'39 Chevy Coupe project. - Page 45
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: '39 Chevy Coupe project.

Was going to take today off, but decided to go out and replace all the heater and radiator hoses on the Burb. Then my turn signal and high beam indicators arrived, so went out and drilled holes and installed them in my fabricated dash panel. So an easy day, and not a bunch of work done.
    Vall

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Some thing is better than nothing.. plus the weather other than cold has been great...brought out the trick or theaters in groves...gave out a lot of candy to some great kids...that had awesome costumes
    Lash

Same here Lash. We usually end up with a bunch of leftover candy, but last night they wiped us out.
    Vall

R&R'd my rear axle the last time today! (I hope!) I set the pinion angle, and tacked the perches to the tube. Then pulled everything loose and dropped it out where I could get a weld on both sides. Put it back, and clamped it all down again.
    Need to install my polyurethane bump stops to make sure the slicks don't ever contact the rear fenders. Also need to fabricate the rear shack mounts. I might have to do as I did on the Austin and make the top mount inside the trunk. There's not much room for length, so even a short shock will need the bottom mount lowered, and the top mount raised above the floor to get full travel.
    Vall

Jumping all around today. I decided my homemade floor shifter was a little shorter than I wanted, and shift points were closer than I wanted also. So the cure was make it taller, which would also make the move from gear to gear longer travel. I took it off, and cut the arm inside the boot where it wouldn't show. Then welded in a 2" long piece, and welded the shifter arm back on it. It's now a lot easier to reach, and a little more movement to go between gears.
    Then I figured I'd build my driveline safety loop. So I cut up some 1.25" tube to make the loop and came off each side with some 2" box tubing to go to the frame rails. I was hoping the 2" box tubing could also be the front mount for my ladder bars, but in order to get the crossmember to be in the first 6" of the driveline it will be too far forward by about 5"-6". So I'll make separate hangers off the frame for the ladder bars.
    After getting the driveline loop built, I set it aside and got the trans ready to pull. I used the 4 six inch pieces of 3/8" all thread in two holes on either side of the dowel pins on the bellhousing. After removing those bolts and replacing them with the 6" bolts, I jacked up the engine and blocked the pan. Then I put my floor jack under the trans pan, and the trans slid back like it was on rollers! I got a good 5" of space to work in, and installed the flex plate. Then I simply laid on my back and pushed on the tailshaft with my foot and the trans slid back against the engine! Easy as I could ever have hoped!
    It was a good 8 hr. day, so I didn't bother bolting up the torque converter. Just picked up my tools and came inside for some grub. Tomorrow I'll get the crossmembers for the trans and driveline loop bolted in, and get started on the mounts for the ladder bars. Once those are done I can paint the bottom side of the car before I start running the exhaust system.
    Vall

Wow you are on fire Vall. I hope you get to reap the rewards soon. Will feel great. Those chevys are so big and not my favorite years. But I really like the look of the car. At first I was a little skeptical but when I saw the curb pic I said that is really cool. Stance is great too. Should I expect any less from you? I think not. Lol
    Last edited by mmhotrod; 11-05-2019 at 08:50 AM.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    Wow you are on fire Vall. I hope you get to reap the rewards soon. Will feel great. Those chevys are so big and not my favorite years. But I really like the look of the car. At first I was a little skeptical but when I saw the curb pic I said that is really cool. Stance is great too. Should I expect any less from you? I think not. Lol
    Thanks Mario! And you're right, they really are a big car. But there's times when I'm working on it that I tell myself it's sure nice to have a big car again. Like yesterday when I was pulling all the bellhousing bolts and I could stand beside the front tires and simply reach in with a ratchet and my hands to undo all the bolts! Or when I'm crawling around under it and there's so much room to install crossmembers, exhaust, etc.
    Sort of reminds me of the Falcon build, but I think the '39 might have even a bit more room! But the Falcon was actually a 2.25" shorter wheelbase!
    Vall

A good productive day today. Warmed up nicely to just over 60 degrees, and perfect work temperature.
    I got my ladder bar front mounts, and shackles built, then got the ladder bars welded on the axle and frame rails.

Took pictures with my phone, but flash wasn't working for some reason, so sorry for the poor quality and bad lighting.

After that I finished up the driveshaft loop and got it drilled and bolted to the frame. Then drilled and bolted the ends of the transmission mount too.

That does it for crossmembers, and just need to do the rear shocks before I paint the bottom side.
    Vall

Beautiful welds Vall. Nice burn.
    Are the ladder bar shackles moving or fixed position?
    Last edited by mmhotrod; 11-06-2019 at 11:17 PM.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Quote Originally Posted by mmhotrod View Post
    Beautiful welds Vall. Nice burn.
    Are the ladder bar shackles moving or fixed position?
    The ladder bar shackles can pivot to allow the suspension to move freely as springs compress. I've tried solid on past builds and it binds the rear travel. The rear angled shackles allow the axle to move back as the spring compresses, but still keep the pinion from torquing under launches. The top pivot is hidden behind the frame to keep the ladder bars up for better ground clearance.

Vall

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements