Finally got a duece... - Page 11
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Finally got a duece...

Had the too tight rocker issue on my Austin when I put together the new 4 bolt main 350 in it. Cam maker's spec was 1 to 1.5 turns after zero lash. But doing so made the engine idle fine, but all sorts of issues above idle rpm. I backed them off until the rattled, and then went to zero lash. Shut it off and added 1/4 turn preload and it ran perfect.
    Vall

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    Had the too tight rocker issue on my Austin when I put together the new 4 bolt main 350 in it. Cam maker's spec was 1 to 1.5 turns after zero lash. But doing so made the engine idle fine, but all sorts of issues above idle rpm. I backed them off until the rattled, and then went to zero lash. Shut it off and added 1/4 turn preload and it ran perfect.
    That's what my bud said. He also suggested those clips to stop the oil. I haven't had luck with those so he said to get the engine running with the valve cover just sitting on it. Lower the idle as low as it will go and keep running to reduce oil. Then pull the cover and start at the front. Loosen to rattle, then tighten to quiet, next, and next, and so on. Then shut it off. Go back and tighten each the 1/4 turn and put the cover on. Repeat for the other side. Sounds like a plan.

Mike
    Liberty, In God We Trust, E PLURIBUS UNUM

Watch it tilt! => Hidden Content
    Watch my engine => Hidden Content
    My GMC Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

I have a spare set of valve covers you can have Mike! Just cut the top out on 3 sides, but leave the exhaust side intact. Then screw them down to a piece of wood to hold the edge, and bend them open to create a splash shield. Then bolt them on your head and start the engine. The oil will hit the shield you made and drain back into the head. I sometimes tack on side shields at each end if an engine oils too profusely and splashes at the ends outside the shield.
    Just give me a call and drop by if you want them.
    Vall

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

I forgot to post the results. Yes, they were all too tight. Some by more than a turn. I should have set them after starting it up... lesson learned. Static adjustment isn't final.

Runs sooooooo good now. Very eager to leap.

So now just a few final things to tidy up and it's done. Headliner, carpet, cage, the rest of the rubber seals and a line-loc I picked up at the swap meet.

Still looking for a rear seat. Haven't found one locally and people want a lot of money for cores. Wow! May have to run without one.

Mike

My GMC Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Have you measured up the size and checked the junkyards for a possible donor seat Mike? I ended up using a Taurus folding leather seat for the back of my Falcon and it took some modification, but worked great. It also had a folding backrest, so I left it down all the time to use to toss cooler or chair on. But had the option of putting it up occasionally if someone wanted to sit in the back.
    Vall

No Vall, I haven't. Want the look of a stock seat, but I do have a back seat from a '59 Thunderbird... they look like buckets.

Mike

My GMC Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    I have a spare set of valve covers you can have Mike! Just cut the top out on 3 sides, but leave the exhaust side intact. Then screw them down to a piece of wood to hold the edge, and bend them open to create a splash shield. Then bolt them on your head and start the engine. The oil will hit the shield you made and drain back into the head. I sometimes tack on side shields at each end if an engine oils too profusely and splashes at the ends outside the shield.
    Just give me a call and drop by if you want them.
    Do you have pics of that modified valve cover? I have an extra set and this may be the ticket when I get to that point.
    Dave

I wish I was half the man my dog thinks I am!

Quote Originally Posted by dsb View Post
    Do you have pics of that modified valve cover? I have an extra set and this may be the ticket when I get to that point.
    I don't Dave, as I tossed my set long ago. Just take a parting wheel on a 4.5" angle grinder and make a cut at the top corners on each end, and then along the length on the intake side. Then bolt them on a head to hold them, and grasp the top and bend it open. When you have it straight up just stop. It will give you access to the rockers, and the open top bent back works as a splash shield to catch oil while doing a running valve adjustment.
    Vall

You can glue a set of cheap cork gaskets to them and just snug them down too. They work great.

Quote Originally Posted by vht View Post
    You can glue a set of cheap cork gaskets to them and just snug them down too. They work great.
    Yes, you better have gaskets on them, or end up with quite a mess!
    Vall

13. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements