Gasser build - 56 fairlane, victoria - Page 3
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 3 of 36 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Gasser build - 56 fairlane, victoria

Radiator had to go,,,this one will handle a big block.

Aluminum Cross flow, painted it black so it would blend in.

I scrounged for a while to come up with a 62 "T-bird" radiator core (also a cross flow, and its about the size and shape I need) to rebuild so I could keep that 60's era look going,,, compromised for now...I'll find one

56 VIC - Tom
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2038.jpg   IMG_2039.jpg   IMG_2035.jpg   IMG_2043.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Found the right axle for the 56. 175 bucks, craigslist comes through again.

It was a running setup out of a 59 Ford truck. It came with a quaility aftermarket disk brake kit and the wide Ford, 5 x 5 1/2 bolt pattern.

Turns out the 32 1/4 inch Center to Center leaf spring width on that 59 axle is a PERFECT fit to center up on the frame rails of the Fairlane with a minimal amount of fabbing.

Looking around under the frame for the future fab work - it even looks like the factory Fairlane steering box may work for the steering set up that I will need, maybe just a pitman arm change!?

ALSO, while researching the right axle for my project I came across a website that is full of great axle information,,,, http://www.droppedaxles.com/FORD_AXL...7D81431412F231 ,,,,,Nostalgia "Sid" also turns out to be a nice, helpful guy that has tons of knowledge about axles and set ups.

Seems like the "God of Speed" is smiling lately!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3K83La3Nd5N55L25H9d4fca3a0ef161f71206.jpg   IMG_2506.jpg   IMG_2507.jpg   IMG_2508.jpg  
    Tom - "In the end the only thing that really matters is how you feel about yourself" Smokey Yunick

Smokey, 68 Camaro, Daytona track record holder against Penske.
    AVATAR = RANDOM PICS of 56 VIC'S

Since those rotors aren't redrilled to that pattern, they're probably Ford truck rotors from a late Ford. I see it's a bolt on steering arm, so easy to remove and put another on the top passenger side to cross steer to your stock box, or a new one.
    Vall

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Tom, looks like you've been busy gathering parts, I myself still have alot to get but the list is getting shorter.
    Andy

Gathering parts is fun! I especially like finding good used parts, as it's always a big money saver!
    Vall

Gathering parts and brainstorming to make sure they are going to work is a great part of a build. Especially when things seem like there are going to come together without a big "hitch".

As far as the steering arm goes Vall I think you are right. I believe I will be able to buy a steering arm from speedway or ???,,,and bolt it to the passenger side upper mounts. I talked with a friend that has a 56 VIC with a similar set up and he said when he put his axle on he was able to use his stock box, in the stock location, and even use the existing pitman arm! He just had to make a drag link with the "S" curve in it for the cross steer.

This all sounds good, real good.

Next step is to ball park the leaf springs, length and weight rating, etc, etc.... kind sounds like,,,voodoo

56 VIC - Tom

Quote Originally Posted by 56 VIC View Post
    Gathering parts and brainstorming to make sure they are going to work is a great part of a build..... 56 VIC - Tom
    Quote Originally Posted by 1946Austin View Post
    Gathering parts is fun! I especially like finding good used parts, as it's always a big money saver!

Finding "used parts" is like going on a "treasure hunt".....

John "Milner"
    Hot Rod wife: GinaHidden Content
    Pittsburgh, PA

Nostalgia Drag Car - Opel GT - Raced in Upstate NY.... '70's - '81

Those were the Days my Friend we thought they'd NEVER end ..... But they did !!!!

Email: Hidden Content

Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie ProMetalShop's Avatar
    Good scores Tom, glad to see the hunt moves forward.....
    Hidden Content
    ProMetalShop
    4431 Snydertown Road
    Danville PA.

If there's enough room lengthwise, you could probably use the truck springs and be very close to correct spring rating.
    Vall

What he said. You may want to have the springs re-arched to get a bit more lift. At least you are moving forward. Good luck!

Mike
    Liberty, In God We Trust, E PLURIBUS UNUM

Watch it tilt! => Hidden Content
    Watch my engine => Hidden Content
    My GMC Hidden Content
    Hidden Content

13. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements