Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Inexpensive gauge pods

5K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  mmhotrod 
#1 ·
After adding the vacuum gauge to my Falcon, I had to build a single mounting plate, as I couldn't find a chrome or black plate for a single gauge. Then I later thought about checking for gauge pods, as I had years ago purchased 4 nice chrome pods from Summit for my Camaro at about $4-$5 each. Nothing available that wasn't crazy high priced at around $25 each!
Looking at Ebay I found a ton of very inexpensive pods for around $3 each, but all were black. No big deal as I figured I could paint the housing. I took a $3 chance (free shipping!) and got one. It came yesterday, and although it is plastic, it's nicely made to accept a 2" gauge.
I scuffed the outside with 600 grit, and gave it an aluminum paint job. Looks very close to my Autometer tach, which it will sit beside. A nice alternative to open plates with exposed connections on the back, and cheap.

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Lash! I removed my gauge yesterday and relocated it inside the new pod. Mounted the base next to my Autometer tach, and it looks much nicer on top of the dash without seeing the vacuum and electrical connections. I may purchase 4 more to hang under the dashboard on my '69 Suburban. It has a multi gauge panel, but these hanging upside down below would look better.

#4 ·
Nice find Vall. Great idea. I used exhaust pipe for my cluster around the steering column on my Chevy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.