'39 Chevy Coupe project. - Page 57
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 57 of 119 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107 ... LastLast

Thread: '39 Chevy Coupe project.

We had one of those rare warm winter days today! Got up to high 50's, so I got out to the shop and mixed up some skim coat putty and skim coated the seams and joints I have all over the car. Didn't have time to sand today, so maybe this weekend I can get back on it and begin blocking these areas out.
    Vall

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Yeah don't rush the skim coat. Let it cure in this cold.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

I'd guess it cured the day it got warm, but I likely wont be sanding the skim coat for a week or so. Weather has turned back to normal for us, so high 30's to high 40's again, and rainy.
    I need to get back under the car and replace the straps I used for fuel line and battery cable. I got some I thought would work, but when I ran the self tapping screws down they twisted the straps like a pretzel. So I ordered new straps and they just arrived. Not I need to climb under the car again and swap out all the crappy ones.
    Vall

Nothing going on today that could pull me away, so I put in some time on the car. Removed all the crumby fuel line and battery straps, and replaced them with good quality rubber insulated straps. Cut up the battery cables and crimped on the ends so they're ready for a battery to go in. Made up full sized 2/0 jumpers from battery ground to frame, and from frame up front to engine block. Ground all the surfaces so shouldn't have any resistance or grounding issues.
    Installed the dipstick tube for the engine, and also the fan on the water pump. Need to buy a small number of toggle switches for various items so I have a way to cut them off if needed. I'd like to get the fiberglass nose on the car to begin building my framework, but this darn rain is getting in the way of me rolling the car outside to set the nose on it!
    Vall

Weather here the shits also...have not done any thing in the shop other than cleanup...freak'in to cold to open up and weld or paint
    Lash...Washington Chapter and Member...Mean Old Bastards Club

Quote Originally Posted by Road Angels View Post
    Weather here the shits also...have not done any thing in the shop other than cleanup...freak'in to cold to open up and weld or paint
    I ran my little portable electric heater all day yesterday since it wasn't freezing temps. Hate to run the propane heater if I don't need to just because it really gets the shop warm.
    Vall

Senior Member Marks63PontiacGasser's Avatar
    VAll I was sad to here you sold the Falcon. But i really like the new project.
    It's not a period gasser but it is what I would have built had I been of age to back then.

Yesterday I was so far behind that the guy in front of me was me!

Quote Originally Posted by Marks63PontiacGasser View Post
    VAll I was sad to here you sold the Falcon. But i really like the new project.
    Only so much space, and so much budget Mark. I'd love to be wealthy enough to own a huge storage warehouse, and keep every car I ever owned in it!
    Vall

I've been pondering how to do the headlights and turn signals on the coupe. I already purchased sealed beam buckets off a Ford truck, but I couldn't see a good way to be able to adjust them for level. And then there was the turn signal issue too. The old headlights had the turn signals in the headlamp above center, and I kinda liked that. I had a couple LED type chrome pods I considered, but wasn't really sold on them either.
    So I hit the Pick N Pull today and went looking for donors. I ended up pulling halogen sockets and reflectors from a wrecked Ford SUV, and tore the busted up lenses off. Then I stopped at Oreillys and got a pair of 1157 sockets. So this was what I started with:

And these old reflectors and buckets from my coupe:

I started by using an old 3" header collector as a pattern, and traced a circle around the donor reflectors.

Then I cut the reflectors down with my bandsaw, and ground them smooth to the line I marked. After that I removed the sockets from the coupe's reflectors, and opened up both holes larger. Since all the silver was off the copper reflectors, I shot them with rattlecan chrome.

After shooting them I pre drilled the donor halogen sockets and then held them centered on the reflectors and drilled one hole for a pop rivet. Then drilled the other three holes. After the new sockets were in I installed the signal sockets in where the original sockets were. I had to notch the donor halogen sockets as they were slightly large and covered the turn signal hole.

Once they were finished I took them over to my quad and used the battery to test the headlights and turn signals. They work great and the turn signals are plenty bright enough to be seen with the headlights on. I think I'll likely use LED headlight lamps instead of these halogen, just so they last longer and have no maintenance issues.
    Vall

That’s cool Vall. Great idea. Will you have a good ground for the sockets on the turn signal bulbs. Park lamps need to work with all too. I can’t wait to see the lamps assembled.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements