'39 Chevy Coupe project. - Page 46
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 46 of 48 FirstFirst ... 364445464748 LastLast

Thread: '39 Chevy Coupe project.

You know what would be really trick? Using a rubber snubber to limit some of the travel under full acceleration so the rear plants to the ground. Then you’d have drive ability and acceleration firmness when needed.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    You know what would be really trick? Using a rubber snubber to limit some of the travel under full acceleration so the rear plants to the ground. Then you’d have drive ability and acceleration firmness when needed.
    I've got a pair of urethane snubbers that will go between the axle and frame to avoid tires contacting the radius. But hadn't considered a snubber on the pinion to limit travel. I'm not sure a pinion snubber would stop wheel hop? I'm sure it would limit the pinion rise, but it might need to be too close to stop much wheel hop?
    My axle snubbers will need a 2" riser on the frame to get them close enough to stop the axle before the tires touch the radius. I've used these same snubbers on several cars because I hate too much space above the tires, and this allows me to cheat the space down closer, and not do body damage.
    Vall

I was thinking of limiting the travel of the shackles somehow otherwise the ladder bars aren’t really planting the rear tires to the ground. Maybe I’m wrong but I see the moving shackles as not holding anything in place. Just bouncing ideas at ya.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................

The shackles do limit travel. They do so by being at an angle. If they were straight back horizontally towards the ladder bars they would allow the front of the ladder bar to rise, and only partially limit travel. If they were straight down vertical they would bind the suspension and not allow the springs to compress. Being at around 30 degrees they limit travel, but not enough to bind the suspension that needs to compress and let the axle move back as the spring "lengthens" during compression.
    Vall

I got the rear shock mounts done today. I had this pair of shocks already and they were for a 2nd Gen Camaro. So figured since I needed to build mounts I'd modify the Ford spring plate to accept the bayonet lower mount and twin bolt upper. I plated the bottom of the floor to sandwich 10 ga. metal on it and then holesawed a center hole, and a pair of mounting holes. I put a bolt and nut through the floor to contain the plate, and make a pair of studs to mount and not need two people every time the shocks are worked on.

After that I vacuumed the floor and put the painted trans panels back in. Then got out my Frost King insulation and put down the insulation on the firewall and front floors. Need to remove the seats to do any of the rest.

And this is the painted dash I did the other day. Waiting for the burl wood to be able to finish the center area in burl.

Vall

The ladder bar shackle set up has been used by 4x4 guys for a long time with great success...the only better one I have seen for hot rod use was a track and roller set up at the front of the bars
    Lash

Quote Originally Posted by Road Angels View Post
    The ladder bar shackle set up has been used by 4x4 guys for a long time with great success...the only better one I have seen for hot rod use was a track and roller set up at the front of the bars
    Yes. Or sliders/floaters at the axle spring plate. They allow the springs to float inside the spring plate instead of clamping the spring plate. But since this front shackle works and is easiest I've used it several times.
    Vall

Not much paint got spread under the car today. Just enough to cover places I might not be able to get to after the fuel cell was installed! I planned to cut the floor and drop the fuel cell through it until it was maybe 2" through the floor. But after some measuring I realized the cell could go under the floor! So I opened up a square hole for the filler access, and a couple more for the vent, a plugged outlet, and the sending unit. Then bent up my brackets and lined them with dense 1/2" thick foam rubber. Put foam rubber on top where the cell goes against the floor braces, and drilled holes to bolt it all in place. I cut the 4 tabs off the bottom of the cell since they were made to bolt it down to the floor, and not needed.

After that it was too late to start the underside painting, so I vacuumed out the trunk and painted it instead.

I'll line the edges of the opening with 3/8 hose to protect them, and also seal the opening with more foam rubber to keep the exhaust from coming in. Maybe some more painting tomorrow?
    Vall

Looks great Vall. That fuel cell looks like it was planned to go in there under the trunk. Where did you get the fuel cell?
    what gear ratio did you get in that rear?
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    Looks great Vall. That fuel cell looks like it was planned to go in there under the trunk. Where did you get the fuel cell?
    what gear ratio did you get in that rear?
    The fuel cell was one off Ebay Mario. One of those $109 specials that was foam filled. Well partially anyway. I took the filler off and pulled all the foam out because too many friends have had it go bad. It's a 16 gal. and is 18" x 20" and 9" deep. Has the GM 90 ohm sending unit.
    The 8.8 posi is 3.73 gears. I wouldn't mind if it was even 4.10 since I'm using and OD trans. But with the 3.10 first gear in the 700r4 it should still pull pretty good out of the hole.
    Vall

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements