'39 Chevy Coupe project. - Page 101
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 101 of 103 FirstFirst ... 519199100101102103 LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,010 of 1027

Thread: '39 Chevy Coupe project.

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    Doesn't the vacuum secondary balance kit basically do the same thing? Whenever I've run dual carbs that have vacuum secondaries I've installed the balance kit, which syncs the two carbs together, and not had any issue.
    I thought that too Vall. It may have been a different situation on mine. God I’m talking 1979. I remember looking down the carb and seeing the gas just dripping in. Swapping carbs and having the same issue. Something made me look at the vacuum lines at the back of the manifold. It may have been a manifold port running back to the carb vacuum Port or something like that. Whatever it was it solved the bleed down issue when I eliminated it.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Again

like you Vall I ran the balance line between the 2 carbs Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53 Cross Ram 1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	103187 when I ran the cross ram carbs with the vacuum secondaries and never had a problem like Mario described. What a pain in the ass it was switching the secondary springs out until I got the right ones. Best thing I ever did was selling those and going with the two 650 DP carbs. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53 Cross Ram 2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	103189
    Steve Hidden Content in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

Quote Originally Posted by sbauman2 View Post
    like you Vall I ran the balance line between the 2 carbs Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53 Cross Ram 1.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	90.5 KB 
ID:	103187 when I ran the cross ram carbs with the vacuum secondaries and never had a problem like Mario described. What a pain in the ass it was switching the secondary springs out until I got the right ones. Best thing I ever did was selling those and going with the two 650 DP carbs. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	53 Cross Ram 2.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	84.0 KB 
ID:	103189
    I've always used the quick change tops on the vacuum secondaries Steve. You can change those springs in seconds with the QC kits. I played with mine a lot, just because it was so quick and easy. And they come with a huge assortment of springs also, making it even easier.

Vall

Figured out my gas gauge issue the other day, and contacted the seller to exchange the gauge. I ordered a 0-90 ohm, and they sent me a 90-0 ohm, thus causing the reverse reading. Got the new gauge today, and got it installed.
    I also ordered some thin black foam rubber mat in a 4'x 5' size to put down in the trunk over the floor. I plan to get more black carpet from Home Depot, but want this under the carpet to deaden the noise, but not be slick like the foil back sound deadener is. I wont be gluing the carpet in the trunk, so this will keep it from slipping around also. I'll glue the carpet on the box I built to cover wiring, and vent lines, but leave it removable on the trunk floor.
    Vall

Well that gas tank sender certainly wasn’t helpful. Lol. Glad you got it fixed. Hey Vall what was the material board you used on the door panels? I know you posted it before but I’ll never find it before January. . Does Home Depot sell it?
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................

I bought it at Home Depot Mario. It is Eucatile 4'x 8' paneling. $16 a sheet. 1/8" thick and white.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EUCATILE...TW48/205995949

Check your local store, as mine didn't have it, and wouldn't bring it in. Had to drive 15 miles to the Westside store.
    Vall

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    I bought it at Home Depot Mario. It is Eucatile 4'x 8' paneling. $16 a sheet. 1/8" thick and white.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/EUCATILE...TW48/205995949

Check your local store, as mine didn't have it, and wouldn't bring it in. Had to drive 15 miles to the Westside store.
    thanks Vall. I think I have bigger diamonds than you. I think I bought a different roll than you did.
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    thanks Vall. I think I have bigger diamonds than you. I think I bought a different roll than you did.
    I debated between the 2"x 3" and the larger 3"x 4" size. I had to lay both out on scrap paper to see what they would look like, and once I did the 2"x 3" was an easy choice.

Almost forgot. Yesterday while working on little things I kept staring at my column drop, and not liking what I see. The black plastic cover I made helped, but still saw a lot of bolts, and rods exposed. So first I masked and painted all the lower column and bolts black to hide them better. Then I cut up leftover diamond material and made a filler between the column factory cover, and the column mounting bracket, to cover the exposed rods. I cut back the foam on the back of the material, and used my upholstery adhesive to spray just the ends so when I wrapped it around the column it would stick to itself, but not to the column. It worked perfectly, and sits down in the recess covering those fugly rods!
    Then I made up a paper pattern for the black plastic covering my drop, and laid it on more diamond material. Made another piece from that with extra to wrap around behind the cover. Masked off the column and everything around it, and sprayed more adhesive. Then same on the back of my diamond material. Let both sides dry, and carefully put it in place. It worked out great, and looks much better with these areas covered in the black vinyl.
    Vall

That tear drop shaped license plate light just wouldn't keep working. It had a good ground, since the trunk lid is glass and I ran a ground wire. And the hot lead read good too. But the socket seemed to be an issue, and from day to day it would quit.
    It is a pain to disassemble, but i took it apart today to try to get a permanent fix. I was digging through my electrical lamps, and parts when I found some short LED strip lights. I thought maybe they'd work, if they weren't too long. So I first tested one inside the housing, and it just barely fit! So stripped back the leads and touched them on my battery and it lit up.
    I was trying to decide how to mount it, as it had no tabs, or anything, when I saw something white in the bag. Pulled it out and it was double faced tape! Pulled the paper off and stuck it to the inside bottom of the housing, and then guided the wires through the bottom. Mounted it back on the trunk, and spliced the wires back together. Since the LED has both 12v. leads, it doesn't need to ground the housing, and it works great.
    One more nit picky thing to cross off the list!
    Vall

That is

one very cool looking hot rod Vall.
    Steve Hidden Content in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements