Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Welding Helmets

4K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  vht 
#1 ·
Thought I'd share this so maybe it'll help someone else. I got to where I couldn't see at all while welding. I tried a couple helmets, even went to Harbor Freight and bought their best one and went up to a 3.5 cheater lense with the same results. A friend of mine got me a deal on a used Jackson helmet so I stuck a 1.5 cheater in it and tried it out. It's night and day difference, I can weld on the bottom of something or at any angle. I was about to throw in the towel on welding and I didn't expect much with this helmet so I had to eat my words. I see them on ebay used and they aren't cheap but I'm sure glad I got this one.

#3 ·
[QUOTE Still can't weld but I can see how bad I'm doing.[/QUOTE]

DITTO LOL!!

#5 ·
Thanks for posting that info. I started with a harbor freight auto helmet cause money was tight. Then I had some eye problems. The old sand in the eyes feeling after the day was done. After talking to my wife we came to a conclusion that you get one set of eyes so I went and got a miller on the credit card. Loved it ever since. I still can't weld. Lol

#7 ·
I started with a HF auto darkening helmet and really liked it. But a friend gave me a brand new Speedglass he won at a car show, so I gave the HF to my son in law. I've never been able to see as good with the Speedglass as I did with the HF helmet. I wear my reading glasses under it, and use a light that Mario gave me, and both help a lot. But I wish I had the HF helmet back!

#10 ·
Vall Im telling you once you go with a newer Miller or Lincoln auto darkening your clarity will be remarkable. I love my miller helmet. Its 10 years worn out a bit so sometimes it needs to be tested on and off but I'd buy another again.
OCC used to use that helmet back on the show about 10 years ago. candy apple red with flames on it.

#8 ·
Me too

I forgot to mention that like Vall I wear my readers under the mask and recently purchased a small LED light that's made to attach to the front of the gun; hey, every little bit helps.

#9 ·
Yes it does look blue when you are welding. Val, I got a HF helmet you could have, I can't see crap with it. I went up to a 3.5 cheater and tried reading glasses. You can look at my welds before and after and it's crazy.. I don't claim to be a good welder but at least I'll save on grinder wheels now. Ole Blue, that's some funny $hit.

#12 ·
That sounds way too cheap. Something must be wrong. I paid 275 for mine from welding supply. I know it was a premium but 30 sounds wrong.

#15 ·
Do a search on used welding helmets, that way you can see them all. I got the front end off my car so I can do some bracing and finish work. Got under it yesterday and done some welding, no problem seeing. Coming from someone that screwed around and bought several helmets I couldn't see out of, buy a good one. That Speed Glass will bring good money on ebay, I bid on a few and they went higher than I wanted to give.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.