1935 Chevy Gasser - Page 31
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 31 of 40 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: 1935 Chevy Gasser

I got back at it tonight. Im moving real slow. But Im moving. I moved the rear on to the jack stands by myself I might add. I pulled the cover and unbolted the c-clip eliminators. Letting the grease drain real good and Picking up the carrier removal tomorrow. The carrier is a Moroso Brute strength unit. Good for 557 to 456 without an issue. I dug out my pinon flange hold down tool to break the nut loose. I gotta say I used it a bunch of times and it was free and free is for me.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_4964.jpg   IMG_4963.jpg   IMG_4962.jpg   IMG_4961.jpg  
    Last edited by mmhotrod; 02-11-2020 at 08:39 PM.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

I moved the rear on to the jack stands by myself I might add.....Dont bust a nut...you only got one pair...you do not want the Asian name of.... One Nut Low
    Lash...Washington Chapter and Member...Mean Old Bastards Club

With the reports I see of cold weather around your area Mario it's good to see you can still get to the garage to work on the '35! Hope it goes well for you! Call your son for some help if needed! Don't be like me and get a hernia. I've had one fixed about 6 years ago, and need to get another done soon!
    Vall

I pulled out the 557 carrier and gears. Pulled all the bearings and installed the temporary pinion to check clearances and the ring gear is right up against the pinion with no adjustment. I was told could use the 456 gears on this carrier but now Im wondering if the part number is different to accommodate the spacing of the moroso 4-5-6 series carrier, which would mean I need to buy a set of gears now. I thought why not leave well enough alone and use the old factory carrier and i saw the clutch springs comparison and said I don't know if I want that old carrier in there. Limited slip is just that. Limited slip. I am waiting for a tech support call with richmond gear to find out what gear I need for that carrier. Take a look at this pic and see the difference. Im not racing any time in the immediate future but when i do go, I want both wheels turning my burnout.
    I just found out the part number is EATON not moroso. but its still a 4 series carrier so now Im confused.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 12.57.01 PM.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	66.3 KB 
ID:	102323
    Last edited by mmhotrod; 02-22-2020 at 01:31 PM.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................

Sounds like one of those times when they don't tell the whole story. Might fit 4.56 gears, but might also require a special gear set to accommodate fitting that carrier? It's rarely as simple as bolting it all together is it?
    Vall

yeah, but it does say Eaton 4 series carrier at summit. I wonder If I bought a 456 set for a 3 series carrier so its thicker width wise. I have to check the old carrier part number or find my original part number 8620 on the ring gear.
    Mario

Now I think I know what's going on. I have a 3 series factory carrier with 456 gears made wider to accomodate the space. I found the part number on Richmond's site.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 1.45.59 PM.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	39.4 KB 
ID:	102327

this is more or less what I need for the 4 series carrier.

Name:	Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 1.53.57 PM.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	102329
    Last edited by mmhotrod; 02-22-2020 at 01:54 PM.
    Mario

Mario

Way back when I was dealing with my first Eaton (a gear swap from 3:73 to 4:56 with a 4 series carrier) I made a stupid mistake. I was putting the first axle back in and was turning it as I was trying to get the splines to align and ended up walking the spider gears out and then the whole posi spring/clutch pack popped out. I didn't know what the hell to do so I pulled the carrier out and took it to the go to rear end guy. As he was reassembling it he made a couple changes after asking me a couple questions about the car. He asked the weight which I didn't know but told him it a was 64 Chevelle SS hard top. He already saw from the ring gear that I was running 4:56 gears but he asked about the clutch rating (a Weber 3,000 lb over kill pressure plate), horse power, trans (a Muncie with a 2:20 low gear) and tire size, I was running 10" Goodyear Blue Streak slicks (not cheaters) on the car. What he ended up doing was substituting the thicker side gear and spider gear conical thrust bushings for skinner ones that enabled him to install additional clutch plates and also shit canned the old springs and used some heavier ones. He also told me to forget about using Lakewood or other after market posi lube and instead use the Ford brand posi fluid to avoid clutch chatter on turns. When ever I did a burn out or street raced there was never a problem with the burn out marks, they were always equal side for side and also straight.
    Steve Hidden Content MOB in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

When I did the upgrade on the axles to the Eaton carrier i bet they were 30 spline. And I bet the factory carrier has the 29 spline gears in it. So much crap in one sitting. I may just buy the 200 dollar gears and get over it. Amazon is free shipping for me right now. I would have to either find my old axles upstairs in car heaven or pull the gears our and check there. I guess I could also fit the new axles into the old carrier. If they go into the gear then 30 on 30 means I can use the factory carrier. I think I will give that a quick check as a last resort.
    thanks for suggestions. I gotta find someone who sells upgrade springs and clutches.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Screen Shot 2020-02-22 at 2.11.52 PM.jpg  
    Mario

Mario take the time to dig out every thing you have and go from there.......nothing worse than ordering a bunch of parts and finding out later that you had what you needed all along....thats how parts collections start...summer is still far off
    Lash...Washington Chapter and Member...Mean Old Bastards Club

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements