Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Gasser of the Day

411K views 2K replies 42 participants last post by  HotRodPriest 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi ALL GHRers.....

A friend of mine is a photographer who attends a LOT of drag races & he especially likes to go to the "Nostalgia Drag Racing Event.

Practically everyday he sends a picture he calls "Gasser of the Day".

I thought I would post them here for everyone here to also enjoy.

IF you would like I could post the pictures here as best as I can keep up with doing so??????

Enjoy..... I do !!!!!! :cool:

See less See more
Reactions: HotRodPriest
#2 ·
Awesome idea. Love it john. Thanks for doin that.
Mm

#3 · (Edited)
Mario.... it would not surprise me to see a picture your gasser one day if it has not been used before. Bob attends the "Gasser Reunion" at Beaver Springs. When he goes to an event he takes multiple pictures of every car.

BTW..... How have you been feeling???? I am STILL hacking & have moments of feeling crummy!!!

Yesterday here in Pittsburgh we had an overnight low of 4 degrees with winds of 15 mph..... I froze at work. Then by lunch it was 43 degrees. Goofy Winter weather!!!!!

#4 ·
I'm starting to feel a lot better. I get an occasional coughing fit. But for the most part I'm gettin better slowly.
Thanks for asking. Took 2 courses of prednazone to get this far. I'm starting to get back into the MG
Take care of yourself. Hope you get back to normal again soon.
Mario

#13 · (Edited)
Gina & I are LUCKY to live in driving distance to Thompson Dragway (in Ohio) that only takes just over two hours to get to. It is "amazing" how many "survivor gassers & muscle cars" show up at the "Gasser Reunion (June) & Nationals (September) every year.

Good news is the local dragstrip just outside of Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh Raceway Park - the former Keystone Drag Strip is less than an hour to get to) is expanding it's Nostalgia racing day (Pittsburgh International & Keystone drag strips' reunion day) to TWO DAYS instead of ONE. This should attract a lot more cars and hopefully become as BIG as the "gasser events" held at Thompson & Beaver Springs (a four hour drive) to Pittsburgh.

#12 ·
John, great idea thank you for doing that. Something to look forward to every day. Now go take care of yourself. We need you sharp and computer friendly every day now, heh. Both of yo guys. Get well and enjoy the day. MArk

#14 ·
Great plan John - OpelGasser,
John, I am already hooked on this thread, looking forward to what you have for us today,,no pressure though,,,BUT, ITS ALMOST NOON AND I NEED MY FIX! hahaha

Is two Gassers a day to many?,,I'll upload one I saw at the winternationals last week,,in case there is anyone else out there looking for a "fix".

Only problem with the post below is,,,it is not an action photo like your buddy who goes to all the events, those Gassers yanking the wheels are the best!

56 VIC - Tom

Attachments

#15 ·
I like this '57 Ford a lot ! The paint reminds me of the color I painted my '67 Camaro (GM Mojave Gold).

Not all of Bob's pictures are action shots. He mixes the kind of pictures up very good.

I was just thinking...... what about leaving this thread open for anyone who wants to posts a "gasser picture" everyday or as often as they want to. Especially when someone finds a unique gasser or one they like & want to share.

#18 ·
....... breath of 110 octane,and burning rubber! ....... Andy
I agree Andy .... a smell I never tire of (no pun intended).

One thing I love about going to drag races, especially nostalgia/gasser events, is how Gina enjoys all of the things you mentioned as much as I do.

At Thompson we sit in our lawn chairs right next to the guard rail at the starting line ALL DAY !!!! It is so close to the cars you can almost reach out and touch the car in right lane. The only thing we like better is the nitro cars .... nothing like the smell of nitro and the way your body shakes from the "inside out"!!!!!

#19 ·
Yes Sir John, My Wife and I now live about 10 miles from Farmington Dragway 20 miles closer, We too do the same thing we sit next to the guardrail unless it's too hot and then we park under the trees and sit in the back of the Jeep. She enjoys it as much if not more than me.
Andy

#20 · (Edited)
Andy .... we are lucky husbands.... my only concern (I am actually happy) Gina wants to put "her name" on the "drivers door." Ever since she met gasser drag racer champion "Barbara Hamilton" she has wanted to one day take over driving the Opel. :)

If you not know about NHRA Hall of Famer Barbara Hamilton and all she did to promote & encourage women to partcipate in drag racing check out this info about her on the "gasser legend" website & "bangshift,com:

http://jrthompson.net/barbhamilton.html

http://bangshift.com/blog/mini-feature-barb-hamilton-s-1937-willys-gasser.html

#23 ·
Oh my god. I'm in love. As Im typing this I'm out to dinner with my wife. LOL
Mm

#25 · (Edited)
Gasser of the Day

Saturday

(took awhile to find this pic.... I knew I had it some where)

BTW....... Lots of talk about the little red gasser on the left..... what do you guys think???? No it is NOTan Opel.

Wish I could find a full picture of it by itself..... who knows Bob will probably sent it one day. He is quite a photographer.... in addition to being a really nice guy.

#26 ·
Here's proof of what will be going on with this thread..... posted (Friday) LATE last night and then today's post early morning.

Felt terrible after work yesterday.... even though it was only a 1/2 day. Came home & that d** flu bug came back..... slept most of the afternoon, evening & night away. Didn't wake up until after 10pm. Going to take it easy (try to) over the weekend.

Anyway not going to even try to post at a regular time of day..... Like a "Christmas tree" ya never know when the lights start to drop..... stay tuned & enjoy. I know I do.

#27 ·
Thanks for all your efforts John , feel better soon. You will , it will just take some time to get thru that Mario Flu. It was on the news you know. A strain they didn't pick up on. same symptoms we both had.
take care of yourself.
MM

#30 ·
Come on John, ya gotta get past that flu thing. Life sucks enough without that thing bitin' ya in the butt. Mario's been there so he knows it will eventually subside, but it sucks going thru it. I see they made this a "sticky". Great idea. That Dodge wagon is over top (I should tallk with all my ideas) but it is still fun to look at and I always appreciate the work to get it there. For some reason the little red gasser looks like a later model Morris Minor. But I think it's still something different. Hang in there and get better John.
Mark

#33 ·
Come on John, ya gotta get past that flu thing. Life sucks enough without that thing bitin' ya in the butt. Mario's been there so he knows it will eventually subside, but it sucks ...... For some reason the little red gasser looks like a later model Morris Minor. But I think it's still something different. Hang in there and get better John.
Mark
You're right Steve.... the "Mario-Flu" takes time to get rid of. Before I got it I remember him talking about how it keeps coming back ... and back... and back.

Everytime I think I'm turning the corner on this flu-bug and do some work in the shop instead of taking it easy and resting it comes back. Having crummy Winter weather here isn't helping any either.

You're also right .... the "liitle red gasser" is NOT a Morris Minor & it IS something different.

Any other guesses????