cams? - Page 4
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: cams?

Hey guys...thanks for all the info and advice....appears I am about 9.5 on the compression, running ported vortec heads set up for .525 lift, have a pro products intake and a demon 750 with a 350 turbo and 3;73 gears. I have read various articles on the heads and appears they run best with a .480 lift and split duration as I guess the exhaust doesn't flow as well as the intake. And as to Road Angel says...need to focus on what I.m GOING TO DO with the car...not what I wish to do with the car. Thanks for the info on the elgin cams and there lifters...no to mention the fuel tech info. Went to the meltdown drags Saturday, now I'm all pumped up to get back on my truck...now only if my finances were as strong as my ambition..lol...p.s...time for some phone calls to these cam guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

I'm probably going to be swapping cams again in my BBC Falcon this winter. I love this cam at the strip, but only get there once a summer. For the mostly street driving I do, it's not much fun to cruise with. Doesn't smooth out until I hit about 2400 rpm's, so I'm usually keeping the trans one gear lower to stay up there. It's got a wonderful sound, and nasty idle, but just not what I want for a mostly street driven gasser.
    Vall

Made some calls today and was directed to a Howards cam....480/.488 lift,.231/.235 duration with a 110 lobe center.needs a 2400 stall. any comments?..

Looks like the Howards #CL112141-10 which has a 110 LSA and should be a good street strip cam. Not a real high winding cam, so it's going to be a lot more useable than some cams that are more race grinds. I think the 2400 stall is a good suggestion, but could be used with a little less stall until a 2400 converter could be purchased.
    Vall

got a situation...engine i picked up has NEW COMPS THUMPR cam with 1.6 rockers. Everything ive been reading says these cams are all bark and no bite. so, I guess the question is with running the 1.6 rockers and increasing the lift, what will that do to the performancce?...use it ? or loose it? thanks

Not true about Thumpr Cams being all bark and no bite. Although they do sound bigger than they really are, their performance is not wimpy. I had the mid level Thumpr in my BBC Falcon, and it could lift the front wheels at launch with wrinkle wall slicks. It really depends on the whole engine build, and which Thumpr your engine has.
    Need to know the specs to determine what you have. The 1.6 rockers will give you slightly more lift, and should improve performance. Hopefully whoever changed to 1.6 rockers also changed pushrods to ensure they're running centered on the valve stems.
    Vall

Ditto on that. Any cam can be mismatched to heads, compression, intake, and carb.
    Mario

"I post the work on my hotrod, not because it's the best way, rather it was the way I had to get it done with the resources I had.................
    Of which I might be an encouragement to other hotrodders".

Lots of good suggestions many would be perfect for street strip in my opinion.

With all the Oil company's ditching the ZDDP additive in the engine oils due to EPA a Flat tappet has its short comings with every oil change youll need to add it too your oil so the Cam wont go Flat.
    Or buy special oil with it already in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Doright View Post
    Lots of good suggestions many would be perfect for street strip in my opinion.

With all the Oil company's ditching the ZDDP additive in the engine oils due to EPA a Flat tappet has its short comings with every oil change youll need to add it too your oil so the Cam wont go Flat.
    Or buy special oil with it already in it.
    I just got my first roller camshaft recently. Always done flat tappet and went through the 20 minute break in and used the correct oil. It's going to be strange to start an engine up and not have to run it 20 minutes at high rpm!
    Vall

Roller cams really are the way to go with today's oils.
    I too have always ran Flat tappet cams myself but it was always because of expense more than anything else.
    I am giving in after current in progress builds are out of the way and sold off.

Howards the creator of the Roller cam for Bikes and V8s back in the day has some really good grinds and exceptional value on Roller lifters.
    There kits are well made and prices are good.

https://www.howardscams.com/

12. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements