Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Gasser floor boards no carpet. What did you use?

14K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Warlock 
#1 ·
I don't plan to use carpet in my falcon. Any of you guys go this route? If so , what did you use? Got pics? I'm thinking of bedliner but not sure. Thanks. RS59

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah. Hopefully double duty. It's got some very heavy factory undercoating on the inside of the floor boards. So painting these is a no go without a ton of nasty work. I've seen some Bedliner materials that are smoother finish than others. Maybe carpet would be better. I'm just not sure what is best.

#4 ·
I used Duplicolor rattle can bed liner over self-etching primer in my '36 Ford pickup (a rat rod to most people). It cleans up decent with lemon Pledge but has worn through where my right heel always rests after 18,000 miles. I'm not sure if I'll do the same with my Henry J or use some kind or lightweight carpet.

#7 ·
Make sure you drive it awhile before you make your decision! I ran both of my cars through the summer the first year I finished them with just black painted metal floors, and then decided what I wanted based on how warm it got inside. In the Austin I found some heat radiating off the firewall, and I ended up putting sound deadener/insulation, plus carpet and a false interior firewall to stop the heat inside.
In the Falcon I didn't even make it through summer, as the heat from the firewall was pretty warm, and needed to cut it down to drive in the summer! I put the same foil backed insulation down, and it really cut the heat! Still haven't done anything more than the insulation, but plan on carpeting it sometime.

#9 ·
we painted the floors in the comet gasser we built used a thick industrial satin black sprayed it through a primer gun. their was a little scuffing by the gas and clutch pedals but not bad. I am thinking about putting carpet or a rubber floor mat in my bronco, I think it looks cleaner, but that's me.

#10 ·
I'm not so sure how helpful this is, because it's not what I've "used" but what I'm planning on using...
I've got a few quarts of Zolatone 20 series. (Greystone to be exact) It's a very good quality spatter paint. They also offer a "quick step catalyst" that can be used with it to make it more durable and additional chemical resistance.
So I'm going to use that on my trunk, and interior floor. I can't say exactly how durable it will be but should be fine. I am planning on a floor mat that can snap onto the floor covering just the heel/ foot area to keep the floor paint intact.

#11 ·
Just depends on how fancy you want to get. I only have aluminized heat shielding taped in with paper thin floor mats to prevent tearing. As you can see my foot rests on the tunnel where the gas pedal is so I don't worry about heal tears. Wouldn't be suitable for a show car.

Attachments

#15 ·
I'm going to buy a can of spray bed liner paint to do the side tubes on my 6 point rollcage. The area beside my seats gets abuse from harnesses, and me getting in and out. I'm constantly repainting it, and I figured bedliner would hold up a lot longer, and save me maintenance.

#16 ·
Wow that's a sweet ride for sure! I'm brand new to gassers as far as owning one, seeing yours puts a big smile on my face!

This is the stuff on my floor, don't know what its called. I was told it was fire resistant, "not fire proof" though. And it was ok for keeping under car heat out and as well sound deadening.

I think it fails at sound deadening.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.