washable element, so I'll remove it and wash it separately.
    Went to my local Autozone and bought a copper gauge line kit, and another gallon of oil. Dipstick showed almost nothing left in the engine, but I got it turned off quickly, so doubt it was hurt. I also got a pair of valve cover gaskets as I wanted to double check valve lash soon anyway, so might as well do so now.
    Once the line is replaced, I've got to get underneath and check the bottom side of the car also. When it rolled off the tow truck I saw the bed of the truck had oil drips everywhere from oil running down the frame of the '39! So I'm pretty sure there's going to be a ton of underside cleanup also!
    And I also realized I'd forgotten a major item of every build I do....a fire extinguisher! The oil on the headers had tried to catch fire, but fortunately not enough to get going. But it reminded me I never got a fire extinguisher yet, so I'll get one today, and mount it in the car! Going to be a long day today cleaning up everything. I'll never use the plastic gauge lines again!
    Vall

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Holy crap Vall that was too close for comfort. So glad it didn’t catch fire. Good thing you shut it down too. Just the other day I had one of the plastic oil lines in my hand and I said to myself I’ll never use that.
    I hope you get it all cleaned up.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    Holy crap Vall that was too close for comfort. So glad it didn’t catch fire. Good thing you shut it down too. Just the other day I had one of the plastic oil lines in my hand and I said to myself I’ll never use that.
    I hope you get it all cleaned up.
    Got the new copper line kit installed, and everything cleaned as good as I could. Close to where it was prior to the line failing, but I'm sure there's plenty of oil in recesses I can't get at. Polished up all the aluminum after cleaning, and then tested the lines to insure no leaks. I ordered two more kits to put on my Austin, and the Suburban also.
    I lost 3 qts. of oil in just seconds between seeing smoke and shutting it down. But the engine sounds fine, and oil pressure is great, so no harm done. I also picked up a fire extinguisher and mounted it in the trunk where it's easy to get to. Don't want to be without if I ever see flames!
    Vall

Well I'm irritated today. I decided to drive the car around to burn off the oil that was left on the exhaust pipes, but also wanted to see how far down my tank would go before running out of gas. I took a 2 gal. gas can with me, and stayed near town where I could pour the gas in and then get to a station to fill it.
    It went right down to just damp before I ran out, which surprised me. Poured the 2 gal. in the tank, and then at the gas station I filled it as full as it could go to see the full tank amount. It took 9.7 gal. of gas, so a 12 gal. cell.
    This is when I got pissed off. I bought this as a 15.5 gal. fuel cell, and of course that's been much too long ago to do anything about it now. I really wanted as large as I could fit under the trunk, and now I'm 3 gal. short of what I was told it is. Pisses me off.
    Vall

Yep,

screwed at the take out window again. That shit really gets old especially since it appears to be the norm now rather than the exception. Although it does do a heart good to know that I'm not the only one
    Steve Hidden Content in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

Quote Originally Posted by sbauman2 View Post
    screwed at the take out window again. That shit really gets old especially since it appears to be the norm now rather than the exception. Although it does do a heart good to know that I'm not the only one
    And I even removed all the foam from inside it when I got it new! I figured I might have an extra quart or half gallon by removing foam! Must be that new fangled foam that gives more capacity when they put it in?
    Vall

My 17 gal alum tank is a 15 gallon. My wife said I always was a couple qts low.

Quote Originally Posted by vht View Post
    My 17 gal alum tank is a 15 gallon. My wife said I always was a couple qts low.
    I just did the calculations to figure capacity, and came up with 12.7 gal., but I used external measurements, so likely it's 12.5 internal capacity. The formula for capacity is Length x width x depth divided by 231.
    Vall

Got out early today to tackle some small things. I built a set of inside and outside plates to cover my wiper holes, and the driver's side gets a wiper motor below it. Passenger side will have a stainless button head allen to hold that plate in. I made up leads for the wiper motor, and marked the shaft length. Tore the motor apart and shortened the threaded shaft, and the stainless wiper arm shaft. Had a hole in the dash right behind the wiper motor, so opened it up and installed a toggle switch there to operate the motor. I will leave the wiper arm off, so it stays in good shape, and simply install it if I get caught in the rain.
    About the time I finished the wiper motor, the mailman showed up with my steering wheel adapter, so I ran and got my new 15" 3 spoke wheel, and took the big 18" Pontiac wheel off. I like the looks of the Pontiac wheel, but it's just way too big, and feels like I'm driving a big truck. So the new wheel looks good, and feels great. It got a slightly oversized grip. so it fills my big hands well. I got a satin black spoke, and a chrome horn cap, which makes less bling, but looks good to me.
    And the mailman was really good to me, as he brought my new locking trunk handle too! It was a quick install as it took the same holes as the '34 Chrysler handle I had, but I had to disassemble all the mechanism behind it to get to the nuts inside. Nice shiny chrome T handle, and now I wont worry about what's in the trunk when I'm not around the car.

Vall

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    Got out early today to tackle some small things. I built a set of inside and outside plates to cover my wiper holes, and the driver's side gets a wiper motor below it. Passenger side will have a stainless button head allen to hold that plate in. I made up leads for the wiper motor, and marked the shaft length. Tore the motor apart and shortened the threaded shaft, and the stainless wiper arm shaft. Had a hole in the dash right behind the wiper motor, so opened it up and installed a toggle switch there to operate the motor. I will leave the wiper arm off, so it stays in good shape, and simply install it if I get caught in the rain.
    About the time I finished the wiper motor, the mailman showed up with my steering wheel adapter, so I ran and got my new 15" 3 spoke wheel, and took the big 18" Pontiac wheel off. I like the looks of the Pontiac wheel, but it's just way too big, and feels like I'm driving a big truck. So the new wheel looks good, and feels great. It got a slightly oversized grip. so it fills my big hands well. I got a satin black spoke, and a chrome horn cap, which makes less bling, but looks good to me.
    And the mailman was really good to me, as he brought my new locking trunk handle too! It was a quick install as it took the same holes as the '34 Chrysler handle I had, but I had to disassemble all the mechanism behind it to get to the nuts inside. Nice shiny chrome T handle, and now I wont worry about what's in the trunk when I'm not around the car.

that interior looks awesome Vall. Great job.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements