Gasser HotRod Forums banner

TOOL - Sorta- TIP, YES!! Keep those COUPLINGS COUPLED!

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  vht 
#1 · (Edited)
Hey I did not check the forum thoroughly before posting this but I've never seen this tool/solution used for automotive applications and every single buddy that comes over asks about it and they say "never thought of that before" but good idea!

THE PROBLEM: I have damaged 3 vehicles while using an air hose and tossing around the air lines, the coupling hits the ground at "just the wrong way" and the coupling separates and one end goes flying in, WHO KNOWS WHAT DIRECTION!

SO, I ended up with a chipped chrome wheel on my then new,2010 Camaro,, THEN it was a chipped panel on my motorhome,, THEN,,, it was a GOUGE when the coupling end flew into my ALCOA aluminum rim, again on my MOTORHOME, THEN I chipped my quarterpanel on my off road Diesel Jeep Cherokee THAT HAS SCRATCHES EVERYWHERE ANYWAY, but ,,, ENOUGH!

So I feel while re-living these stories, to be a little slow on the uptake because it took 4 occurrences before I got my Arse in gear. But here is what I came up with.

THE SOLUTION: Of course I thought of duct tape, electrical tape, velcro tie wraps, rubberbands, but none of those seemed to be a lasting convenient solution.

SEE PICS: I now have used a extension cord connector/weather protector to keep my couplings, coupled! SEE PICS! I believe I found mine for about 5 bucks each, inexpensive insurance for sure!

So let me have it. Am I the only unlucky guy that has these couplings fly apart??

Am I using the wrong stuff? Or unlucky or JINX-ED, or ,,, ?????

I use the "Automotive Standard" air fittings.....Good (expensive ones) and Harbor freight couplings, does not matter they all seem to get to a point they fly apart if they hit the ground right (or just wrong).

I Hope I help keep your vintage Iron from any unnecessary damage,,, I have not had any damage for the last 2 years,, I now toss my air hoses around, stress/worry free!

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Great idea Tom. Gotta be honest with you. My couplings I've been using for years don't separate. I use A or arrow style connections since 1982. Milton brand when possible but have mixed brands but maintain the A style. I don't use the coil plastic hoses either. Not sure why yours come apart so easy.

#4 ·
When I worked at the Cadillac dealer all our air lines had a rubber bumper donut attached next to the couplings. It was there to protect the coupling and the cars from getting together. But it also kept the couplings from hitting the ground. They were two piece and had a pair of screws to clamp the hose fittings.
I've looked for them, but no luck. What I did find was Home depot has some that slip over the hose, and do the same thing.
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Powermat...gclid=CInF5a_Qv9MCFZGIaQodAkAAYw&gclsrc=aw.ds

#6 · (Edited)
I'm thinking industrial users have Milton products. The old private auto parts only carried Milton for the dealers and public. Sears started their own crap then the china knockoffs followed suit. The chain auto parts were selling the cheap crap and then Harbor freight is another one. You always could tell the difference in the Milton brand. Every time a friend would want to use something I had air fittings on they would tell me the tool wouldn't fit their craftsman stuff. Then all the cheap tool sets where coming out with the same style crap. I would never convert. Stubborn I am. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.