'35 Plymouth coupe - Page 16
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Thread: '35 Plymouth coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Road Angels View Post
    Damn those are some big weenie's...The fenders to me...for what it is worth look to narrow with that much tire sticking out, but some times pictures do no do justice compared to seeing in person...due to different angle aspects....
    Yeah, I agree. Mike narrowed the fenders a little over 2" to ensure lots of tire would hang out. I'd probably gone the other way and widened them 2"-3" to have 5" more inches of tire covered. But his theory was just enough fender to hide the side view that he felt was ugly, but not hide the tires.
    I'm looking forward to seeing the skinny Cragars on the front, as I think it will be a more dramatic contrast to those 12" pie crust slicks in the rear. We actually raised the rear 3" just putting the slicks on, and then cranked the coilovers up another inch also. So it's 4" higher in back than it was. It just sat way too level before, and needed more attitude, so the lift in the back of shocks and tires helped it a lot. Plus it's got 4"-5" of ground clearance now, which will make it more driveable.
    Vall

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

That 35 looks cool with or without fenders. I pieced 2 trailer fenders from northern tool to make my coupe fenders cause I had a real hard time locating a replacement after my accident. I wouldn't cut my fenders for any tires to fit on there. They do make fiberglass fenders too which could be an easy sacrifice for big tires.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

No big loss cutting the fenders Mario. One is a correct '35, while his other is an incorrect '36. So one has the 1.25" step along the opening for the body line, but the other is smooth and plain. So need to remove the step off the .35 anyway. And both had rot around the taillamp mounting point, and also had a bunch of holes cut to mount old VW taillamps on the fenders. And we've already cut them, so no going back now.
    Vall

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Well it's changing for sure now! After working over the fenders last week, and getting the '35 ready to be a fendered coupe; Mike decided he's going fenderless! So he's ordering new wheels with more backspacing to get the tires closer into the body, and will change them out.
    So now we need to get the inner wheelwells cleaned up better, and looking presentable for the fenderless look.

Today we spent 4 hours chopping all the weird seat mounting off his buckets, and welding up new mounting brackets to get all 4 points on the same level plane. Then we mocked up the steering column to determine how long a drop is needed to make it work with his seating position.
    We also discovered the brake/clutch pedals are too far back. So we marked them and will cut off the pedal mounts and weld them back after we remove 3" of arm. Wont change the leverage they have, as they're a "C" shape arm, so it will still be the same distance to the pivot point, and just better angle to his seating position.
    Also discovered the '35 Coupe's package shelf behind the seats is too wide. Can't lean the seats back enough. It's about 18" wide, so we're going to trim about 6" off it, and weld a new edge on. That will give plenty of seat adjustment to be comfortable.
    Amazing how things change as you add more pieces to the puzzle!
    Vall

HHHhhmmm... wasn't there a poster here that said something about going fender less..............lol...seating position is really a tough one to figure out till things get going on other components...sound like you got a handle on it...
    Lash

Quote Originally Posted by Road Angels View Post
    HHHhhmmm... wasn't there a poster here that said something about going fender less..............lol...seating position is really a tough one to figure out till things get going on other components...sound like you got a handle on it...
    Iw as on board with you Lash, but Mike thought he wanted fenders. Then after looking at how much tire stuck out he decided that it looked better before we put the fenders on it. I thought it needed the rear axle narrowed if he was going to run fenders, as I felt more than a couple inches was too much tire showing.
    So he finally admitted it was better looking without fenders. But he also said he's having the fenders painted at the same time as the car, just in case he changes his mind.
    Vall

He could also do some hella bobbed trailer fenders...but would have to be wide ...and there maybe a problem with them cracking...but being flexible making it changeable is cool and maybe with the more inset wheels may look good
    Lash

I think the width and offset of these wheels and tires make it less appealing to me. He's going to 10" wide from these 12", and more backspace. So I think that will help regardless of whether he runs fenders or not.
    Vall

11. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements