Master cutoff switch - Page 3
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Master cutoff switch

Hi guys, and again, thanks very much for the good information. As I'm also unconcerned about NHRA legal, it sounds as if I need to change wiring on my cutoff switch. Is there a simple way to do this? I posted how I have mine hooked up, but going to the negative is a mystery to me. If that would safely disable the alternator circuit I think that would be great. Otherwise, I may just put another cutoff switch on my negative ground cable. That seems redundant if I could do it with the one cutoff switch. Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks again, Rod

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

I have mine on the negative battery terminal and the other end goes to the frame bolted to make a secure connection. Any frame section wiil work. Just be sure the body has a good ground to the frame as well. I use a short cable from body to frame and another cable from motor to body. GM used to use a braided wire off the back of the block to the firewall. Keeps all grounded for less electrical issues. Anyone got something to add. Please do.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Hi Mario, and thanks. that sounds like a plan. I'm curious to see if anyone else chimes in. Thanks again, Rod

both of my cutoff switches are located inside the passenger compartment on the floor. Both on the passenger side, but close enough for me to reach over and turn them off. I use them for security purposes, so someone wont hotwire my cars and steal them. I have a relay that drops out the alternator lead so it wont allow the alternator to keep feeding the power once the battery is disconnected

Vall's idea of using a relay to cut off the alternator is valid. Just wire it so that when master switch is on, it completes the circuit from the alternator. Once that master switch is off, the relay opens and stops the feedback. Bosch makes the best relays out there and up to 40 or 50 amps as well. Relays are really fun little switches. If you are working on a buddy's car you can wire up a relay to honk the horn when they use a blinker and all kinds of mischief.
    Last edited by dsb; 07-18-2018 at 10:10 AM. Reason: added some tidbits
    Dave

I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am!

I would go with Vall's idea. I don't know about current rules but NHRA wouldn't let you use a relay on the alt at one time. Tell me how much sense that makes. It's about like the trans cases you had to have recertafied every 5 yrs, belts every 2 yrs. $$$$$

8. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements