'35 Plymouth coupe
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: '35 Plymouth coupe

'35 Plymouth coupe

Thought I'd post some images of the project I've been helping my buddy build. It's a 1935 Plymouth coupe, and will have a 383 SBC stroker motor, with Super T10 4 speed, and a 4:56 posi 8.8" ford rear axle.
    He wants the coupe to be a street legal altered coupe, so it wont have any front sheet metal, except for a chrome grille. The rear fenders will be narrowed 2" to get them closer to the body, and radiused to accept 12"x15"x32" tall pie crust cheater slicks.
    This chrome tube axle was a transverse spring, but he wanted it low, so we made up new hairpin brackets and I had a young welder do the chrome moly weld to mount them on the axle after I located and tacked them. He did some gorgeous welds! Old brackets will be removed and coilover shock brackets aren't on the frame yet. The old spring brackets will be modified to bolt the bottom of the shocks to the axle.
    We also chopped the ugly frame horns off the Plymouth frame, and fabricated '32 Ford frame horns, and boxed them in. Then added a new crossmember, and boxed that in also. The wheels are 4"x15" Cragar SS, with MT front runners. Rear wheels will be 12" Cragars.
    Here's the images:

Vall

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Thats gonna be a sweet Rod. I like the suspension already.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Thanks Mario. He found the whole front axle assembly along with a '55-'64 Chevy chrome rear axle, and a set of old Airheart disc brakes at a swap meet last Nov. for $1,000. Sold the rear axle for a couple hundred, and the Airheart brakes for $450, and ordered GM disc brake kits for the Ford spindles.
    He wants to use the chrome transverse spring in the rear, but I'm trying to talk him out of it, as it wont show anyway, and way too much work to install.
    Vall

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

I hope he listens to you Vall. I've always liked the way a hair pin/radius rod front end looks.
    Steve Hidden Content in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

I am not a fan of transverse in the back. Just something about that doesn’t sit well with me as far as the body rolling at the back like a front end. Hey what do I know, I’m no engineer.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................

Well if I can't talk him out of it, I can simply not do the work! He wont do it if I don't agree to do the fabrication, so I do have some leverage. I wanted to go hairpins with coilovers in the rear too. He wants to use the hairpins, but with transverse spring. He has the hairpins for the rear already, as this all came together in his swap meet purchase. I think he's not too keen on buying 4 coilover shocks, but probably going to end up there anyway. I hate transverse spring rears, especially on a fast car that's a bit more top heavy than early Ford.
    Vall

Rear end wont matter if he does not want to channel the body down on the frame and or chop the top to give it a lower look...other wise it will just look like an early dirt track race car...can not tell by the pics as to what is going on with it so far...i looked at a 57 chev that has a straight axle with coil overs and hair pins....I was going to do that type for my own project now after seeing it I am glad I did not do it and went old school....it just does not look right...damn I need to hit some swap meets
    Lash

It wont need to be channeled to bring it lowered Lash. It will easily sit low enough without channeling the body. The front of those frame horns are less than 8" now, and much lower they'd start dragging on driveways. Here's a video of a similar coupe done as my buddy wants to do his. Fatter front tires, and he's using the factory '35 grille surround, where Mike will be using an earlier Mopar grille that's not as tall. Mike's will also get typical outside the frame headers, or possibly zoomies. He hasn't decided which yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PFVQf6Tijg
    Vall

Quote Originally Posted by Road Angels View Post
    looked at a 57 chev that has a straight axle with coil overs and hair pins....I was going to do that type for my own project now after seeing it I am glad I did not do it and went old school....it just does not look right...damn I need to hit some swap meets
    Coilovers with a straight axle aren't "traditional", but that's the setup the 2 Lane Blacktop '55 Chevy uses, and it allows straight axle cars to sit lower. Butt since your truck isn't traditional anyway, you're not constrained by any traditional parameters anyway.

Vall

Absolutely love the 35 3 window. I'm in love. Sexy lines.
    Mario

13. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements