'35 Plymouth coupe - Page 3
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: '35 Plymouth coupe

Here's what the '36 frame horns looked like originally. Not very pretty for a fenderless car.

There's a bunch of that X member in the middle that's going to need to be reworked! Not sure that trans tunnel will work and allow servicing the 4 speed either, as it might require pulling the engine/trans if it's trapped in there. So we may end up removing the whole X member and replacing it with round tube framework to make it cleaner, and easier to build around.
    Vall

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

I absolutely love the car in the video; especially the body, just the right amount of patina.
    Vall, you mentioned that your friend wants to go with wider front tires. Do you mean wider than the ones on the car in the video or wider than what he has now.
    Steve Hidden Content in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

Quote Originally Posted by sbauman2 View Post
    I absolutely love the car in the video; especially the body, just the right amount of patina.
    Vall, you mentioned that your friend wants to go with wider front tires. Do you mean wider than the ones on the car in the video or wider than what he has now.
    No, the narrow 4" Cragars and tires we have on it now will be what he's running. I mentioned the coupe in the video has wider tires, but his wont. We like the skinnies up front!
    Vall

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

We spent another day on the '36 Plymouth, but at the end of the day it didn't look much different! We got the frame bushed for the rear mounts on the hairpins, and got the panhard bar cut to length and a frame mount built for that also. Mike got his upper shock mounts to weld to the frame, but they need reworking to make them fit. Did some layout of the rear axle and head scratching on how to cut and box the frame to clear the rear hairpins/ladder bars. I did talk him into going coilovers in the back also, so that made me happy!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0311.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	142.8 KB 
ID:	89154

The little panhard bar, and the donor chrome brackets I hacked off another project.

Name:	IMG_0312.JPG 
Views:	19 
Size:	139.3 KB 
ID:	89162

Name:	IMG_0313.JPG 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	89170

Name:	IMG_0314.JPG 
Size:	150.6 KB 
ID:	89178

The rear ladder bars.

Name:	IMG_0315.JPG 
Views:	21 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	89186
    Vall

Been back on my buddy's '35 Plymouth coupe in the last couple weeks. We've made good progress, and a couple significant forward steps. Last week I got the motor and trans mounts built for the SBC and Super T10. He had an old engine and 4 speed to use for mockup, so we have them sitting in the frame last week.
    Yesterday I got the 8.8 Ford 4.10 posi located, and the pinion angle set, so I could mock up the ladder bar and coilover shocks. Got the brackets tacked to the axle, and the front mounts built to attach the heim joints for the front of the ladder bars.
    Once the rear axle was located we stopped, and decided it was time to remove the body so we could finish the upper shock mounts, and panhard bar. Just too difficult doing it all from under the car. To our surprise the body bolts had numerous heads snapped off, and others appeared to be missing. I put a jack and a wood block under the body, and after raising it a bit we saw the body pop loose from the frame! Someone had already removed every bolt, or snapped them off. So the body removal was an easy task to that point. We rigged two hoists through the rafters at the back of his garage, and raised the body as high as possible. Still not enough clearance, so we dropped the frame down off blocks, and directly on a pair of dollies to let is roll forward.
    Next week we'll get the rear axle back under the car for the 3rd time, and then build up the panhard bar, and upper shock mounts for the coilovers. After that we can locate the Vega box and complete steering to the box.
    Try to get more pictures next week also, so it wont just be talking about it here.
    Vall

Oh! You mean the "Graffiti" '55.
    Hidden Content I have no extra cigarettes, money, beer or pot. But I do have extra bullits. Scott

According to "Posies" Don't use "hairpins" on tube axles.
    Hidden Content I have no extra cigarettes, money, beer or pot. But I do have extra bullits. Scott

Quote Originally Posted by manicmechanic View Post
    Oh! You mean the "Graffiti" '55.
    ????????? Not sure what that has to do with the coupe? Went over my head.
    Vall

Car is so cool for gasser style. Love the body style. I think cleanly removing the x frame and round tube replacement is a good idea. I used 2x4 tubing but I wish I used the round tube being I had purchased the tube bender. Anyway water under that bridge. Great job guys. Don't forget emergency brake lever placement during the frame build so you might retain stock position by the center dash. I love that look.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Vall

Scott might be referring to the same car being used in both movies. At least I remember reading the same 55 was used in both movies with modifications for the time period.
    Steve Hidden Content in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

13. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements