1935 Chevy Gasser - Page 36
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 36 of 38 FirstFirst ... 263435363738 LastLast

Thread: 1935 Chevy Gasser

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    Might consider a momentary contact switch on your gear shift like a line lock, and simply touch the button to engage kickdown?
    American Autowire sells one that mounts directly to the carb and is a simple solution, but not hidden.

https://www.jegs.com/i/American+Auto...SABEgKQzPD_BwE
    I already have one on the shifter so I’m opting to go to the carb. Thanks for your input.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

I just ordered the switch Mentioned in the Article from Amazon with free shipping. I know I have relays up in the garage in my wiring box of stuff. Next weeks project.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................

Well I got all the wiring goods. HF for the wire loom. I went up into the attic and got my wire and relay stuff. So I’m all ready to go.
    I bought the switch that was mentioned in the article on the kickdown switch funtion on the 400 turbo. I posted that here too. Its a nitrous throttle switch.
    And I can’t upload pics from my phone with chrome. I don’t know anymore.
    lets try again on my computer

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5258.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	103137Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5257.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	78.9 KB 
ID:	103135
    Last edited by mmhotrod; 06-18-2020 at 06:55 AM.
    Mario

I started running the trans wire first and got in the cab. Next I started to run the wire for the NOS switch but I wasn't sure where it would go as to where the wire would need to be run. So I started looking at the carb and linkage and for the life of me I couldn't find a good spot up on the carbs. The sideways linkage gets in the way of any mounting spot. Then it hit me. Down on the manifold where the linkage bellcrank starts is a spot that might work and there is a throttle spring bracket in the spot to bolt to. And it worked out pretty good. Then I ran all the wires to the relay. I haven't hooked anything up yet as to wiring. God knows 8 years ago I could squeeze under there to look at everything. What the heck happened to me.

Attachment 103143Attachment 103141Attachment 103139
    Mario

My old Suburban has never had a kickdown switch either. Something I always figured I'd do, but seems fun stuff always takes priority over it. So I still just pull it down to 2nd manually when I want to pass, or have it kickdown.
    Vall

My old Suburban has never had a kickdown switch either. Something I always figured I'd do, but seems fun stuff always takes priority over it. So I still just pull it down to 2nd manually when I want to pass, or have it kickdown.
    the article Steve posted mentioned that at certain speeds and demand the clutches don't get enough hydraulic pressure unless you have connected
    Mario

Yeah, but my old Suburban never sees WOT! lol If it did, I'm probably not driving it.
    Vall

Yeah, but my old Suburban never sees WOT! lol If it did, I'm probably not driving it.
    I just called Hughes Transmissions which is what I have and they said only Suburban’s need the kickdown Lol. No I’m kidding.
    lt was as You stated. No need unless you’re wide open. Which works for me.
    Mario

So I pulled the driver seat. What a pain. I can’t believe I put them in with bolts that can only quarter turn in a 1-1/2 “ box tube all 4 corners no less. I must have been delirious. Now I can lay in the car and use my flippers to go through the wiring. God knows what’s what under there. I had 3 extra relays already in position so I didn’t have to find a home for a new one. Plan for the future I always say. I figured out the relay negative trigger wiring and got the circuit working. I went out by the carbs and moved the linkage by hand with the test light on the trans wire it lit up wide open. I got in the car and checked it with my foot pedal and it didn’t light up. My son Mike said hey dad you got about a half inch more before it hits the switch. You know what? I never had dual carbs wide open. Looks like I was 3/4 throttle at Beaver Springs Drags.
    I guess that’s good news. Now I have to tuck away the wires and find a better config to get wide open off the original bell crank. It’s been sweltering humid weather here so I’m slow about getting out there again. But soon.
    Mario

Hey Mario

if you have Mr. Gasket type bell crank with several holes drilled in each arm hopefully you just need to switch holes to change the ratio of the arms. I had the same problem on my 53 and that did the trick.
    Steve Hidden Content in sunny So Cal
    "and the beat goes on....................."

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements