Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Interesting lamp tidbit.

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  1937Austin 
#1 ·
For those running regular old 1157 or 1034 lamps. Discovered this info while snooping around, and thought it was interesting. If you drive your hotrod during the day mostly, the 1034 lasts longer as a turn signal lamp.

"By David Sandoval, eHow Contributor
Automotive lamps burn out after a long period of use. Often, more than one bulb can serve as a replacement part for nearly any automotive lamp. For example, an 1157 automotive lamp is electrically compatible with a 1034 lamp. However, some notable differences between the two lamps may make one better than the other for your specific situation.

•Primary Filament Operation at 12.8 Volts
•The primary filament is used for normal marker-lamp (the rear light that comes on when you turn on your headlights) operation. The 1157 lamp can sustain 2.10 amps at 12.8 volts, and will last an average of 1,200 hours. The 1034 lamp can handle 1.80 amps at this voltage, and will last an average of 200 hours.

Secondary Filament Operation at 14 Volts

•The secondary filament is used for turn signal operations. The 1157 lamp can sustain 590 milliamps of electrical current at 14 volts, and lasts an average of 3,000 hours. The 1034 lamp lasts an average of 5,000 hours under these conditions.

Considerations When Choosing Which to Install

•Since both lamps are used as combination turn-signal and marker lamps, choose the lamp that suits your needs best. If you do a lot of daytime driving and require a long-lasting signal lamp, install the 1034 lamp. If you do a lot of nighttime driving, and do not need to use your turn signals often, choose the 1157 lamp."

See less See more
#2 ·
Vall,
That is interesting; I never knew about the 1034. I was having problems with the 1157 on one of my Harleys and installed one of the led units made to fit that socket and have no problems for over 8 years.

#3 ·
I also converted my Austin to LED when I built it, but Falcon is still incandescent. A few of us were talking about the 1034/1157 differences, and nobody knew the difference. So I googled it and found that tidbit. Was surprised, but I'll replace my lamps with 1034's as they go out, since I rarely drive the cars at night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.