Gasser HotRod Forums banner

shock length

6K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  chopperwarehouse 
#1 ·
hey guys..lowered my truck in the rear. Original shocks are 19 1/4" center of eye to eye. ....SHOCK MOUNTS ARE NOW 15 1/4...So, ...do I get shocks exactly 15 1/4?..or do I have to get a bit longer for a pre-load?...if it helps at all, I am looking to get some Tenneco coil overs..

#3 ·
Hey T-Bob, just a little expansion on what Steve said,,
When you pick your shocks there are many considerations. In the area of length here are a couple of things to remember. The shock needs to be able to travel (or said another way the suspension needs to be able to travel both directions) without the shock hitting bottom or the other way without the shock hitting full extension.
So you will need to know those numbers to be able to select a shock the right length. If you have a total length of suspension travel of say 8 inches, then you would want a shock that has a bit more travel than that, at least 8 1/2 inches or more. this would give you 1/4 of an inch each way to keep the shock from getting damaged by hitting the end of its travel.

Remember shocks are not ideally meant to support weight, or limit travel. They control the movement of your suspension during travel, that is the ideal situation. Of course there are air shocks and others, but that is a different disscussion.

#4 ·
You need your shocks to have more at both ends, and I usually get shocks that will go 1" farther in compression than the suspension travels, and 2" more than static eye to eye measurement extended. That will ensure they don't bottom or top out in normal driving.

#5 ·
I agree,,,more clearance from topping or bottoming out cannot hurt.

#9 ·
No, you need 14" shocks to get 2" over your static 12" length. Or rework your mounts to get into a more common length. 14" max travel is pretty long, and tough to find.
Monroe has a chart online that specifies all the various attachment ends, and lengths of travel for shocks they sell. It's a great resource to help you find out if something is available or not.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.