57 Ford Custom - Page 3
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 57 Ford Custom

Glad to see you're back on the '57 and we can see some updates! That's going to be a huge amount of work to save the body, but I think it's worth it. Not sure how I'd approach the rockers and floors myself? But my space and equipment is limited, so I'd probably choose to do it in smaller pieces.
    Your '57 actually has less rust than my '39 had when I bought it. So it's very doable with some time, and elbow grease!
    Vall

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

I'm still on the fence. The conservative side of me says to quarter the floors and replace them that way, then pay attention to the firewall.
    Nick

There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, there was never a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.

Personally think it can be done as one piece, but will require lots of internal bracing before removing the rotted metal, just to keep it from going all out of whack once you begin cutting everything out. I'd tend to want to dissect the rockers from the floor pans, and do rockers first. Then once they're in solid, see if the floor pan will go in all at once. If it's a pain to do that, then split it lengthwise down the driveline tunnel, and do it as two halves.
    Vall

Axles out in the 8.8, time to cut the perches!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200914_195927_1600142808056.jpg  
    Nick

There was never a horse that couldn't be rode, there was never a cowboy that couldn't be throwed.

One of my favorite cars, the 300s were I believe shorter than the 500 and make for a great gasser. Years ago I almost bought a left over and tired 57 300 2 door sedan with tattered lettering , rusty Cragars , but it sure looked the part . It had a 312 with dual fours but the owner had the original supercharger , I forget the name but earlier than Paxton . I crawled all around the car but it was rusted in serious areas . Sure would have looked cool to stuff in the corner as a vintage piece of art . Good luck with the build.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGasserMadness View Post
    It had a 312 with dual fours but the owner had the original supercharger , I forget the name but earlier than Paxton .
    McCullough supercharger.
    Vall

Got the perches off. Started looking for the hole for the door handle, as the last guy welded them shut. I am now covered in bondo.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200918_104620_1600455051967.jpg   20200918_105242_1600455083051.jpg  
    Nick

Made my cuts, no turning back now!!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20200918_184032_1600482643423.jpg  
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyGasserMadness View Post
    One of my favorite cars, the 300s were I believe shorter than the 500 and make for a great gasser. Years ago I almost bought a left over and tired 57 300 2 door sedan with tattered lettering , rusty Cragars , but it sure looked the part . It had a 312 with dual fours but the owner had the original supercharger , I forget the name but earlier than Paxton . I crawled all around the car but it was rusted in serious areas . Sure would have looked cool to stuff in the corner as a vintage piece of art . Good luck with the build.
    Thank you, I'm having fun.
    Nick

Anybody

else having problems opening these photos? When I click on the photo it just continues to buffer and never loads. In order to view it I have to open it in a different window.
    Steve Hidden Content MOB in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements