Gasser HotRod Forums banner

1935 Chevy Gasser

63K views 745 replies 20 participants last post by  mmhotrod 
#1 ·
1935 Chevy Standard Series Coupe.

This is a project that is a work in progress. Became road worthy 2010. Project took from 2002 to 2010 to get on the road.

Hanging saturday night with another gasser buddy.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Vaughn the tank can be functional but it's just for show.

#3 ·
Nice, looks like a lot of attention to detail. Good things are worth waiting for eh?

#5 ·
Thanks guys but you all have cool gasser rides. I had albums on the site but had to delete them. Thought I was done here.
I put my MG away and pulled my Chevy out. I thought to myself, I must be crazy not driving this around. So now I have 2 rides that are work in progress. Well I gotta say the attention I get when I pull in the parking lot makes me so proud to say I built this. Go figure Saturday about 6 Cobras came in. I thought to myself I wish I had my MG now. Lol
Oh well. By the way an old MG cobra style body pulled in too. So cool. Wish I had that body style as a gasser.

Reactions: Birddog
#8 ·
Yeah Vall it's been a while. Almost 3 winters passed. Without going for a ride.

#9 ·
Congratulations, Mario!!! Glad to see you out in the '35! I know it holds a special place in your heart.... and rightfully so! And besides, it'll feel a lot better this fall on those clear cold evenings..... Enjoy my friend! :) :) :)

#13 · (Edited)
Yeah the video is still on my YouTube. Mmhotrod41. I am over geared for the quarter. I built the car for 100-200 ft drags being we don't have a dragstrip. But at this point we have nothing again. If I put the 456 gears back in the rear I should be into the 11's again. Thanks for the compliments.

This is the link. Go to 14:50 and thats the run against the Henry J that I cherished.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kw97us4WrKI

#11 ·
Hey Mario, How about sharing some more pictures of the car on this thread???

#12 ·
I could do a build thread abbreviated version of course.

#14 ·
Hey Mario that link was great! Cool match up between you and the Henry J!

Also that was you loading the car on the trailer later in the video, correct?

You stated " I could do a build thread abbreviated version of course." .... I think you should do one for us!

___________________________________________________________________________________

Tom

#15 · (Edited)
Well I guess this is as good a place to start as any. On the evening of September 29th 2002 I got a flat tire right before an overpass which made it too late to go off the road for cover. I had to go up the overpass hill ever so delicately due to the tire down with posi and 456 gears. It was a crawl up the bridge without tearing everything all up. I kept looking in my rear view for cars coming at me and boy was I nervous.

I finally got up on the bridge and went over to the right side on and off shoulder because I was scared to death to crawl down the bridge without getting plowed from behind. The bridge spanned over 10 lanes of roadway and I stopped the car at about lane 7 to give cars room to get on and off the roadway.

As I called my wife to pick me up I turned off the key so I could hear her better and I watched a car come up the ramp from down below the bridge and make his way around to the top and saw his headlights coming in my mirror. They just slightly slanted left and then bang, he hit me and turned me over shoving me along the pavement about 20 feet. I couldn't believe what just happened to me. My son was in the car with me and he was hanging from his lap belt in his seat above me.

I smelled gas and urged him to hurry and get out of his lap belt but I was in his way of getting out. I had to get out first and the door was pinched closed. I went through the window and my son came out right behind. I gave him the biggest hug ever and asked him if he was ok.

And this is the start of my 1935 Chevy resurrection thread.

Attachments

• Sad
#17 ·
yeah youre right. It could really have gone bad as the impact sheared the gas tank cap off and the gas just funneled out all over when we were on our side.

#20 ·
Yeah Vall. Any other night it would have been a Camry or a Nissan or a Volkswagen. Just a real fluke that a car guy hit me.

#19 ·
WOW

____________________________________________________________________________________

Tom

#21 · (Edited)
I couldn't touch the car till after all the legal stuff was done. Insurance paid me Auction value at the time of the accident which was 19K. I guess I was happy because I had stated amount of 5K on the policy to start with 12 years prior.

Stated amount policy is what saved me. Even still, I had to pay back the salvage value to keep the car. They took 3000 out of the 19 and 16 is what I had to work with. At first I thought maybe i could buy a glass willys. I went to Willys Works and came out hanging my head with and estimate for 18000, without engine trans and center section, wheels and tires and paint, and no interior. Not much of a car for 18 grand.

That was when i looked at my coupe and said why not build my 1935 chevy into a nostalgia gasser tribute car. I can allocate so much for engine and trans, so much for tools i will need, and some for the body work. Not a bad idea.
I was new to the gasser rules and nostalgia, but I was bitten by the bug.
After a year of walking in pain due to lumbar disc problems I decided it was time to start especially after I received the check to start working.
I ripped apart all I could on the back of the body and pulled the rear end out.
I started with straightening the back frame where it was buckled from the weight of the renegade Poncho. I used an I beam vertically to hold the frame down and i floor jacked the end upward tapping gently on the buckle and it went back to normal height .

Attachments

#22 · (Edited)
I drilled into my concrete floor and made anchor plates for cumalongs in a cross pattern in the garage. I did this to anchor the car down when I make a pull in any direction. I got so ambitious I started pulling. My friend Artie showed up and told me scornfully, "I told you to wait for me"........LOL He shook his head and showed me where I went wrong and corrected my pulls. Good thing he showed when he did. He is a good body guy old school metal guy. I can't thank him enough for helping me. Most body shops said to get a new glass body and scrap the old. Artie told me the old metal on the 35 was good enough to go back to its origial shape without tearing like the new metal does.
Also notice how the wood exploded around the framework from the impact. Artie told me I had to go back to the accident scene and pick up all the wood fragments I could find before the speedydry was swept up the following day by the highway department. good thing I did. I found lots of pieces to complete the puzzle.

Attachments

#23 ·
WOW, I have said that before but, WOW, I just cant imagine taking on that kind of project. I gotta give you PROPS man!

Keep the re-creation info coming, its gotta be awesome to look back and see all you accomplished especially after what happened. It had to feel so terribly bad for a long time after the collision!

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Tom

#24 ·
Well Tom, I guess I felt something that was a part of me was taken away and I was gonna fight tooth and nail to get it back.
I believed in Artie and his guidance.

#28 ·
Yup you are right. I had albums. I was gonna delete my damaged profile and then never did.
Ok so this is the first thread on the coupe.

#29 ·
The following shots will show some shape coming back as Artie guides me in some pulls. He was right that the steel will pull back out without tearing.

Attachments

#30 ·
and the last 2 pics of this series shows my hero. As I saw this coming alive I was so excited to keep working.

Attachments

#31 ·
as we pulled the quarter panel Artie relieved the stressed areas by hammer and dolly on the wrinkled areas.

Attachments

#32 ·
as we progressed in pulls the panels started to fall closer and closer into place.

Attachments