Gasser build - 56 fairlane, victoria - Page 2
GasserHotRods.com is the premier All All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Gasser build - 56 fairlane, victoria

Quote Originally Posted by maddog3299 View Post
    Tom, glad to see your build thread up. Looking forward to that bad 56 get going. As far as not going overboard and the reasonable range, well, thats debatable
    maddog3299 - Mike,

Reasonable is a very subjective term don't you agree?

56 VIC - Tom

2. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

Home - safe at last

Here she is arriving on a Friday night at 8:00 what a great day.

Bought her off craigslist.

After many e-mails and pics back and forth to Missourri,,,

Transaction went well with the guy I bought her from but working with the car hauler company was not so great,,,geez.

If you guys ever want some insight into how that whole car-hauller-system works,,well, I have some insight that will save you lots of headache.

38 Days of aniticipation,,,,,My VIC was bought and paid for on the 18th of December. It's about a 4 day trip from Missourri to San Diego, I took delivery on the 25th of January.

GEEZ! 38 days,,,That was Tuff!

A 1956 and I bought her when she was 56 years old.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails COMPRESSED PICTURES.JPG  

Tom, I like the model box art, do you happen to have the model? If you do you would be amazed at how the suspension and steering and so forth are great to use as a blueprint for the full scaled model.
    Andy

5. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements

I've heard some of those horror stories about car haulers! Most take so long because they're waiting to fill a multi car trailer. Then they start their trip across the USA, and if you're on the far end your car gets there last!
    Vall

flynA Andy,
    I do not have the model, would be nice to find one though.

Sounds like you built a few models back as a kid? Were all just building bigger ones now. Lets face it we are bigger kids with bigger models, right?

56 VIC - Tom

PS, just checked E-bay,,there is a model 1956 Ford Fairlane "Strip Fowl" for 35 bucks,,,I resisted though for now anyway,,,I could see myself with WAY to much time gobbled up with that one,,,,,FOCUS FOCUS,,,,on the big toy
    Last edited by 56 VIC; 02-19-2013 at 11:50 PM. Reason: new info

1946Austin Vall,

You got it on the car hauler stuff. My rig had team drivers so they were always full,,, each stop, if my car was in the way of thier delivery, they would back it off get the one out they needed, then the 56 would go back on.

My car has visited more states in the union than I have!

I found out some supposed history that it was originally a California car, so it is now back where it started.

Lived in a garage in Missourri from 1997 till 2010. I did track that guy in Missourri down but lost the trail after talking to him.

56 VIC - Tom

Carb rebuild and problems identified

The first project: A carb rebuild.

Posted mostly to hopefully help another gearhead and save someone some headaches.

It was obvious the carb was not right from the day I got it home (it wanted the manual choke part way out - just to idle) A little squirt of carb spray around the base and I found the RPM would build and then drop back immediately. Simple base gasket R & R should fix the problem and of course a quick rebuild while I have the carb off the car. Sounds easy enough, eh?

First I found that the carb was not original. It was from a 63 truck. I checked the numbers stamped into the base of the carb (drivers side-front corner of the base of the carb) and the numbers "102" cast into the same side of the float bowl. That information told me the carb had the right jetting and the right venturi's for my application. It should work fine for my stock V8, 292 Cubic inch engine.

I rebuilt the carb and found it was in pretty good shape inside. Went together easily. It was back on the car in a snap.

Started right up, but was real rich even when stone cold, then quickly got to be much worse. It was apparent it was dumping "false fuel" into the intake - somehow.

Top of the carb off while still on the car and I found there were no problems with the needle and seat (the most likely culprit).

Bench testing the carb I found there was a problem with a gasket that was supplied as part of the kit.

When I filled the float bowl with fuel, I found it was running out about as fast as I was pouring it in.

Turns out that on the bottom of the float bowl there is an "economizer valve" or a valve most of us refer to as a "power valve". That valve was not sealing properly against the base of the carb. The problem was the gasket that was supplied with the rebuild kit, it was not thick enough. I found this when I saw a bright ring around aportion of the valve that should not be making metal to metal contact (see the picture below and the tip of my exacto knife).

I double stacked the gaskets to fix the problem. I used the new gasket, and I salvaged the old gasket I had "saved" durring disassembly, "just in case" I would need it (finally my excessive compulsive personality traits paid off).

Carb on, and few normal adjustments and all it good!!

As far as the pictures go and the quaility of this project...you will notice that I did not take any time to make things pretty on the outside, just cleaned things up. This engine is not,,,,.. a big block, need I say more?

Hope this helps someone, someday!

Next project for posting,,the hood hinge - it was cracked. - Not exactly exciting stuff so far, but I am enjoying it!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2456.jpg   20130128_123050.jpg   IMG_2457.jpg  
    Tom - "In the end the only thing that really matters is how you feel about yourself" Smokey Yunick

Smokey, 68 Camaro, Daytona track record holder against Penske.
    AVATAR = RANDOM PICS of 56 VIC'S

Old hood hinge gave out

Hood hinge ripped - repaired with a little something extra.

Saw the tearing metal, took the hood off soon as I noticed it,, as we were taking it off, it failed completley, we were holding it firm, so,,, no damage to the car.

If I had lowered it one more time,,it coulda went through the windshield or bent sumpthin up real good,,,

The "God of speed" was with us that day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_2442.jpg   IMG_2444.jpg   IMG_2446.jpg   IMG_2448.jpg   IMG_2450.jpg  

Tom - "In the end the only thing that really matters is how you feel about yourself" Smokey Yunick

Smokey, 68 Camaro, Daytona track record holder against Penske.
    AVATAR = RANDOM PICS of 56 VIC'S

Adminstrator And Sheet Metal Junkie ProMetalShop's Avatar
    That's a good looking repair. Good thing your grip force was with you ! ! That's another notch in the fix list.....
    Hidden Content
    ProMetalShop
    4431 Snydertown Road
    Danville PA.

I've seen that before when things get rusty and dried out, and people don't take a few minutes to lube up the old hinges. Glad you caught it and saved it before it did damage! I just went through the Falcon yesterday and shot all the hinge pivots with spray lube. It was making those horrible creaking noises when opened and closed, and a few shots got it moving like new again!
    Vall

13. Remove Advertisements
    GasserHotRods.com
    Advertisements