Gasser HotRod Forums banner

Staighten you frame, quick and easy

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Road Angels 
#1 · (Edited)
I used my hydraulic ram for years. This was stuff i had around the shop, been using for the last few time, found it is much faster and easier to strighten your frame. I had some 5/8 all thread and four coupling nuts. These grip ends i got at Home depot, but you can weld a couple nuts or pipe on a 4 inch piece of 2 inch angle iron, to do the same thing.
I used a 6 inch C Clamp, and a 3/4 or 1" Bender, EMT or Pipe. Hold the area you don't want to bend, with the all thread. Them bend with the bender, see attachment. If you have any questions, e-mail me at gasserted@yahoo.com If you don't want to spend 2 or 300. bucks for a Hydraulic Bender, i found it was much easier and faster. Good Luck.
Make sure you box in you frame when done. Willys frame rails are not strong. Must be boxed, racing it or not....

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I also see you used a coil spring compressor hook end....good use of what you got and home depot can rent you the bender...great Idea and using what you got it does not get any better...A old friend of mine told me people bought the Willys cause they were much cheaper than the fords and chevys and made much cheaper...nice write up thank you for the ideas

#3 ·
Cool bit of tech, thanks for sharing. Never a bad idea to use things on hand or less costly options to get a job done.

Something I'd like to add, this made me think of it. When doing a parallel leaf front end, use a spreader bar or clamp to keep the leafs truly "parallel" when final torquing the front end assembly/ spring u bolts.

It's one thing to have everything set up square on the I-beam/springs/ mounts when fabbing and stuff is snug or finger tight. But final assembly with weight of brakes, order of assembly, bad luck, or whatever might pull leaf springs out of parallel and cause a shackle to be cocked to the side causing a potential point of failure.

Not completely related but your post about getting things straight and safe made me think of it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.