'39 Chevy Coupe project. - Page 120
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 120 of 122 FirstFirst ... 2070110118119120121122 LastLast
Results 1,191 to 1,200 of 1211

Thread: '39 Chevy Coupe project.

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    No, but what do you do about air once you plug a tire?

I'm considering buying a space saver spare from the local wrecking yard, as I built a spot into the trunk area to specifically hold a small spare for trips. Just need to ensure the spare wheel has a large center hole for the 8.8" Ford axle's large stub, but still 5x4.5" Ford pattern. The two wheels I presently have are full size, but neither will fit over the 8.8" axles.

I don’t think you want to put plugs in the rear tires. I have a mini compressor to pump the tire back up.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    I don’t think you want to put plugs in the rear tires. I have a mini compressor to pump the tire back up.
    Probably not much chance of a flat on the slicks. The smooth tread seems to not pick up foreign objects like tread does. I can't begin to recall how many flats I've gotten on the rear tires of my Suburban! Those huge 325-50-15 tires seem to be magnets for junk! I've had to replace two of those tires just because they picked up bolts that were 5/16" and 3/8" diameter which couldn't be repaired!! Amazing that a machined bolt with no point could even begin to penetrate a tire, or situate itself such as to allow it to puncture the tread?
    Vall

Hit the local Pick N Pull yesterday and went through the Ford rows to find a space saver spare. Found a couple really weird ones that were huge diameter! Must be space savers for trucks or SUV's? Found a brand new one from a car and they were on sale for $15.
    I took my plastic bolt pattern checker, and sure glad I did, as it seems Ford must have changed their bolt spacing in recent years? I found numerous 5 bolt wheels that were slightly smaller patterns. Couldn't locate a pattern on my plastic tool to figure out what they were, but appeared to be something around 5 x 4 3/8" instead of 5 x 4.5" Ford? Weird, and probably some metric BS pattern.

edit-Did some searching, and it might be Ford switched to the 5 x 108mm pattern, or 4.25" pattern in 2012 on some models. Focus, T Bird, Lincoln, etc. seem to have gotten this smaller pattern. So good to have a bolt pattern checker when searching the wrecking yard.
    Vall

Have you

ever used the aerosol flat fixer Vall. I've always carried a can and a 12 volt compressor with me and it has come in handy; I've even used it to help a stranded driver.
    Steve Hidden Content MOB in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

Quote Originally Posted by sbauman2 View Post
    ever used the aerosol flat fixer Vall. I've always carried a can and a 12 volt compressor with me and it has come in handy; I've even used it to help a stranded driver.
    Yes, but it's only good for very small punctures. Anything of any size and it wont seal like a plug does. And my tire store hates that stuff when I brought the car in for them to do a permanent fix! What an ugly gooey mess inside the tire to clean up!
    Vall

Get on Craigs list and see if any one has a Grand Marquis space saver...some are a real neat spun aluminum
    Lash...Washington Chapter and Member...Mean Old Bastards Club

I wont be using it unless I'm on a trip. Once I return home from this trip, the spare, floor jack, and tools go back in the garage. Nothing fancy needed, and hopefully it's just insurance, and wont see the road.
    Pick n Pull charges more for mag wheels, so $15 for the steel wheel and tire is better for us tightwads.
    Vall

Just got back a few hours ago, and had a fantastic trip! Nice to see my friends after over a year, but also nice to get this many miles behind the wheel of the '39 too! Probably got at least a couple hundred extra miles as I did a big detour over past Grand Coulee dam, just because I'd never been there, plus I was having so much fun on the trip!! Totaled around 1200 miles for the trip.
    The 700R4 is just the best decision ever for this car build, and the ability to cruise down the road and let the car just lope along. Lot of 60-70 mph driving, and the OD trans makes the '39 love cruising at 70-75 mph more than any hotrod I've ever owned. It just purrs along at about 2200 rpm's there, and feels better there than even a little slower 55-60mph does.
    I tracked the gas pretty closely, because of the darned 12 gal. tank, and limited distance between fill ups. I ended up filling far too often, just because I feared running out. So I usually only took 7 or 8 gal. of gas, but the car averaged around 19 mpg out on the flats, and 17 mpg in the mountains where it spent more time in 3rd than OD 4th. So I could easily go 150 miles and have some reserve left. But I'll probably keep looking for a larger fuel cell that's the same length and width, but more depth to get 15 or 16 gal. capacity, so less fuel stops.
    Zero problems with the car anywhere. I did have a couple really windy areas where I had side gusts of around 35-40 mph that surprised me. I didn't expect a car this big and heavy to get pushed around like it did, and it was a little spooky to feel it. But not something so bad I wanted to pull over and wait it out.

Probably going to take me a full afternoon with my pressure washer to get all the bugs off the front suspension! I've got quite a collection of critters stuck under there, plus all over the front of the car too! But I guess that's something I'll have to accept if I'm going to put lots of miles on it.
    Vall

That's

efin great Vall. Great to hear you had a fun and uneventful (car wise) trip; congrats on another successful build.
    Steve Hidden Content MOB in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

sounds like a blast! Must be a great feeling.
    Dave

I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am!

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements