Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1935 Chevy Gasser

63K views 745 replies 20 participants last post by  mmhotrod 
#1 ·
1935 Chevy Standard Series Coupe.

This is a project that is a work in progress. Became road worthy 2010. Project took from 2002 to 2010 to get on the road.

Hanging saturday night with another gasser buddy.

Attachments

See less See more
#364 ·
I took the time to change up the bolt procedure on my seat installation. I used two 3/8 arp bellhousing studs at the back of the seat track with 3/16 plate as an anchor or washer. I had to cut the slot in the seat track so I can do the slide. So now I can slide the back in first under the plate washers and put the front bolts in while still loose at the back. Studs use a 12 pt nut that uses a 7/16 wrench. Makes more room but I still had to grind an old wrench to go over the top on one stud. But all in all it’s so much easier now to unbolt it all.

Wood Asphalt Gas Automotive exterior Bumper
Wood Asphalt Line Flooring Road surface

#365 ·
After I got the seat back in I was pretty happy so I started cleaning up the car. I get to the engine and I’m wiping dust off the bug catcher and it moved. It was loose so I lifted it and the back came way up. The only way that could happen is if the wing nut was gone. My heart just sank. I pulled off the whole assembly and I was afraid to find what might have happened. I frantically looked for the wing but all over the air cleaner base. When I took off the air cleaner there it was. Sitting and waiting to grenade my motor. I learned something very important tonight. Never ever use a 7/16 nut for your carb stud. If that was a nut it would have swallowed the nut and done some real damage.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

#369 ·
I think it bounced around for so long that it tore up the gasket and sucked it in. The rest of it fell off on the out side.

#368 ·
I now fully agree with you on the loctite. When it comes off again I will use the nylons over the wing nuts.

#370 ·
I also do as Steve said and use nylock nuts at the base of the 1/4" stud to lock it to the carb. If the stud does work loose, it wont ever allow the nut to get off the stud.
Those base plates for the bug catcher scoops are never done well. They need to roll the edge flatter so it doesn't dig into the carb gasket. Everything I've ever owned had the gasket chewed up, even if it didn't work loose.
I'd love to find one of the old style with the cast aluminum bases! They were very high quality, and I'd swap the stamped sheet metal bases I have on my Austin out if I found them.

#371 ·
On all of my previous carbs I never used a lock nut on the stud at the carb base but all my air cleaners wing nuts would fall off outside the carb area if they did. I gotta take this bug catcher back off again and seal the deal. This setup was the only one I added lock nuts to the studs. Not sure if they gave them to me like that or I added them on myself. Anyway they are coming off.

#372 ·
This 3 day weekend I promised myself to do some more work on the door panels being Vall has been running circles around all of us lately. Don't tell him but he has given me some ideas and incentive to try this cause Im no interior guy. Finishing is not my forte.
Its humid and 84 so Im already dripping wet. I went to buy the Eucatyle board at home depot Friday am and they didn't know they even had it on hand. online showed 47 sheets and they didn't even know what it was. I found it at isle 28 bin #2 like it said on the online info. only 3 messed up sheets there but i found the other 44 sheets in lumber on another skid. No thanks to Home Depot. Any way I started to map things out. Then I found I needed some fixes before I could make door panel. Nothing like reaching for the old gorilla glue and its half way cured. Never lasts too long after opening. I will buy small bottles from now on.
Set screw was stripped long time ago and I must have cut a slot to use a straight driver so I could remove it. thank you mister mario for thinking ahead.

Wood Rectangle Tire Table Flooring
Food Hand tool Fluid Ingredient Tool
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Circle Rim
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Bicycle wheel

#373 ·
Looks like you must have custom handles Mario? Those are adapters aren't they? My Home Depot didn't even have the Eucatyle board, and had to drive to the next city West of us to get it.
My lack of finishing cars leans towards the body and paint work I hate doing. Now that my '39 is out in the sun I see all sorts of spots I need to attend to.

#374 · (Edited)
But that's great. You don't rush the finishing and you will see more and more imperfections till you're happy with it. Aren't you glad you didn't go right to paint yet? Its inconvenient but a saving grace too. your car will look great when youre done.

I just bought some original handles on ebay this morning. im not putting those cal customs back on the door.

#375 ·
If your originals have any issues with stuck knobs, United Pacific sells repair kits pretty cheap. Wish I'd known you needed originals as I could have checked with Joe at Old Car Parts here to see what he had in good used originals. He always treats me well on pricing since I've bought there since 1968.

#377 ·
I'm a little confused by the last photo. Did you sneeze and that's a photo of a booger hanging on the door??????????LOL:eek:
No It landed on my shirt and i wiped it on the door. LOL that stuff dries like a rock. its great. I fixed a lot of wood on that car like that.

#378 · (Edited)
Well I was able to work out the set screw after I left that cut running thru it for a straight driver removal. I then pulled out the top access board to get to the wood screw holes so i can put some gorilla glue, snot for some of you reading, and make a tight fit for the wood screws going back in. I made a card board template and used a sharpie to mark the back of the card board. I mapped out the screw holes so they all go into the wood. Evenly spaced till I need to use more once I mount it with the diamond material. I noticed the corners need to me added to go up the frame at the back and dead end at the front of the door. I may do that on the bench with a small add on to the main board as a patch. Im having photo issues

Automotive tire Rim Wheel Automotive wheel system Circle
Motor vehicle Bumper Wood Automotive exterior Gas
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Tire
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Trunk Wood Vehicle door
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive tire Wood

#379 ·
I just wanted to show the door frame area and the corners as to how the panel cover will run up the door back and around to the top and end. I so regret throwing away the old interior that was done back in the 70's. I did mount the driver side board to see how it fits. I cut the same piece and it fit perfectly on the passenger side. Those old school car factory assembly line wood workers were real craftsman. Everything on the car was mirrored left to right.

Automotive tire Wood Tire Motor vehicle Rim
Automotive tire Wood Motor vehicle Hood Bumper
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Hood Automotive tire Fender

#381 · (Edited)
I have been thinking about my graphics on the coupe and I came up with the name Flew The Coupe or Coop. I finally got a minute to myself today and came up with this. What do you think if I put this on my trunk?
I was thinking of a vehicle wrap and if they do clear background even better.
Bird Font Wood Design Advertising

actually I tried it in a photo and it looks horrible.
Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Plant Wheel

#382 ·
Like the image for the trunk Mario, and the "coupe" version makes more sense.
A vehicle wrap? Like in wrapping the whole car? I thought the coupe looked beautiful in it's present condition? Is there a reason you'd wrap it, vs. having them just make a vinyl applied version of your image for the trunk?

#383 ·
Nah, Im not gonna do it. check out the edit photo I posted.

#385 ·
I was thinking of wrapping just the trunk. But I’m not gonna do it.

#387 ·
I came up with this for a possibility on the side of the car.

Automotive tire Font Rectangle Musical instrument Circle

#388 ·
Mario I mean this in the nicest way.... on a 50's car ok but on a classic like yours....a big not...contours of the body all wrong for a square graphic...also simple is the key...with minimal colors....hey you rebuilt the car....so its a ...Re-coupe..... or recouped .....lol...arched letters with a big dollar sign under the letters ($)...I should have named mine ... Cause for Divorce...lol...hang in there you will get it

#389 ·
I totally understand what you mean. I’m gonna try placing it on a pic of the car. I didn’t get a chance to give it a wave today. Maybe tomorrow.

#390 · (Edited)
I was looking thru some old photos of the coupe from when i first bought the car. I found the interior pic with a little munchkin in there. Luke I am your father, it is your destiny! LOL
Hey Vall if you notice they finished the side panels at the door with lacing. JC Whitney no longer sells it. I priced the 1/2 inch wide covering 1/4 thick gap at 100 ft roll on Amazon and its 100 bucks.
Way more than I need. I need to hunt down a 25 ft roll.
I wish I still had those seats. I sold them at a flea market. Brainless I am.
Window Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Fixture

#393 ·
I was looking thru some old photos of the coupe from when i first bought the car. I found the interior pic with a little munchkin in there. Luke I am your father, it is your destiny! LOL
Hey Vall if you notice they finished the side panels at the door with lacing. JC Whitney no longer sells it. I priced the 1/2 inch wide covering 1/4 thick gap at 100 ft roll on Amazon and its 100 bucks.
Way more than I need. I need to hunt down a 25 ft roll.
I wish I still had those seats. I sold them at a flea market. Brainless I am.
View attachment 103361
Those look like old Fairlane bucket seats from the late 60's Mario. Very expensive if found today. Even if the upholstery is crap they can still go $500 a pair.

I just ordered windlace to put in my '39 Mario. Found black windlace on Fleabay for $2.99 a foot.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/STITCHED-C...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

#394 · (Edited)
Finally cleaned up my wheelie bars so today was warm enough to put them back on and enjoy the weather too. The pic makes the wheels look like they are on the ground but they aren’t. They’re about 6-8 inches off the ground so they should clear most situations.

Attachments

#396 ·
after you got them looking so good where's the photo of you testing them out to make sure they still work??????????????????????????
I was so close to going for a ride. The car was real dirty from my son doing polishing on the vette and whatever else was going on in there. I just need to do the door panels and fix the gas pedal so the pedal don’t slide over the rod bell crank setup.